Home News Reviews Forums Shop


DVD-R from Japan

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

DVD-R from Japan

Postby arsenal34 on Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:22 pm

Are there still any big name manufacturers (i.e. Sony Verbatim, Memorex, etc...) that still make their DVD-R's in Japan? I'm leery of the stuff made in Taiwan. Can anyone recommend any name brand -R's from Taiwan?
arsenal34
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:11 pm

List

Postby shaun on Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:11 pm

Verbatim
Maxell
Fuji
TY

all make good quality -R media
"Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy"
User avatar
shaun
CD-RW PiMP
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:45 pm

Re: List

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:21 pm

shaun wrote:Verbatim
Maxell
Fuji
TY

all make good quality -R media


Well, he asked for Japanese media, not quality media :wink:

So I would answer:

Some Maxell (check the packaging)
Some Fuji (check the packaging)
Taiyo Yuden (all legit Taiyo Yuden media is Japanese)
Some Radius (check the packaging) (not better then Taiwanese quality!).

Verbatim is never Japanese in North America anymore... or probably anywhere in the world except possibly Japan :o
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
User avatar
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 6923
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:14 pm
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada

Postby Scour on Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:24 pm

Hello!

Fuji makes own DVDs? I thought they buy from other companies liek TY, Prodisc?
Benq DW 1640, LG GH-20N, Pioneer BDR-208
Crucial M4, Sandisk SSD, Plextor M5S, Sandisk Ultra Plus, OCZ Petrol 256GB

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1909
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2001 8:00 pm
Location: Germany

Postby overclockxp on Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:32 pm

Scour wrote:Hello!

Fuji makes own DVDs? I thought they buy from other companies liek TY, Prodisc?


You are correct.

Fuji discs that are MIJ are TYs.
Here is an exhaustive list of Fuji and the OEMs.
Overclock
overclockxp
CD-RW Thug
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:43 am

Postby RJW on Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:51 pm

No Rex is correct FUJI makes very few disc's themselves in japan and germany. Mostly these are made for R&D samples. However if to much samples are still over they will be put on the market.

Made In japan.
SONY -> SONY does make disc's in japan. Specially the new 16x media however it's not ruled out it's a special OEM by TY. We will probally never know.
TDK -> most 16x media is TDK's own and made in japan. other stuff is made by CMC or MAM.

not big name but made in japan.
intermedia/unitech - Unifinio branded.

Radius ? hmm what's the code. Ohwell it's to late to dig up might to it tomorrow.
RJW
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1379
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2001 8:00 pm
Location: The netherlands

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:57 pm

RJW wrote:No Rex is correct FUJI makes very few disc's themselves in japan and germany. Mostly these are made for R&D samples. However if to much samples are still over they will be put on the market.

Made In japan.
SONY -> SONY does make disc's in japan. Specially the new 16x media however it's not ruled out it's a special OEM by TY. We will probally never know.
TDK -> most 16x media is TDK's own and made in japan. other stuff is made by CMC or MAM.

not big name but made in japan.
intermedia/unitech - Unifinio branded.

Radius ? hmm what's the code. Ohwell it's to late to dig up might to it tomorrow.


I've never seen Japanese TDK in North America yet...

as for Radius, they claim to be a Japanese brand (see here: http://www.radius.co.jp/), but the only code I've seen from people is Optodisc. Still, I've seen Made in Japan written on their packaging, I've just never been able to purchase any of the media with that marking.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
User avatar
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 6923
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:14 pm
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada

Postby Wesociety on Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:12 pm

RJW wrote:SONY -> SONY does make disc's in japan. Specially the new 16x media however it's not ruled out it's a special OEM by TY. We will probally never know.

Your friends at SONY won't divulge that information?

There is also the JVC 6x DVD-RW media, made in Japan.
Haven't seen it at all in the USA though...
User avatar
Wesociety
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1234
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:33 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Postby RJW on Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:32 pm

Wesociety wrote:
RJW wrote:SONY -> SONY does make disc's in japan. Specially the new 16x media however it's not ruled out it's a special OEM by TY. We will probally never know.

Your friends at SONY won't divulge that information?

There is also the JVC 6x DVD-RW media, made in Japan.
Haven't seen it at all in the USA though...


Well the official answer leaves room open. So when I asked specifically I got allmost the same answer which left again the room open. So Sony doesn't seem to want to talk about that one. And TY,well getting answers from TY seems to be mission impossible.
RJW
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1379
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2001 8:00 pm
Location: The netherlands


Return to DVD Writers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

All Content is Copyright (c) 2001-2017 CDRLabs Inc.