Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Can I assign bandwidth to the programs independently?

Anything else

Can I assign bandwidth to the programs independently?

Postby pranav81 on Wed Apr 23, 2003 8:13 am

Dear All,
hi.Can I assign a certain limit to bandwidth used by programs like DAP Premium?What is happening is the program eats all the available bandwidth and then I get very little speed for browsing.I tried setting the connection type to 14.4 KBPS with no use.The downloads are indeed fast but I also want to browse.
Waiting for some replies,
Thanks a lot in advance...

Pranav.
pranav81
CD-RW Player

Postby Inertia on Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:42 pm

After reviewing the options in the help section of their website, it doesn't appear that you can adjust the download speed of Download Accelerator Plus. If so, this is a serious fault, especially for those with limited bandwidth.

I use Mass Downloader and am very satisfied with its performance. It's a full featured download utility with all of the options you could expect including download speed control. It has four different speed settings which can be manually set to the desired download bandwidth. It's a good program for $19.95 U.S., and doesn't load any spyware like some other download programs (i.e., DAP).

MetaProducts also has Download Express, which is a free download manager. It does most of the essential things, such as resume downloads and manually control download speed. It's fast and allows multi-thread downloads (no spyware). I use it for my default download manager (it automatically replaces the Windows downloader) unless I want to queue multiple files, in which case I use Mass Downloader.

FlashGet and GetRight also allow manual adjustment of download speeds.
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Bam!There goes my money.

Postby pranav81 on Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:54 pm

Dear Inertia,
I like the peformance of DAP Premium.I had purchased the product after testing the version with ad's.The problem is that whenever I browse keeping any download on,there goes all my browsing speed.I mailed the tech support at Speedbit and they said to change the connection settings.There is a LITTLE difference though,DAP makes 4 connections instead of 10,still it uses up majority of bandwidth and browsing becomes awfully slow.
Anyways,thanks a lot for the reply,
See ya later,

::Pranav::
pranav81
CD-RW Player

Return to General Software Questions