Home News Reviews Forums Shop

BENQ - are these blank CD's still made by ACER ?

Burn baby burn!

BENQ - are these blank CD's still made by ACER ?

Postby Phil K on Fri Dec 13, 2002 7:31 am

I am stalling on buying a spindle of 50 BENQ CD's - if they were the ATROCIOUS "CMC" I may as well bin them. But Benq's original name was ACER and I always found ACER blanks fine. So I am in a quandry, after the amount of trouble I have had lately with CMC blanks (which STAY blank because my crappy PLEX 24x has become sniffy about media for some reason -turning down ALL cheapies not just CMC, but not ONE CMC will record)
So does anyone know who make the CMC spindle's ??? :-?
Phil K
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Fri Dec 13, 2002 10:20 am

CMC makes CMC discs. There does appear to be more variability in the quality of discs made by CMC than by other manufacturers. I think they make more different grades. Have you checked the media compatibility thread?

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6005

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby jase on Fri Dec 13, 2002 10:59 am

Think that was a typo. Benq/Acer media has always been made by Acer Labs, Gigastorage or occasionally Ritek in my experience.

I haven't seen any Acer media made by CMC, and I seem to recall a dispute between the two companies about 3 or 4 years ago regarding copyright or something so I would doubt Acer would use CMC media now.

Where are you getting them from Phil?
jase
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:11 am

To make it even more confusing, Acer Media Technology has been renamed to Daxon Technology, Inc so you might see BenQ media made by them.

http://www.daxontech.com/
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Phil K on Fri Dec 13, 2002 1:51 pm

Hi Jase. Looking forward to meeting us TOON lads down there shortly ? ;)

They'll be from AMAZON uk if I get 'em, mate. 50 for £13 or something. Its mainly as a Chrissie prezzie from wor lass :) Yeah, I realise you can get a FAR FAR cheaper deal for 50 in a spindle, but as I say I'd prefer NOT to get CMC. Thats why I stopped buying Verbatim and Philips. :x

Actually if I knew where to get Taiyo Yuden in a 50 spindle I'd much prefer them. But they're as rare as an honest politician in the UK. :cry:
Phil K
Buffer Underrun

Postby Phil K on Fri Dec 13, 2002 1:55 pm

Ian - not making it easy for us are they ? :)
So then, are DAXON any good ? Of all the "cheapies", the only ones I have had no problem with have been "ProDisk" (ePerformance) They have been GREAT for me.
Phil K
Buffer Underrun

Postby Phil K on Fri Dec 13, 2002 1:59 pm

cfitz wrote:CMC makes CMC discs. cfitz

They also make a whole raft of "name" makes. Including Verbatim TDK Philips and a lot of others, who, like the 3 mentioned don't give you the info to make up your own minds. As a result, I have stopped buying the above 3. CMC are, to put it mildly, CRAP.
Phil K
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Fri Dec 13, 2002 2:08 pm

Phil K wrote:They also make a whole raft of "name" makes. Including Verbatim TDK Philips and a lot of others, who, like the 3 mentioned don't give you the info to make up your own minds. As a result, I have stopped buying the above 3. CMC are, to put it mildly, CRAP.

I don't know if this will help you across the Atlantic, but we have compiled some tips on how to identify manufacturers in America, before you purchase, by inspecting the packaging:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7280

As far as I know, the Verbatim ValueLife discs are made by CMC using CMC processes, but the Verbatim DataLife Plus discs are made using Mitsubishi Chemicals processes (although there have been rumours that some of these are made in CMC plants with the Mitsubishi process).

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Phil K on Fri Dec 13, 2002 3:23 pm

cfitz, excellent info. Thanks. ;)
Phil K
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Fri Dec 13, 2002 3:51 pm

You are welcome. And don't forget all the others who contributed to that thread. It was a collaborative effort.

Let us know if you see anything different. We can always use more contributions.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives