Home News Reviews Forums Shop

PX-716 vs. BenQ 1640

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

PX-716 vs. BenQ 1640

Postby MonsterMan on Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:09 pm

All right. Going to add a burner.
Main needs: as close to perfect burn quality with TY (+R)/Verbatium MCC media (ie, I only will be using the highest quality discs). Verbatiums I'll only buy if they are NOT the "Made In Taiwan" discs.
Speed here is unimportant. I'll burn 8x discs at 8x if the quality is going to be better!

I will need to burn some DVD+R DL discs. Here, the Plex seems to have the advantage. Yes, the 1640 is faster, but the Plex has higher burn quality. Of course, haven't seen what the 1640 can do at lower speeds, so...

Plex also comes in SATA - an advantage for me, due to case design (and number of optical drives) that makes routing IDE cables to the top of the tower a pain.

I do not care about medium/low quality media burning. For that, I have my BenQ 1620 :) Which also does great with just about anything.

So: thoughts? Or am I missing a drive that I should be paying attention too? Hey, if I could get a new Pioneer 107 I would - and use only TY -R's. Those burned on my old 107 were close to perfect. I miss that drive :cry:
MonsterMan
CD-RW Player

Postby Gen-An on Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:52 pm

Good luck finding any Verbatim media not made in Taiwan, unless you're in Europe, and you might find some Verbatim made in India. To the main topic, though, since you have a BenQ drive already give the 716SA a whirl if it won't cost you too much. Then you can compare scans of burns done on both drives with CD Speed (with the BenQ) and PlexTools (with the Plex), a hobby which can easily become obsessive!
Gen-An
CD-RW Player

Postby Scour on Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:03 pm

Gen-An wrote:Good luck finding any Verbatim media not made in Taiwan, unless you're in Europe, and you might find some Verbatim made in India.

After reading many threads I´m sure that Made in Taiwan is still better than Made in India.
Benq DW 1640 and 1650 , Plextor PX-755, Pioneer BDR-208 and 209D, LG GH24NSC0, LG BH16NS40 and 16NS55, Liteon ihas 124F and 324F, Pioneer DVR-215 and S21, Samsung SH-224DB and 224GB, and some more

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player

Postby Gen-An on Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:17 pm

Scour wrote:
Gen-An wrote:Good luck finding any Verbatim media not made in Taiwan, unless you're in Europe, and you might find some Verbatim made in India.

After reading many threads I´m sure that Made in Taiwan is still better than Made in India.

I really don't have a problem with MCC media made in Taiwan; I just wish Prodisc and CMC especially would tighten up the quality control. I've had batches of CMC-made MCC003 that were perfect, while others had serious problems (mainly near the outer edge). Some people seem to have an instant bias against anything CMC touches, but frankly I've had good results even with CMC's own 8x +R media.
Gen-An
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:50 pm

Scour wrote:

Verbatim 8x DVD-R: Made in Taiwan (Prodisc) are worse than Made in India (MBIL) on BenQ 1620.
but this is (probably?) an issue of the drive, not liking this particular Verbatim DVD-R Prodisc media.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Return to DVD Writers