Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Buy.com

What was that?

Buy.com

Postby smartin4 on Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:16 pm

This company is a freakin' joke. I ordered an Epson R300 from them on 7/20. I know that they have an average consumer rating at best, but the item would have cost me $100 after 2 rebates, so I figured WTF, maybe just this once. Boy do I regret it now!!

This order was processed and was in a status called "Sent to Warehouse" on 7/21, I'm thinking not too bad. The description for "Sent to Warehouse" says that the item is normally shipped within 1-2 business days. On the item page, it says that the item is in stock and normall ships 1-2 business days. I figure they've got until 7/26 to ship my order, giving them an extra day or two, depending on whther you count the day the order was "Sent to Warehouse".

Tuesday comes & goes, I send an email asking about the status, and the "canned" response was "We will ship your order as soon as we have processed it". Bastards, the item was processed already and is supposedly sitting in your freakin' warehouse waiting to be shipped.

Wednesday comes & goes. I go and look at my order again, still in Sent to Warehouse status. I click on my order number, and now the status there says "On Order"!! "On Order" status says in a nutshell, that they are awating the item and have not recevied an expected arrival date from their supplier.

Now I'm thinking WiTMFH is going on here? I shoot off an email inquiring about this. I got nothing more than a "canned" generic repsonse that basically said "Thanks for your order we are going to ship it as soon as we are done processing it". They couldn't answer the question aobut the On Order status, or why that was the case even though the item page still says In Stock ships in 1-2 business days.

Since I got nowhere with this message, I sent another one telling them that I wanted the order cancelled and that I would never do business with them again. I got another repsonse that said the same thing as the last one. No mention about the status change or nothing about cancelling my order.

I logged in and attempted to cancel the order myself, and got a message that said "Your request to cancel your order has been received. Please note that your order may actually ship even though you tried to cancel it."

AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing is customer friendly with this Sh@t-ass company!!!

I made sure to emphasize my point (3x to be exact) in my last email to them that I will never ever buy anything from their company even if they were the last etailer left in the universe. If the damn package ships before the cancel request goes through, you can bet that delivery will be refused too.

Buy.bomb----> :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

PS-Sorry for all the emoticons, I am just livid about this whole situation. THe least that a company that size can do is employ a few people to send out "personalized" responses that actually address a consumers needs or questions.

:evil: :evil:
smartin4
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:06 pm

I've dealt with Buy.com before, and I've always thought their pretty good. They are nothing like Amazon, but they have always shipped for me in the time frame mentioned on their website, and the price was right. I'd always do Amazon if it were a similar price, but I wouldn't hesitate to use Buy.com if they had a much better price.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby aviationwiz on Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:17 pm

Actually, I just bought ink from them again because I had a 10% off coupon to use there. Saved ~$3.50 over Amazon, and I'm not in a hurry, so the lack of 2nd Day Air won't be an issue.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

...long relationship with Buy.com

Postby rhc564 on Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:56 am

I've been doing business with Buy.com for about 2 years and have had
both 'great' experiences and 'nightmare' ones. Trying to contact them
is a joke as a previous poster stated. At one time, I used them all the
time but-after a couple bad experiences-only use them now when the
price is 'unbelievable.' In the past, they have offered some prices that
were 'off the charts,' with no one even being close but that practice has
waned recently. Recently, however, I did buy an Acer LCD from them
that was almost $20 less than NewEgg--$236 vs $255--and had free
5/7 day shipping. Lo and behold, however, I ordered the monitor on
Monday anf got it 2 days later on Wednesday. Bottom line, I still check
out their prices but only use them when that price is 'under the charts.'
rhc564
Buffer Underrun

Postby smartin4 on Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:01 pm

Update:

Just got off the phone with Buy.com, their phone support is as scripted as their email support, and the guy on the other end of the line barely spoke English to boot. He said that the “cancellation request” should be finalized within the next 3-4 business days, then 30 seconds later, he tells me that it has been escalated to the cancellation team and that I should expect to hear get confirmation on this within the next 2-3 business days. BTW, I requested the damn cancellation on 7/29. What a load of sh@t!!!!!!

If I don’t see an email on this by noon tomorrow (which would be 12 business days from the day I requested the cancellation), I guess I will call back and demand talk to a supervisor. I would have done it today, but I was so worked up by this point, I was on the verge of a expletive-laden rant, so I hung up the phone.

This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever dealt with.
smartin4
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:58 pm

smartin,

I just had a 4 or 5 phone call ordeal with their phone support in Bangalore that spanned as many weeks.

Demanding to speak to a supervisor was no good. All it got me was the seventh reading of the 5th answer on the script. Those deviates will not deviate from the script. On my last call, I asked seven different questions and got the same script answer seven times.

So I then said that if they couldn't give me a real answer and were going to read me the script again that I would call Master Card and contest the charge. Then I bid them good bye at 8:30 AM. When I got home that night I found that their "escalation team" had resolved the issue in my favor and would issue a refund to Master Card.

Time stamped: 1:20 PM. Coincidence, or what?

But as the others have said, I've placed many orders with them and never had a prior problem.

But when you do have a problem with them, hang on to your hat!

I too, from now on, will only buy from buy when their deal is way under.

Oh, one more thing: On the next deal I'm going to grab their $30 off if I sign up for their credit card, so I'll have to get something $30 or more, with free shipping of course.

Then throw the card away the day it comes in the mail.

Slim
Who is going to the window right now. Who is going to throw it open, stick his head out and scream: "I'M MAD AS HELL AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE!"
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:01 am

CowboySlim wrote:Then throw the card away the day it comes in the mail.

That won't do you any good if you don't call the credit card company and close the account!
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby CowboySlim on Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:49 am

I don't bother with those trivial details.
I don't even fool with a shredder.
That which I don't want,
all old credit cards and financial papers,
out in the trash for the landfill.

No worries!

Just like this morning.
Gardners will be here soon to mow the backyard.
Got a plastic bag and walked around -
picked up after the dogs.
Old credit cards: In the bag.
Documents with name, address,
date of birth, social security number,
bank account numbers, credit card numbers,
driver's license number: IN THE BAG!

If they want it that badly,
I'm identity thefted! [-X

No worries WIZ! But I appreciate your concern.

Slim
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby smartin4 on Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:35 pm

Update (I've been too busy to post this):

They finally cancelled my order 2 days after I called them (13 business days from the time I requested the cancellation).

It took them about 12 emails before they actually gave me a cs service # to call, which was the call I made in my previous post.

I will never ever ever buy from these shmucks again. This is the absolute worst online buying experience I have ever had.

All of their emails are in a rule to auto delete. I will never visit their site again either.

Buy.com sucks :evil: :evil: :evil:
smartin4
CD-RW Player

Return to Rants n' Raves