Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Compatibility of drives and what to buy

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Compatibility of drives and what to buy

Postby ellick on Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:30 pm

Trying to include as much info as I can so bear with me. :) I got a Sony DRU-710A for Christmas. I've backed up quite a few dvd's successfully using cheap Teon disks from Staples. Also some Memorex disks. So far no problems even though this drive doesn't seem to be regarded very highly in these forums since it's a Lite_on clone. Movies play back fine on 3 different stand alone players. A Daewoo, Apex and Samsung.

My brother wanted to get a drive and bought the IDVD16DD I/O magic from Staples for only $40 after the rebate. Seemed like a good deal but we tried burning about 4 disks with it and every single one of them would freeze somewhere during playback on the stand alone machines. The Apex would pause and eventually continue on but the Daewood would freeze up completely. (We were backing up tv show collections). What was even worse, nothing burned on the I/O magic would play back at all on my Sony drive. The Sony would light up trying to read the disks and basically lock up the pc with "not responding" errors. It seemed the only thing that could read the disks back very well was the I/O drive itself. I even took my Sony out, put the I/O magic in my pc and ripped one of the disks that wouldn't play back to my hard drive. Then put my Sony back in, reburned the same files and now the disk plays fine on the stand alone players. He ended up returning the I/O Magic to Staples.

Anyway, this brought me to the forum looking for some help. He still wants to get a drive but the Sony is pretty expensive and recommendations in here are quite different. I was thinking of picking up the NEC 3520A for him but the above weirdness has me wondering. Another forum said the I/O magic was a clone of the Benq which also seems to rate really high on this forum. I don't want something that will end up with the same problem.

So, does anyone have some advice or even tips as to why that I/O magic didnt seem very compatible? Could the lack of compatiblity have been something as simple as it not liking the blank media I was using? The fact my Sony couldnt read disks created on the I/O magic at all has me a little concerned.
ellick
Buffer Underrun

Postby Scour on Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:45 pm

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=19198

Seems to be that the I/O is a BTC 1016. Not a very good writer, in my opinion. The 1108 was one of the crappiest dvd-burner ever seen.

Maybe you go for a LG, Pioneer or NEC. If you want to burn more DVD+R you can go for a Benq
Benq DW 1640 and 1650 , Plextor PX-755, Pioneer BDR-208 and 209D, LG GH24NSC0, LG BH16NS40 and 16NS55, Liteon ihas 124F and 324F, Pioneer DVR-215 and S21, Samsung SH-224DB and 224GB, and some more

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player

Postby ellick on Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:22 pm

The NEC 3520A is the drive I was thinking about ordering for him. I was just wondering about the compatibility issues as I don't have much experience with DVD burners at all.

That was interesting about the I/O magic not being a BenQ clone but a BTC. Still can't figure out tho why my Sony drive wouldn't even read disks created on it. It tried with both the drive light and my hard drive running continuousl. It would never load the disk. I couldn't even call up a file Explorer window and have it propagate the drives while a disk burned on the I/O magic was in the Sony drive. It just locked up with "not responding" errors.
ellick
Buffer Underrun

Postby harley2ride on Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:53 am

It all depends on what you want to do. If you want a good burner, plus the ability to copy copy protected games, you need to go with the newer LG 4163, Pioneer a07 - a09, or plextor drives. If you are just concerned with burning good dvd's, go with NEC, Benq, LG, Lite-on. All will do the job with the proper firmwares...
harley2ride
Buffer Underrun

Return to DVD Writers