Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Boycott Creative

What was that?

Boycott Creative

Postby hoxlund on Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:24 am

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/story/7826/ theres the story

i for one completely agree with this, i cant stand creatives support for their cards, there last update was what like a year ago? actually for my audigy 2 zs platinum it was last updated for xp back in oct 2006, almost a year and a half ago

and in my honest opinion the audigy 2 zs series is WWAAYY!! better then any of the crappy x-fi series cards especially with vista support

my same card for vista? still over a year ago, march 16th 07

if you feel like boycotting creative - http://boycottcreative.com/BoycottCreative.html
Thermaltake Core X5 Snow Edition TG Case
Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
AMD Threadripper 1950x @ 4.1GHz
Custom Loop w/ EK MSI x399 Monoblock
G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 3200 RGB Memory
MSI 1080Ti Lightning X Video Card
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby MediumRare on Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:06 am

I read about this at heise. Reminds me a bit of alexnoe's pxscan (or KProbe for that matter). They sure shot themselves in the foot. I hope that this doesn't blow over for a while.

I've never owned a Creative sound card and with this attitude, I definitely won't in the future either.

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby Ian on Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:26 am

Creative's days are limited. While they used to make some of the best consumer sound cards around, ASUS has entered the market and is offering better cards for a lot less. In some cases, they even support Creative's EAX technologies.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby deinabog on Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:32 pm

I currently own two X-Fi XtremeGamer cards and have had no problems running them under Vista Ultimate (32-bit). For awhile the full software suite was not available for Vista as it was for XP but that's not the case anymore.

I've been perusing various forums and I gotta say things have gotten a bit out of hand. While Creative certainly deserves some lumps for gimping older products to force owners to buy X-Fi cards they're not the first company to do this. How many times have Microsoft, nVida, ATI, or any company deliberately crippled an older product hoping to force customers to buy their "latest and greatest"? Hell all companies do it; Creative just came out and admitted it. I'm also inclined to believe that half the problems some these people encountered was due as much to their own incompetence as to bad drivers. Nowadays anyone who can wield a philips head screwdriver is a tech god of unlimited might and magic it seems.

Since I (and many other I suspect) enjoy the fidelity of a discrete audio card I hope Creative survives and thrives again. While I respect ASUS's Xonar cards the company has a nasty habit of making various products that ultimately wind up unsupported in the long run. Not to mention the price of some of their cards is up there ($200 for the PCI-Express version and $180 for the PCI version at Newegg). Rather jeer with the rest of the crowd I'll wait and see what happens with Creative. I hope they can get it together.
A man must have a code -Bunk
deinabog
Buffer Underrun

Postby hoxlund on Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:59 pm

im not saying the cards don't work in vista, creative just doesn't enable all features

they took out DTS and/or dolby decoding in vista, or better phrased haven't added it via software yet
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby deinabog on Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:18 pm

hoxlund wrote:im not saying the cards don't work in vista, creative just doesn't enable all features

they took out DTS and/or dolby decoding in vista, or better phrased haven't added it via software yet

True that. Creative certainly disabled some features and I'd like to know why. I read that their prepping the X-Fi 2 which presumably will support these features and maybe PCI Express too.

Hopefully these missing features will be restored in a future driver.
deinabog
Buffer Underrun

Postby hoxlund on Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:53 pm

creative already has there xfi pci-ex

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6829102017
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby deinabog on Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:57 pm

hoxlund wrote:creative already has there xfi pci-ex

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6829102017

Maybe this batch will bear true X-Fi DSPs since the Xtreme Audio doesn't. In any case this will hopefully reignite some competition, and interest, in the discrete audio card market. I think everyone would benefit from that.
deinabog
Buffer Underrun

Return to Rants n' Raves