Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Are TYG02 FAKES?

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Are TYG02 FAKES?

Postby liteonrules on Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:55 pm

I just bought 100 pack $27.99 4X DVD-R taiyo yuden TYG02 from TECHBARGAINS.COM AND i was wondering could these be fakes. i thought that the 4x were TYG01 but i received TYGO2. They burn at 12x on my modified firmware NEC 3500A but i no longer have a BENQ OR A LITEON to scan them for quality testing.
i was also would like to know if there is a program to scan these discs with the NEC 3500A
NEC 2500A $20 10/04
NEC 3500AG for $47 4/05
NEC 3540 for $35 9/05
BENQ 1620 for $36 9//05
liteonrules
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:22 pm

The only way to know if by looking at the serial number on the disc. Post the serial number, and I'll tell you if it's made by Taiyo Yuden, and possibly even who made it if they AREN'T Taiyo Yuden :wink:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Re: Are TYG02 FAKES?

Postby Boba_Fett on Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:47 am

liteonrules wrote:I just bought 100 pack $27.99 4X DVD-R taiyo yuden TYG02 from TECHBARGAINS.COM AND i was wondering could these be fakes. i thought that the 4x were TYG01 but i received TYGO2. They burn at 12x on my modified firmware NEC 3500A but i no longer have a BENQ OR A LITEON to scan them for quality testing.
i was also would like to know if there is a program to scan these discs with the NEC 3500A

Techbargains is not a store, they link to good deals on other sites. Where did you buy them exactly, if you told me that I could possibly deduce whether they are fake or not by that.
eVGA NF4 SLI mobo
Opteron 165 Dual Core 1MB cache @ 2.5ghz
2GB Mushkin DDR PC4000
2x160GB & 1x250GB 7,200RPM SATA w/NCQ
eVGA Geforce 7900 GTO 512MB PCI-e
Pioneer 111D 16x DVD burner
Onboard Sound :(
Boba_Fett
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:34 am

Maybe Supermedia store.
Note 2 things of supermedia store deals.

1 Shrinkwraps sucks for DVD recordables. In other words good media is trashed thanks to bad packageing.

2 If it's supermedia store then it's genuine TY however it's the budget/value version which means that it's a lower quality version. Still ok media but less good as the more expensive stuff. (For this reason 8x code on 4x approved media.)
RJW
CD-RW Player

this is on the ring of the disc

Postby liteonrules on Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:09 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:The only way to know if by looking at the serial number on the disc. Post the serial number, and I'll tell you if it's made by Taiyo Yuden, and possibly even who made it if they AREN'T Taiyo Yuden :wink:

this was on the disc in the middle GG000099 BUT if there is something else i need to give you , please tell what program i could use to give you the serial number
NEC 2500A $20 10/04
NEC 3500AG for $47 4/05
NEC 3540 for $35 9/05
BENQ 1620 for $36 9//05
liteonrules
CD-RW Player

Re: this is on the ring of the disc

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:59 pm

liteonrules wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:The only way to know if by looking at the serial number on the disc. Post the serial number, and I'll tell you if it's made by Taiyo Yuden, and possibly even who made it if they AREN'T Taiyo Yuden :wink:

this was on the disc in the middle GG000099 BUT if there is something else i need to give you , please tell what program i could use to give you the serial number

Looks like the legit stuff to me! :D
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

thanks dude

Postby liteonrules on Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:40 pm

i am happy to hear that these are legit, thanks dolphinius_rex. i hope to buy a used liteon dvd rw cheap somewhere just for testing purposes and maybe use as dvd rom to download the movies on to harddrive then back to my NEC 3500
NEC 2500A $20 10/04
NEC 3500AG for $47 4/05
NEC 3540 for $35 9/05
BENQ 1620 for $36 9//05
liteonrules
CD-RW Player

Postby hoxlund on Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:55 am

how cheap can you get a used litey?

$47 and you have yourself a new drive from newegg
Thermaltake Core X5 Snow Edition TG Case
Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
AMD Threadripper 1950x @ 4.1GHz
Custom Loop w/ EK MSI x399 Monoblock
G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 3200 RGB Memory
MSI 1080Ti Lightning X Video Card
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:28 am

LiteON's are unrealistic testers anyways... if you have to have only 1 drive for testing (2 or threee would be preferable) I would suggest the BenQ DW1620. It can measure Jitter quite well, and the PIE and PIF scores are often much more realistic then any LiteON I've seen.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby rdgrimes on Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:27 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:LiteON's are unrealistic testers anyways... if you have to have only 1 drive for testing (2 or threee would be preferable) I would suggest the BenQ DW1620. It can measure Jitter quite well, and the PIE and PIF scores are often much more realistic then any LiteON I've seen.

I think what you mean is that your Benq gives you the results you want to see. There's no such thing as "realistic" or "unrealistic" error scans. They are what the are, in whatever drive is used.
Current drives running here: ND-2500A, ND-3500A, ND-3520A,
LTR-52327S, SOHW-1633S, SOHR-52A8S
rdgrimes
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:41 am

rdgrimes wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:LiteON's are unrealistic testers anyways... if you have to have only 1 drive for testing (2 or threee would be preferable) I would suggest the BenQ DW1620. It can measure Jitter quite well, and the PIE and PIF scores are often much more realistic then any LiteON I've seen.

I think what you mean is that your Benq gives you the results you want to see. There's no such thing as "realistic" or "unrealistic" error scans. They are what the are, in whatever drive is used.

Ok then... how about this?

The scans provided by LiteON drives, especially in the case of newer models, provide information which is highly unreliable when compared to the real world results of the media that was tested.

Where the term "real world results" is used, I am referring to how the disc performs in a wide range of DVD-ROMs and DVD Players.

To further explain my point, I am saying that the scans provided by LiteON DVDRW drives are more likely to provide a person with information which will cause them to make erroneous or potentially data-unsafe decisions, when compared to either a Plextor or a BenQ based drive, or even compared to a transfer rate test run on most DVD-ROM units at 12x or higher.

But in general, I thought it summed up the above pretty nicely to say that the scans were "unrealistic" because the results shown often point to unrealistic expectations for the media tested.

Better?

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby rdgrimes on Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:33 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:
rdgrimes wrote:

Ok then... how about this?

The scans provided by LiteON drives, especially in the case of newer models, provide information which is highly unreliable when compared to the real world results of the media that was tested.

Where the term "real world results" is used, I am referring to how the disc performs in a wide range of DVD-ROMs and DVD Players.

To further explain my point, I am saying that the scans provided by LiteON DVDRW drives are more likely to provide a person with information which will cause them to make erroneous or potentially data-unsafe decisions, when compared to either a Plextor or a BenQ based drive, or even compared to a transfer rate test run on most DVD-ROM units at 12x or higher.

But in general, I thought it summed up the above pretty nicely to say that the scans were "unrealistic" because the results shown often point to unrealistic expectations for the media tested.

Better?

I'd say that's a load of complete nonsense, and not substantiated by any actual test results, and also in complete contradiction to the experiense of the majority of people. Not to mention it demonstrates a questionable understanding of what is being reported in the tests.
rdgrimes
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:51 am

rdgrimes wrote:I'd say that's a load of complete nonsense, and not substantiated by any actual test results,

You don't read my reviews do you? Or even compare the results of transfer rate tests and other scans done now by Ian as well on HIS reviews?

rdgrimes wrote:and also in complete contradiction to the experiense of the majority of people.

No, it's just contradictory to what (in my personal opinion), lazy people who prefer a quantity of tests over quality of results tend to push on people. It's not my fault that certain influential groups of people have pushed poor methods of testing on to large groups of people, since it makes them look good, and gives consumers a feeling of control and understanding which isn't really warranted.

rdgrimes wrote:Not to mention it demonstrates a questionable understanding of what is being reported in the tests.

It has been said that to be damned by the devil is to be truly blessed.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby rdgrimes on Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:23 am

Like I said, a questionable understanding of what is being tested, and the meaning of the results. Comparing results from different drives is, and always has been, foolish and a waste of time. Resorting to name calling just further demonstrates your insecurity. It's also very irresponsible to suggest to the uninformed public that they shouldn't test their media because the drive they happen to have doesn't measure up to your ill-conceived standards. What's important is that people do SOME kind of quality testing, that they only do it on one drive and with one set of testing parameters to approximate some sort of control and consistancy.
Comparing results from different drives is just confusing, and proves nothing.
rdgrimes
CD-RW Player

Postby tony_g on Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:38 pm

Ok, maybe I am a newbie (on this forum) but it is my understanding that only testing with one burner will give you a good indication of being able to read the data on THAT burner, BUT it is an unreliable way of knowing if it will be readable on a different brand of burner. Thus testing on as many different drives as possible is a good way of "future proofing" and not tying yourself to one brand of burner.

My question to both of you is: Is this a fair assumption?

IF it is a fair question than I believe that, for a single burner owner, Liteon's are a less than optimal choice for backing up data due to their unreliable reporting of a potentially bad burn.
tony_g
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:08 pm

tony_g wrote:Ok, maybe I am a newbie (on this forum) but it is my understanding that only testing with one burner will give you a good indication of being able to read the data on THAT burner, BUT it is an unreliable way of knowing if it will be readable on a different brand of burner. Thus testing on as many different drives as possible is a good way of "future proofing" and not tying yourself to one brand of burner.

My question to both of you is: Is this a fair assumption?

IF it is a fair question than I believe that, for a single burner owner, Liteon's are a less than optimal choice for backing up data due to their unreliable reporting of a potentially bad burn.

The main problem is that on multiple occasions I have run into situations where even when my LiteON reported a good burn, the disc was barely readable on that drive, or even was not readable to the end of the disc. With newer DVDRW drives, this is even true for testing CD-R/RW media, which was not true in the older LiteON CD-RW drives :cry:

This is why I believe that a transfer rate test is the best way of testing a disc for people who are not willing to spend a serious amount of effort understanding their discs.

It is *VERY* easy to get the wrong impression of a disc's performance by only looking at a PI/PIF score test, but if the disc fails a transfer rate test, the problem is obvious.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:08 pm

Alright guys.. let's be civil here. Both of you have your opinions, but I'm not liking the way things are heading. Be nice or I'll have to put my moderator underwear on.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby RJW on Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:34 pm

The general message Dolphinius REX said is right : New Lite On's are less good scanners as Benq 1620 (PRO) or Plextor 712/715 to use for indication of how the media performs overall.
Still his formulation on some points could be a better and leaves the space open to argue about the thing.
However he's not the only one.(just check some other comments in this topic or check some other posts. Remember nobody's perfect.)

Check also the followeing statements on the topic by Halc. http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic. ... 525#139525
I think that one says it better when we're disccusing lite on as testers . (I mean what's behind the [evil jest mode on] and on which I reacted with the 3 applause emoticons.)
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:50 pm

Ian wrote:Alright guys.. let's be civil here. Both of you have your opinions, but I'm not liking the way things are heading. Be nice or I'll have to put my moderator underwear on.

LOL i thought it was "moderator cap" or "moderator hat".
i guess things are a little more kinky here @ CDRLabs :D
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby RJW on Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:56 pm

Yeah that comment of Ian really scared me. It will make me look twice my postings to make sure there polite enough. :D
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:35 pm

RJW wrote:Yeah that comment of Ian really scared me. It will make me look twice my postings to make sure there polite enough. :D

Yeah, it shut me up for sure! :o

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby flashware on Tue May 03, 2005 2:04 pm

Boba_Fett wrote:
liteonrules wrote:I just bought 100 pack $27.99 4X DVD-R taiyo yuden TYG02 from TECHBARGAINS.COM AND i was wondering could these be fakes. i thought that the 4x were TYG01 but i received TYGO2. They burn at 12x on my modified firmware NEC 3500A but i no longer have a BENQ OR A LITEON to scan them for quality testing.

Techbargains is not a store, they link to good deals on other sites. Where did you buy them exactly, if you told me that I could possibly deduce whether they are fake or not by that.

Sorry to raise this thread from the dead.. found it in a google search, but just wondering my "Tuyo Yuden" discs, the code on each one is: 8MA2180206 - any idea what they REALLY are?

Cheers
flashware
Buffer Underrun

Postby Kitto on Tue May 03, 2005 10:43 pm

flashware wrote:Sorry to raise this thread from the dead.. found it in a google search, but just wondering my "Tuyo Yuden" discs, the code on each one is: 8MA2180206 - any idea what they REALLY are?

Cheers

Looks like a fake TY... sorry to hear about that...
Kitto
Buffer Underrun

Postby flashware on Tue May 03, 2005 10:49 pm

Yeh, thats what I figured... damn Aussie crap! :(

If the media guru could identify what they are for me, that'd be super :D

Cheers
flashware
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed May 04, 2005 12:47 am

flashware wrote:Sorry to raise this thread from the dead.. found it in a google search, but just wondering my "Tuyo Yuden" discs, the code on each one is: 8MA2180206 - any idea what they REALLY are?

Cheers

Is that the ONLY serial number on the disc? if so, is it in the clear plastic part of the disc, or the mirror band? if not, please also list the second serial number, and where it is located.

This number doesn't fit my existing serial number systems, but it might be new. It doesn't look like real Taiyo Yuden though :(

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Next

Return to DVD Writers