Home News Reviews Forums Shop


DVD-R that's better than RITEK?

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

DVD-R that's better than RITEK?

Postby candy99 on Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:07 am

I've heard that a certain type of DVD-R is superior to all DVD-R RITEKS, as it is using pure AZO dye.
http://www.cdrepublic.com/customer/prod ... =62&page=1

The home section of the website claims failure rates of less than 1 in 10,000!! :o :o Does anyone have any other information about these Epublic branded DVD-R & are they really the same quality as Verbatim and TDK?

Thnx.
candy99
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:38 am

Postby alexnoe on Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:38 am

I've heard that a certain type of DVD-R is superior to all DVD-R RITEKS
I have got at least 5 disc types here that are superior to all Riteks...
alexnoe
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 405
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:31 am

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:05 am

I don't know why people get so impressed over discs that are better then Ritek's :o

Ritek isn't THAT great... they really only had one good disc type, and it's on its' way out now. Everything else is average or less.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
User avatar
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 6923
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:14 pm
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada

Postby alexnoe on Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:07 am

Image
Image


That's certainly one of those which are better than Ritek :)
Last edited by alexnoe on Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
alexnoe
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 405
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:31 am

Postby Ian on Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:33 am

alexnoe wrote:
That's certainly one of those which are better than Ritek :)


Yeah, true Maxell discs are next to impossible to find here in the US. I think Apple sells them, but they're uber expensive.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
User avatar
Ian
Grand Poobah
 
Posts: 14882
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2001 2:34 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Postby alexnoe on Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:35 am

I bought them as "Maxell" ( :p ), and they are about 1,10€ per piece. That's definitely not überexpensive. For comparision, a Verbatim 8x +/-R is 0,90€ here, a Taiyo Yuden 8x +/- R about 2 Euro. Just running more tests... The Benq 1620 totally screws those discs up. Scans would be coming if the Plextor PX712 were able to read the result :o ... if i'm lucky this disc will help me to finally find how to to retrieve POF information :)
alexnoe
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 405
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:31 am

Postby VEFF on Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:44 am

Interesting FIRST post............................... hmmmmm.....
Burners only:
Pioneer DVR-115D
Pioneer DVR-111D
Plextor PX-716A TLA0304
Plextor PX-716A same TLA

LiteOn 52246S 52X CD-RW
LiteOn 52246S (another)
LiteOn 52327S 52X CD-RW
TDK 40X USB 2.0 CD-RW
TEAC CD-W540E 40X CD-RW
User avatar
VEFF
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 2025
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2002 9:36 pm

Postby alexnoe on Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:04 pm

What exactly is interesting about it? As I said, I'm having a lot of discs here that are way better than any ritek...
alexnoe
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 405
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:31 am

Postby candy99 on Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:23 pm

VEFF wrote:Interesting FIRST post............................... hmmmmm.....


I only asked for opinion on this cheap media, nothing else. Maybe i should not post in future. :-k
candy99
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:38 am

Postby alexnoe on Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:24 pm

I only asked for opinion on this cheap media, nothing else. Maybe i should not post in future.
And....? What's wrong with the answers?
alexnoe
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 405
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:31 am

Postby Ian on Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:28 pm

VEFF was probably thinking the guy was a spammer. I don't think he is. Most of them do lame posts like:

Look at this cheap media I found! It good!

www.iliketospam.com/mydiscsarecheapjunk.html
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
User avatar
Ian
Grand Poobah
 
Posts: 14882
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2001 2:34 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Postby candy99 on Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:28 pm

alexnoe wrote:And....? What's wrong with the answers?


Well, you explained that Maxell's are superior to any RITEK, however I did ask the following and have not read any reply relating to it:

The home section of the website claims failure rates of less than 1 in 10,000!! Does anyone have any other information about these Epublic branded DVD-R & are they really the same quality as Verbatim and TDK?


The reason I ask this is because the above is quite a bold statement, especially when you consider the price of this media. ;) From my experience I consider Verbatim and TDK to be very good quality media, so if this media is 'as good' as them (is it though?) then I'm very interested in it.

Not spamming, just want information on this media.

Thanks.
candy99
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:38 am

Postby VEFF on Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:29 pm

candy99 wrote:
VEFF wrote:Interesting FIRST post............................... hmmmmm.....


I only asked for opinion on this cheap media, nothing else. Maybe i should not post in future. :-k


Sorry if I misinterpreted your post.
I was actuallty going to edit it thinking it might indeed be an honest post, but got tied up at work; it's been hectic at work yet again.
Ironically I am usually the last person to reply like that to a post (I almost always give people the benefit of doubt), even those (not yours) that really are spam. It's been that kind of day... ;)

Please keep posting and accept my apologies.
:oops:

It is just that this forum, as most others, gets spammers.
The fact that your very first post had a link to some great media
from an unfamiliar site made it seem like it might be self advertising or SPAM, which is against the rules....
Burners only:
Pioneer DVR-115D
Pioneer DVR-111D
Plextor PX-716A TLA0304
Plextor PX-716A same TLA

LiteOn 52246S 52X CD-RW
LiteOn 52246S (another)
LiteOn 52327S 52X CD-RW
TDK 40X USB 2.0 CD-RW
TEAC CD-W540E 40X CD-RW
User avatar
VEFF
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 2025
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2002 9:36 pm

Postby VEFF on Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:31 pm

Ian wrote:VEFF was probably thinking the guy was a spammer. I don't think he is. Most of them do lame posts like:

Look at this cheap media I found! It good!

www.iliketospam.com/mydiscsarecheapjunk.html


Yes, as per my reply (directly above this post), I did get that initial impression. I didn't state it directly, because I wanted to see if I was alone in thinking that.
I didn't want to come across as harsh, because that isn't my style,
and is why I intended to edit it before all H**l broke loose at work.
Burners only:
Pioneer DVR-115D
Pioneer DVR-111D
Plextor PX-716A TLA0304
Plextor PX-716A same TLA

LiteOn 52246S 52X CD-RW
LiteOn 52246S (another)
LiteOn 52327S 52X CD-RW
TDK 40X USB 2.0 CD-RW
TEAC CD-W540E 40X CD-RW
User avatar
VEFF
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 2025
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2002 9:36 pm

Postby alexnoe on Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:35 pm

Well, you explained that Maxell's are superior to any RITEK, however I did ask the following and have not read any reply relating to it:
Ah, ok.

Such cheap media is often of inconsistent quality, so some people who might have tried it will say yes, some will say no...
alexnoe
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 405
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:31 am

Postby candy99 on Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:39 pm

VEFF wrote:Sorry if I misinterpreted your post.
I was actuallty going to edit it thinking it might indeed be an honest post, but got tied up at work; it's been hectic at work yet again.
Ironically I am usually the last person to reply like that to a post (I almost always give people the benefit of doubt), even those (not yours) that really are spam. It's been that kind of day... ;)

Please keep posting and accept my apologies.
:oops:

It is just that this forum, as most others, gets spammers.
The fact that your very first post had a link to some great media
from an unfamiliar site made it seem like it might be self advertising or SPAM, which is against the rules....


Hey, no need to apologise. ;) I understand your point and can imagine how some new members may spam the forum with their own links.

I think I'll just go and buy some to see if they're as good as they're made out to be and let you know of my results.

Thnx.
candy99
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:38 am

Postby VEFF on Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:19 pm

Please do!
I think we'd all like to know how you make out with them.
Good luck.

Do they ship to the US though?
I noticed the prices are all listed in British Sterling / Pounds.
Burners only:
Pioneer DVR-115D
Pioneer DVR-111D
Plextor PX-716A TLA0304
Plextor PX-716A same TLA

LiteOn 52246S 52X CD-RW
LiteOn 52246S (another)
LiteOn 52327S 52X CD-RW
TDK 40X USB 2.0 CD-RW
TEAC CD-W540E 40X CD-RW
User avatar
VEFF
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 2025
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2002 9:36 pm

Postby jase on Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:14 pm

This is a 4x disc, right?

There are many importers and distros at the moment selling end-of-line media made by Taiwanese manufacturers for Japanese majors, and this is another of them. The disc is probably of pretty high quality.

I've come across Sony (Daxon), Fuji (Prodisc), MCC (Prodisc), TDK (CMC) and some others. Quite common at present, and if you want 4x media there are bargains to be had, often quite a bit cheaper than £8/25 as well.
jase
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 965
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2001 8:00 pm


Return to DVD Writers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

All Content is Copyright (c) 2001-2017 CDRLabs Inc.