Home News Reviews Forums Shop

1st dvd burn

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

1st dvd burn

Postby pkd7423 on Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:58 pm

To all,

Ok....admittedly not to hip with burning....previously have just burned data CD's

Last night I video captured the Olsen twins movie for my daughter. Right around 6 gig for a 2 hr movie. When I recorded it to disk....I was asked a question about record quality....with dvd, good, longer, and video cd being the options...

I chose dvd quality and ended up with a ~6 gig file.

I'd like to burn it onto a DVD for use in her set top player.

I thought I would just go thru Nero SmartStart > Make DVD-Video > add video files

At this point it says that I exceed capcity and would I like to automatically reduce quality so it will fit....I say yes...and it says couldn't be done far enough automatically...try doing it manually....

How do I do this?

Next I tried to use Recode dvd-video and I wasn't able to get too far with that either....

Could somebody give me a step by step on this?

Thanks,

PK Davis
PK Davis
pkd7423
Buffer Underrun

Postby UALOneKPlus on Mon Nov 17, 2003 1:46 am

Step 1) use DVD Decrypter to rip the movie to your hard drive

Step 2) use DVDShrink to compress the movie to less than 4.5 GB to fit on a single DVD

Step 3) use Nero to burn the files onto DVD (drag all the files to the VIDEO_TS folder, and finalize the DVD)

See www.doom9.org for guides and more details.
"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint you can on it."
-Danny Kaye
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

Re: 1st dvd burn

Postby Spazmogen on Mon Nov 17, 2003 6:49 am

pkd7423 wrote:Right around 6 gig for a 2 hr movie. When I recorded it to disk....I was asked a question about record quality....with dvd, good, longer, and video cd being the options...

Thanks,

PK Davis

Davis:
Check the input quality. Were you capturing it in .mpg or .avi mode (the captured file will tell you which mode, just look at the file name).

I captured a 90 minute concert from VHS, through my Mini DV camcorder and out to the computer (not using the tape in camcorder) via firewire and the whole 90 minute concert was 18GB. It was an .avi file.

I also got the same options as you, when it was time to process the file.
Now, when I went to burn the concert, Nero re-encoded it down to about 3.5gb which is just about right (Nero even used Dolby Digital too!). That process took nearly 10 hours overnight.

It just seems the file you had for a 2 hour movie was small (unless you ripped it from a commercial DVD).

If you ripped it from a DVD, follow the link to www.doom9.org provided in the earlier post. Doom9 has wonderful how to guides.

Personally, I use DVD2ONE to extract just the main movie file & audio tracks I want, then burn it with Nero. CloneDVD also does a similar job.
e6400 Core 2 Duo @ 2.13ghz
GeForce 7600GT 256mb PCI-e
2gb DDR2 667mhz Patriot ram 1.8v in d/c
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 F10 BIOS
WD Caviar SE16 250GB SATA300 7200RPM 16MB Buffer
Samsung SATA2 80gb 7200rpm
Samsung SH-S182D 18x DVD burner
Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Postby pkd7423 on Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:43 am

To all,

Thanks for the comments!

I recorded it from commercial TV.....CBS I think.....so it has commercials and everything that goes into a 2 hr program.

The file as it sits on my hard drive is a mpg.

I have used a player to view some of it and the quality is ok....given the source.

Looks like I can use step 2 and go right to DVDshrink.

Are there any cool ways to edit out the commericials?

Thanks,
PK Davis
pkd7423
Buffer Underrun

Postby CCampbell on Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:38 pm

You've been provided many good suggestions already.

But just FYI, you can use NeroVision Express 2 to edit the Commercials on your source video file.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby pkd7423 on Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:36 am

My file is a ~6gig mpg from commercial tv. I didn't rip it from a DVD.

I don't think (after getting) shrinkDVD that it works with this kind of file.

Do I need to convert it to another format?

Thanks,
PK Davis
pkd7423
Buffer Underrun

Postby treemana on Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:14 am

pkd7423,

When using Nero Video Express, if the resulting files are too large to fit on a disk, you should be given the option to record them to a hard drive folder. You should then be able to run DVD Shrink on this folder. "Open Files" and find the VIDEO_TS.IFO file. Select "Backup" pick the directory to store the compresses files. (Note: Nero Recode might work also. - Haven't tried it yet.) You should then be able to burn the compressed files to a DVD disk using Nero.

BTW for next time, try recording at a video bit rate of 4000kbs (Audio: 384kbs stereo). This setting will allow you to store about 2 hrs on a DVD disk.

Good luck!
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure...
treemana
CD-RW Player

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)