Home News Reviews Forums Shop

DVD video disc title length in 6.3.1.25?

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

DVD video disc title length in 6.3.1.25?

Postby KuoH on Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:53 pm

Can anyone enlighten me as to why I can no longer create titles longer than 16 characters in 6.x? I've tried various combinations of the ISO9660 and Joliet options as well as unchecking Joliet, but the titles are always truncated to 16 characters. I must be missing something, because this was not a problem with 5.5x.

KuoH
KuoH
CD-RW Thug

Postby CCampbell on Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:06 pm

Are you talking about the Disc Label?

We have never supported Disc Labels longer than 16 characters using Nero Burning ROM or Nero Express. Are you sure you were not using the InCD software?

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby KuoH on Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:21 pm

If that's the same thing as the disc name/title, then yes, and I was using Nero Burning Rom, not Express or InCD. It may not have been officially supported, but it has worked all the way up to 5.5.1056 and the DVDs have played fine in all players and computers I've tried. It's nice to have the entire title of the disc show up instead of just the first 16 characters.

KuoH

CCampbell wrote:Are you talking about the Disc Label?

We have never supported Disc Labels longer than 16 characters using Nero Burning ROM or Nero Express. Are you sure you were not using the InCD software?
KuoH
CD-RW Thug

Postby CCampbell on Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:31 pm

Hmm, I thought we were talking about Nero 6.6, sorry. :)

As for Nero 5.5, it's been a while since I used Nero 5.5 so I can not remember off the top of my head if it did support longer Disc Labels.

I'll have to check, but Nero 6 has defineately been limited to 16 characters for Disc Label names.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby KuoH on Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:34 pm

Actually, I was specifically asking about 6.x and just pointing out that it was available in 5.5x. Is there a particular reason that they decided to limit it to 16 characters in 6.x?

KuoH

CCampbell wrote:Hmm, I thought we were talking about Nero 6.6, sorry. :)

As for Nero 5.5, it's been a while since I used Nero 5.5 so I can not remember off the top of my head if it did support longer Disc Labels.

I'll have to check, but Nero 6 has defineately been limited to 16 characters for Disc Label names.
KuoH
CD-RW Thug

Postby CCampbell on Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:36 pm

Just for compatibility issues. Even if you've never had problems, I know of a number of others who report issues with only more than 8 characters, or when Joliet file names are used instead of ISO9660.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby KuoH on Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:46 pm

Well I can certainly understand making the software as compatible and as easy for users as possible, but if they have problems with more than 8 characters, then what's the difference if the software is capable of 16 or 32 characters or more? Is it not possible to make it an option buried deep in the preferences somewhere so those who want to take the risk with a longer name can do so?

KuoH

CCampbell wrote:Just for compatibility issues. Even if you've never had problems, I know of a number of others who report issues with only more than 8 characters, or when Joliet file names are used instead of ISO9660.
KuoH
CD-RW Thug

Postby KuoH on Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:19 pm

Just curious if Nero has reconsider the inclusion of this "option" in the newer versions? 5.5 has served me well and I see that there have been steady improvements to 6.x and would consider upgrading for better drive compatibility if it were not for this restriction.

KuoH
KuoH
CD-RW Thug

Postby CCampbell on Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:35 pm

I will put in the request, but can not promise if it will be implemented.

Regards

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby Scandy on Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:07 pm

I just started using Nero recently (it came with the new DVD drive that I purchased). I was surprised at the 16 character limit. All of my other DVD burning software supports longer disk names (volume labels). I thought that Nero would support this since Nero is considered to be one of the better burning programs.

Count me as one of the users who would appreciate it if Nero would support the longer labels.
Scandy
Buffer Underrun

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)