Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Burning an open session?

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Burning an open session?

Postby Pilgrim on Sun Dec 14, 2003 9:16 pm

Using either Nero Burning ROM and/or Nero Express, how do you burn an "open session" CD? I'm only guessing I have the technical term right, so put another way, how do you burn files to a disk so that after the "project" is complete and the disk is ejected, you can reinsert the same disk at another time and add on to what was burned before?

TIA,

Jeff
Pilgrim
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:38 pm

Start a multi-session disc.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Pilgrim on Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:06 pm

cfitz wrote:Start a multi-session disc.

cfitz

Perhaps the problem I'm having is because I'm using an UNformatted CD-RW to play around with? But I can't get this to work. Here's my process:

- Open Nero Express and click on "Data/Data Disc"
- Add files/folders and click "Finish"
- Insert CD-RW into the Drive, check the option for "Multi-session"
- Burn the disc.

Upon completion, the CD is ejected and the burn was successful. I close the tray and click on "Data/Data Disc" once more, going through the same process as before. But then I get an error message that says that the disc isn't empty and that if I continue with the project, the data that is already on the disc won't be able to be read by Windows Explorer. . . blah, blah....

Okay..... splain it to me in a little more detail if you would please and/or what I'm doing wrong? Image

Jeff
Pilgrim
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:41 am

The second time around click "continue multi-sesion disc".

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Pilgrim on Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:59 am

cfitz,

Thanks! After not being able to find anything in Nero Express, I ventured on into the main program and searched through all the menus, etc.. Finally, after clicking on "New" the dialog opened where I found the "Continue multi-session disc". More trial and error ensued and I finally figured out how to do this, evidently basic task.

Jeff
Pilgrim
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:33 am

You're welcome. I don't normally use Nero Express, but if I recall correctly it defaults to creating multi-session discs. Therefore, I would expect it to do what you want more or less transparently. Unfortunately my system is currently in pieces, so I can't check to see exactly what is going on with Express.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Pilgrim on Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:46 am

cfitz,

I do appreciate your irenic demeanor as always. Image

I went back and played around with Nero Express some more and found out that you can press the "Burn same project again" if you leave the GUI open and re-insert the disc. OR, you are correct, that you can also close everything down and go back and click, "Data/Data disc" and simply add more files. Now why this didn't work before I can't say. But it works just fine in Nero Express now as well as the main Burning ROM. Image

Hope you get all the pieces put back together again!Image

Jeff
Pilgrim
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:46 pm

I'm glad it's all working satisfactorily now. I did get my system back together, and it worked as you now report and as I thought it was supposed to: multi-session by default, and add new files to the existing session by default when you put the disc back in the drive and start up Express again.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)