Home News Reviews Forums Shop


Blu Ray discs

Blu-ray Disc Writers, BD Combo and BD-ROM Drives

Postby dodecahedron on Sun Feb 16, 2003 12:36 am

glock20rocks wrote:They're not going to be playable in a DVD player...then they're not f***ing DVDs.

small prob with your criteria:
DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW are'nt DVDs either... :wink:
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
User avatar
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon
 
Posts: 6865
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2002 12:04 am
Location: Israel

Postby glock20rocks on Sun Feb 16, 2003 1:45 am

DVD -/+ R/RW will play in quite a few DVD players. Blu Ray won't in any.
glock20rocks
 

Re: Blu Ray discs

Postby Kennyshin on Sun Feb 16, 2003 8:55 am

glock20rocks wrote:All I can say is: About #$!@ time! Now hurry and get us the stupid drives!

I'll still need a 15-pack to back up my system...discs better be cheap.
And whatever happened to the holographic discs mentioned on this site awhile ago?


There are many companies and consortiums that develop holographic optical storage technologies.

Blu-ray is one of the many competing standards for storing "HD-DVD" video data. HD-DVD is to succeed DVD but not DVD really.

Blu-ray will be very expensive at first. Even 2.5-inch 5,400-RPM 40GB IBM HDDs will cost less at the time of first Blu-ray market introduction. Smaller as well and Blu-ray disks use cartridges.
Kennyshin
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1173
Joined: Tue May 14, 2002 12:56 am

Postby KuoH on Sun Feb 16, 2003 12:49 pm

Where's Tiffy? Where's Tiffy!?!? :o

KuoH
KuoH
CD-RW Thug
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2002 9:02 am

Postby HyperYagami on Sun Feb 16, 2003 1:15 pm

glock20rocks wrote:They're not going to be playable in a DVD player...then they're not f***ing DVDs.


Your argument is as flawed as saying Pentium 4 isn't really Pentium just because it doesn't fit into your ghetto 10 yrs old motherboard.
HyperYagami
CD-RW Thug
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 1:17 am

Postby cfitz on Sun Feb 16, 2003 1:32 pm

HyperYagami wrote:Your argument is as flawed as saying Pentium 4 isn't really Pentium just because it doesn't fit into your ghetto 10 yrs old motherboard.

And yet, a Pentium 4 quite clearly isn't a Pentium, it's a Pentium 4. It's in the same family as the original Pentium, yes, but in no way is it an original Pentium and, as you so eloquently point out, it is not at all compatible with hardware designed for the original Pentium.

I think that is the gist of glock20rocks argument: Blu Ray isn't compatible with existing DVD player hardware. So, to me, glock20rocks' argument doesn't seemed flawed at all. Instead, your interpretation of it seems flawed.

But, this is all just semantics anyway. Let's just agree that Blu Ray is a next-generation optical storage technology, and save final judgment for when it is actually released to the buying public.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon
 
Posts: 4572
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2002 10:44 am

Postby HyperYagami on Sun Feb 16, 2003 2:07 pm

cfitz wrote:I think that is the gist of glock20rocks argument: Blu Ray isn't compatible with existing DVD player hardware. So, to me, glock20rocks' argument doesn't seemed flawed at all. Instead, your interpretation of it seems flawed.


The really gist of that argument is, Blu-Ray doesn't compatible with the existing DVD players then it doesn't belong to this DVD msgboard. Blu-Ray IS part of the future DVD family and Pentium Pro - 4 ARE part of the Pentium family, and I don't really care about the technical side of it, since you say P4 isn't 100% same as P1, but it's not 100% different either. So do we need a diff msgboard for every revision/version of a CPU? A logical line has to be drawn somewhere.
HyperYagami
CD-RW Thug
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 1:17 am

Postby cfitz on Sun Feb 16, 2003 2:44 pm

HyperYagami wrote:The really gist of that argument is, Blu-Ray doesn't compatible with the existing DVD players then it doesn't belong to this DVD msgboard. <snip> So do we need a diff msgboard for every revision/version of a CPU? A logical line has to be drawn somewhere.

Oh, is that your main concern? Yes, I agree that the DVD forum is a perfectly acceptable place for having discussions about Blu Ray. Certainly it is at this point in the game, although maybe someday it will be big enough to warrant its own forum (we can hope :wink: ) And I don't think glock20rocks objects to discussing Blu Ray here either. He said that he wrestled with the question of where to post, considering both forums, but decided to play it safe by posting in the no-restrictions Beer Garden. I can't blame him for that. And no harm was done. It isn't a big deal, one way or the other. Certainly nothing worth getting excited about. 8)

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon
 
Posts: 4572
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2002 10:44 am

Postby HyperYagami on Sun Feb 16, 2003 3:13 pm

[quote="cfitz]decided to play it safe by posting in the no-restrictions Beer Garden[/quote]

is that where it was from? jeez I wonder wonder where all those beer girls comments came from :o
HyperYagami
CD-RW Thug
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 1:17 am

Postby cfitz on Sun Feb 16, 2003 3:32 pm

HyperYagami wrote:is that where it was from? jeez I wonder wonder where all those beer girls comments came from :o

Yeah, that's why this thread is a little looser than normal. It started life in the Beer Garden. :)

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon
 
Posts: 4572
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2002 10:44 am

Postby glock20rocks on Sun Feb 16, 2003 4:25 pm

A Pentium 4 is only a Pentium in name. It's a whole new core. The Pentium 3 was just a Pentium 2 with SIMD; the Pentium 2 was a Pentium Pro with MMX; the Pentium Pro was a large-cache server Pentium. If you think that's a mess of the naming, Intel's mobile chips are far more confusing. But no matter what's it's called, Blu-Ray isn't a dvd. DVD-/+R/RW's at least can play in just most players (well, at least +/-R...not so much +/-RW). I just dropped the $ on a DVD Burner (TDK IndiDVD), and will burn through the 50 pack of discs VERY quickly (I've got over 120GB's waiting to be burned, plus reorginizing my old CDs...yikes!). It'll take awhile. Blu-Ray would help, but I'd still burn through a crap load of 'em.
glock20rocks
 

Postby Phoenix '97 on Sun Feb 16, 2003 10:28 pm

Lose the cartridges! :( It's gonna be a DVD-RAM thing all over again.
I wouldn't mind an extra few GB dedicated (per disc) to error correction as long as the cartridges are lost.
Phoenix '97
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 213
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2002 4:11 am
Location: Winterpeg

Postby BuddhaTB on Sun Feb 16, 2003 11:00 pm

KuoH wrote:Where's Tiffy? Where's Tiffy!?!? :o

KuoH, if you missed or miss Tiffani, you can still check her out here for a limited time.
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic. ... 3376#53376

Enjoy! :D :D
User avatar
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1865
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2002 8:50 pm
Location: Southern California (LA & Orange County)

Postby KuoH on Mon Feb 17, 2003 1:01 am

Thanks. Actually, I did get to see her in all her glory earlier today after someone mentioned the Proxomitron issue. I thought it was a link that I missed out on at first. Now I'm going to have to find out where I can see that entire show/scene. :wink:

KuoH
KuoH
CD-RW Thug
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2002 9:02 am

Previous

Return to Blu-ray Disc Drives

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

All Content is Copyright (c) 2001-2018 CDRLabs Inc.