Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Delkin Archival Gold DVD-R with Scratch Armour

General discussion about recordable CD, DVD and BD media and write quality testing.

Delkin Archival Gold DVD-R with Scratch Armour

Postby protog on Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:38 am

Hello all

I am new on here so I hope I have posted in the correct manor!

I wonder if anyone can help me. The above media which I purchased 100 off seems to have small dots in the dye?

http://www.burgessalbums.co.uk/z1/delkinproblem.jpg

Has anyone seen this before and is it a problem? I am a professional photographer and use the DVD's for backups.

Thanks

Andy
protog
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:10 am

I've seen that before. Usually its due to dust or some other junk being on the disc when you burn it.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby protog on Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:28 am

Ineresting idea, but that photo was from a disk which had no visible dust on when I put it into the Burner. Maybe the dust inside the burner gets onto the disks when the drive spins up.

The only other thing to add is that some disks have those dots where the laser didn't burn, i.e. towards the outer edge on a half full (or empty) DVD.

Thanks

Andy
protog
Buffer Underrun

Postby Justin42 on Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:55 pm

If there wasn't any dust in the exact shape of the dots you're seeing, the discs are more than likely defective and you should return them immediately. (Strangest thing I saw was somehow a hair got on-- and stayed on-- a blank CDR years ago and burned a lovely shadow onto the disc. ;) )

I doubt your drive is kicking up dust, unless it is REALLY dusty. It's probably a defective dye layer. What is the Media ID of these discs? (if you use a program like CD Speed or something it should show you)

Definitely not something I would use for any sort of professional use (or even personal, really!). Dump them and buy some Taiyo Yuden for professional use.
Justin42
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:17 pm

I would recommend Taiyo Yuden for regular level important stuff... but for Photos and high level important stuff, that you really want to archive, then you should go for Maxell BQ 8x DVD-Rs. Nothing in North America touches them in terms of stability and manufacturing quality. They may not be gold media, but trust me, they perform in the same ballpark as you would expect from a gold disc!
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Return to Recordable Media Discussion