Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Can overburn trash my cd-r?

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Can overburn trash my cd-r?

Postby marxeil on Wed Feb 19, 2003 11:47 am

:-?
First of all thanks to all here. After reading some i manged to burn 730mb, and 760mb files with no problems.
Now i tried to burn a 860mb file on a 900mb cd.
Nero gave me a long warning about something (I could'nt read it because it was obscured by the buttons, and out of the popup window), so i stopped.
Am i risking trashing my cd-r by overburning a file of this size?
marxeil
Buffer Underrun

Postby glock20rocks on Wed Feb 19, 2003 2:07 pm

Arent 99minute CD-Rs=800MG, not 900? That could be the problem...
glock20rocks

Postby cfitz on Wed Feb 19, 2003 2:21 pm

glock20rocks:

A 99-minute CD should be about 865-870 MBytes, if the math holds up (I've never actually used a 99-minute CD). But I suppose since the discs are out of specification anyway, the math might not hold up. You probably have to measure the capacity empirically.

marxeil:

You couldn't read any part of the message? A warning message is normal when overburning, and doesn't necessarily mean there is a real problem. That's why it is just a warning.

I take it this behavior is different than what you saw while overburning 74-minute/650 MByte or 80-minute/700 MByte discs. True? You do have to "overburn" 99-minute discs, because they are larger than the standard size.

What burner are you using? Some manufacturers have warned against overburning, but since I've been reading these forums I only recall one post where someone actually claimed damage to their drive caused by a failed overburn attempt. Usually if it doesn't work it simply doesn't work - no harm done. If you tell us what burner you are using, someone with experience with that burner may be able to tell you how far it can be pushed with overburning.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby marxeil on Thu Feb 20, 2003 12:48 pm

Hmm, i'm not sure if the message was different for smaller files...

Anyway i'm using LG GCE-8320B.

Oh and the file is actually 880mb.
marxeil
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:42 pm

I believe your GCE-8320B can overburn to 99 minutes 59 seconds - the 870 MBytes to which I referred earlier. That would be enough to fit the 860 MByte file you originally said you were trying to burn, but not the 880 MByte file you now say you are trying to burn.

From where did you get the 900 MByte capacity figure you quoting for the CD-Rs you are using? What brand are they, and where did you buy them? I assume you are burning a data file, since you call it a file, and not an audio CD. Is this true?

marxeil wrote:Hmm, i'm not sure if the message was different for smaller files...

Then check and see. We can't do psychic debugging. :(

marxeil wrote:Oh and the file is actually 880mb.

Please try to give accurate information. Again, we can't do psychic debugging.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby marxeil on Fri Feb 21, 2003 11:58 am

Sorry for the ambiguity before.
Windows reported the file as 860mb, Nero thinks it's 880mb.

About the message. It was the regular overburn message with the edition of: "Burning more then 95 minutes may result in unreadable data on some drives."

The note about SCSI/Atapi errors is pushed to the bottum of the popup window and can't be read, but I assume it's the same paragraph which appears at the end of the regular warning message.

Anyway, I went ahead and burned the file. It was a single 860mb/880mb file (Depends on who you consider more trustworthy - Windows or Nero).
The burning process was successful. I checked the cd on my regular cd drive without encountering any problems.

Thanks for the help everybody.

P.S.
I am using a cd called "Maxdisc".
It also says 100min - 900MB.
marxeil
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Fri Feb 21, 2003 12:13 pm

marxeil wrote:About the message. It was the regular overburn message with the edition of: "Burning more then 95 minutes may result in unreadable data on some drives."

I thought it was probably the same, and was going to suggest you just give the burn a try if it was. I see you have already done so. Good deal.

marxeil wrote:It was a single 860mb/880mb file (Depends on who you consider more trustworthy - Windows or Nero).

That would be the old debate over whether 1K = 1000 or 1024.

marxeil wrote:I am using a cd called "Maxdisc".
It also says 100min - 900MB.

Where did you get them? If they perform well for you, others might be interested in them as well.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby marxeil on Fri Feb 21, 2003 2:55 pm

I got them in a local store in Israel where I live, so that doesn't help most of you.

This is their site: http://www.maxdisc.de, but i couldn't find any information about where else to get them, sorry :-?
marxeil
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Fri Feb 21, 2003 3:12 pm

marxeil wrote:I got them in a local store in Israel where I live, so that doesn't help most of you.

Well, at least it helps dodecahedron. And there are few other readers from Israel as well. So, no need to be sorry. Thanks for your contribution.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby dodecahedron on Fri Feb 21, 2003 8:58 pm

marxeil wrote:I got them in a local store in Israel where I live, so that doesn't help most of you.

This is their site: http://www.maxdisc.de, but i couldn't find any information about where else to get them, sorry :-?

yeah, i want to know!
what store did you get them?
how much did they cost you?
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby marxeil on Sat Feb 22, 2003 12:28 pm

You can get them at Plonter.
I couldn't find them on the site: http://www.plonter.co.il.
I got them at their store while I was there:
Bezalel st. 7 (Mitcham habursa)
Ramat Gan.

They cost 50 sheqels for a 10 cd pack.
marxeil
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Sat Feb 22, 2003 3:41 pm

thanks, man! :D
strange they have them in-store but not on the site. :o
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)