Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Can't get the Search engine to work.

Burn baby burn!

Can't get the Search engine to work.

Postby HeartBurn on Tue Nov 19, 2002 1:00 pm

Is there a trick to turning on the CDRLabs Search function? No matter what I enter all I get is "No topics or posts met your search criteria." I'm trying to locate the software that allows me to backup the firmware of a new burner before I try to update it. Thanks
R/C Airplanes Forever !
HeartBurn
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Tue Nov 19, 2002 1:02 pm

You're right. I'll let Socheat know.

btw.. that util is MTKFlash. it only works with drives that have a Mediatek chipset though.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby cfitz on Tue Nov 19, 2002 1:17 pm

This is a multi-part problem.

1. When the upgrade to 2.0.3 was performed, the index to pre-update posts was lost and not regenerated, so straight searches will not return any hits for pre-update posts. A work around is to append the * wild-card character to each term you wish to find. This apparently forces the search engine to skip the index and search the text directly - slower and less efficient, but it will find older posts.

2. Posts made after the upgrade have been indexed, so non-wildcard searches for 'any terms' will return hits on the newer posts.

3. Searches for 'all terms' rarely return any hits under any circumstances - I think the list of non-indexed terms may be too broad. For example, a search for 'regenerated' AND 'circumstances' will return this post, but not a search for 'return' AND 'circumstances'.

cfitz

<edit - update 'all terms' search info>
Last edited by cfitz on Tue Nov 19, 2002 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby cfitz on Tue Nov 19, 2002 1:20 pm

By the way, Heartburn, you can find mtkflash (and a utility to make a DOS boot disk so you can run mtkflash) here:

http://mand.tmfweb.nl/binaries.htm

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby HeartBurn on Tue Nov 19, 2002 1:36 pm

Thanks guys for the comeback. I'll be helping a friend install his new TDK model 4800B and from what I have read here on the forum is that I should back up the firmware first. Now I have to find out if it able to be backed up. Mediatek chipset installed? We'll have to find out. :lol: Thanks again.

Heartburn
R/C Airplanes Forever !
HeartBurn
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Tue Nov 19, 2002 1:51 pm

According to Ian's review ( http://www.cdrlabs.com/reviews/index.ph ... e=Features ), the 4800B is based on a LiteOn drive, so it uses the MediaTek chipset, and you should be able to back it up.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby HeartBurn on Tue Nov 19, 2002 1:55 pm

Many thanks cfitz, looks like Im off and running. Appreciate the help.
R/C Airplanes Forever !
HeartBurn
Buffer Underrun

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives