Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Backitup NB.txt and ID different...

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Backitup NB.txt and ID different...

Postby Randolfx on Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:11 pm


I'm not sure if this is a new one, I browsed the forum but haven't found anything. Yesterday my computer was acting pretty bad so I used Backitup to get all our digital pics off. I used 8.3 format since the names were too big. It took 6 DL DVD's since it was 45 meg.

When I rebooted it never started back up so I've had to reinstall all the software. I finally got to the point to restore the backup's but when i loaded the nbi from disc 6 and put in disc 1, the ID it presents is different than the ID's in the NB.txt files so it won't restore. All the discs have the same first part in nb.txt and the proper -1 or -2 at the end but it's different from what backitup is saying.

I can copy the files off the discs but all the names are tilded (8.3) as well as the folder names. I think I can make a copy of the current DL with another and just use a different NB.txt file with the ID it's asking for but is this recommended and I don't want to use any more DL's since they are still pricey.

Is there another way to change the ID it's looking for???

Any help would be appreciated.
Buffer Underrun
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:43 pm

Postby VideoRoy on Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:39 pm

I have only started using BackitUp myself so do no have much experience but the last time I looked at the backup sets I thought they did not care where they are located.

So what I am suggesting is maybe you could just copy the backup sets to the hard drive instead and modify the NBDBList.ini.

Most have my backups have been to HD with Nero 7.
DRU500A-2.1A, DRU710A-BYX5, PX716A-1.11, DW1655-BCIB, LH-20A1H-LL0C, GMA-4080N-0S35
Pioneer DVR-633H-s
CD-RW Player
Posts: 161
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:39 am

Postby Randolfx on Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:47 pm

Thanks for the info Roy... I think I found a deeper issue. When I started the backup (around 10:11am) i used the compression options etc.. but canceled it since it was taking forever and i didn't know how long my computer was going to last. I then started over again after 50 minutes of compression (11:32am).

I copied the folders to my hard drive and selected the rbi file from disc 6 to try it out. i then browsed to the folder i copied the files to and changed the nb.txt to match the number. It looked like it started to work but everything errored. The folder name the log file was looking for was:

C:\Temp\Backup\Disk1\20060204_101108_HP_Administrator etc...

but the real folder was:


I then proceeded to change the folder name and it failed again. I discovered that farther along the folder it's requesting to get isn't even on disc1. I think I may have to bite the bullet on this one.

sigh :(
Buffer Underrun
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:43 pm

Postby Randolfx on Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:52 am

Well I copied everything to the hard drive thinking that if it was all in one place it would find the correct folders and files. The final thing I've run into is that it is looking for files with .nco at the end which i'm assuming is the "compressed" version. I think I'll stop the madness at renaming each file's extention since it will fail to uncompress them regardless.

I guess on the good side I have all the files uncompressed just named improperly.

On the down side, my hard drive is louder again and starting to clunk.. I'm beginning to think that the HD itself may be bad.

I had hoped there was a way to edit the nbi file to remove the fact its looking for compressed files and the folder name etc.
Buffer Underrun
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:43 pm

Postby Randolfx on Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:16 am

Eureka! Prior to cutting and pasting all the information I thought to myself, why was it asking for disc 1 again after it failed on disc 1. Logically it would have asked for disc 2.

So before I hit paste, I ran the program again. Of course it was asking for the wrong nb.txt ID and the wrong folder name and compressed files. When that finished it popped up asking for disc 1 again. I looked at the ID it was requesting and lo and behold it was the good one. I simply went and put the id back to the way it was and renamed the folder back and poof, I'm at 40 gig restored out of 45 gig!

So this is a heads up to people in the same position. If you cancel the start of a backup while its compressing etc, you may want to close the entire app down otherwise you may run into the same problem. Otherwise, let it fail on disc 1 and you should be fine. Using the disc's themselves it will keep asking for the invalid disc 1 over and over, so copy to the hard drive first and browse to it and let it 'fail' then it should ask for the proper disc 1 and you are on your way.

Buffer Underrun
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:43 pm

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

All Content is Copyright (c) 2001-2022 CDRLabs Inc.