Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Drive works, but not in windows

Burn baby burn!

Drive works, but not in windows

Postby bankcello on Sun Dec 08, 2002 10:53 am

My CD-R/RW (8x4x32) (I don't know the brand) was working just fine. Then it stopped working in windows. If I try to access it I get a blue screen of death. However, if I boot up in DOS I can read from it.

I am using Win98, second edition. Reinstalling Windows didn't work. Someone suggested formatting the hard disc and starting all over. If I do that I lose much to much stuff.

Any suggestions?
Jerry M. Bank
Trenton, NJ
bankcello
Buffer Underrun

Postby Robotnik on Sun Dec 08, 2002 4:22 pm

Try re-installing Windows in a completely new directory. This is usually almost as good as formatting the whole drive.
Memorex 52Maxx 52/24/52
MSI CR40-A 40x 12x 40x
Ricoh MP5125A DVD+RW/+R 2.4/2.4/8 DVDRW, 12/10/32 CDRW
Optorite DD0203
Robotnik
CD-RW Thug

Postby Action Jackson on Mon Dec 09, 2002 8:17 pm

Maybe before trying something so drastic as reformatting a harddrive, take out the burner and hook it up to another computer to see if it works?
Action Jackson
CD-RW Player

First find out what you have

Postby StoreAged on Wed Dec 11, 2002 10:53 am

If you have some mechanical aptitude, then simply open the case and use a flashlight to read the label on the cd-rom drive (usually on the top). You may have to remove its mounting screws so you can slide it a little until you can see the label. You're looking for the make and model number. Once that's done go to the manufacturer's web page and download the setup literature. Also download any software that they might supply for installing the drive.

BEFORE PROCEEDING MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A GOOD WORKING COPY OF THE WINDOWS STARTUP FLOPPY. Keep in mind that you can't get any files from a cd-rom if you don't have a drive installed. So have another computer standing by if possible just in case you need it.

Next go into your control panel and open up the system icon. Open device manager and remove the cd-rom from your system. Then reboot. Your system should see the drive upon bootup, and automatically install the necessary driver. If not then you should reinstall Windows over top of the existing installation using the startup disk selecting cd-rom support.

Any questions?

Good Luck
StoreAged
Buffer Underrun

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives