Home News Reviews Forums Shop

LG GGC-H20L (Super Multi Blue) DAE speed problems :(

Blu-ray Disc Writers, BD Combo and BD-ROM Drives

LG GGC-H20L (Super Multi Blue) DAE speed problems :(

Postby ES_Revenge on Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:34 am

I'm having a pretty bad time trying to extract audio properly with a GGC-H20L (which is the BD-reader-only version of the GGW-H20L discussed here on the forum--same drive minus BD writing facility).

Initially when I used EAC (v.99 prebeta 3) it kept telling me the drive caches audio data, as in "Drive Caches Audio Data: YES" upon running the drive tests. This seemed strange to me since I've never seen another LG drive in recent times that's cached audio data. Furthermore on the review page of the GGW here it clearly shows that drive not caching audio data.

I tried the older version of EAC and I kept getting error messages trying to load my saved settings from file, so I just went back to .99 prebeta 3 again. This time it started saying "No" to caching audio data so I thought I was on my way.

But then I ran into another problem. The extraction speed seems to take place at 10x lower than it should! If I leave EAC on the default extraction speed of "Actual" the extraction never goes over 4x. If I try to set the speed to one of the values in the drop-down box it seems to take effect but slower by one order of magnitude. I.e. If I select "10.0X" extraction goes at 1.0x! If I try "40.0X" it just goes back to 4x tops.

Anyone know what the problem might be? (OS is Vista x64, E6600 CPU, 2GB RAM, drive is attached to the built-in Intel ICH9R controller on a Gigabyte G33 board.)

The review of the GGW on this site shows no problems with DAE and it seems to extract quite well, from the results. I have two other LG DVD-RW drives, an older IDE GSA-4163B and a newer SATA GSA-H62L (which was actually previously in the same machine on the same cable as the newer H20L), and both extract audio without issues.

As you can imagine, ripping an Audio CD at 4x is quite annoying in this day and age. Any help would be appreciated!
ES_Revenge
Buffer Underrun

Postby tourrilhes on Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:48 pm

Hi,

There seems to be conflicting information on the web about LG drives and caching. Even the daefeatures web site is confused about it.

http://www.daefeatures.co.uk/search.php

I personally tested two old CD writers from LG. One had definitely a cache, and the other probably had not. The tool "cache explorer" gave results all over the map for the second drive, but EAC reliably say "no cache". So, cache detection may not be bullet proof.

Note that I found that the drive I tested more (the second, non-caching one) would give undetected errors with EAC in secure mode (C2 enabled and disabled), but that may be specific to that old model. In other words, I would use AccurateRip to make sure the drive is good.

Finding a good enough hardware for DAE is very frustrating (let alone a perfect hardware). Good luck.

Jean
tourrilhes
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:49 am

Yeah, there seems to be an issue with EAC. I've tried various settings and the best I can get out of the drive is a maximum speed of 6.2x and an average of 5.2x. Ripping the same disc with CD DAE yields much faster speeds.

I have never dealt with the developers of EAC but you might want to send them an email and let them know what is happening.
Attachments
LG GGC-H20L EAC Rip.png
LG GGC-H20L EAC Rip.png (6.89 KiB) Viewed 2887 times
LG GGC-H20L CD DAE.png
LG GGC-H20L CD DAE.png (9.18 KiB) Viewed 2888 times
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby ES_Revenge on Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:06 pm

Hey thanks for the test results Ian!

I posted the same question on the EAC forums and also posted a link to your results here. I'm not sure if it will be fixed or if it's fixable in EAC, but I hope so.
ES_Revenge
Buffer Underrun

Postby hoxlund on Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:55 pm

overall how is this drive? i need a blue ray player for my computer, just got the gateway 24inch lcd monitor which handles 1080p no problem

it can be had for $280 free shipping on newegg right now, thats pretty cheap http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6827136133
Thermaltake Core X5 Snow Edition TG Case
Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
AMD Threadripper 1950x @ 4.1GHz
Custom Loop w/ EK MSI x399 Monoblock
G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 3200 RGB Memory
MSI 1080Ti Lightning X Video Card
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:13 pm

hoxlund wrote:overall how is this drive? i need a blue ray player for my computer, just got the gateway 24inch lcd monitor which handles 1080p no problem

I really like it.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Return to Blu-ray Disc Drives