Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Easy Media Creator 9

Easy Media Creator, Toast, RecordNow, MyDVD, WinOnCD, DLA, etc.

Easy Media Creator 9

Postby deinabog on Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:25 am

Anyone else getting this? I'll be ordering it from either Buy.com or Amazon.
A man must have a code -Bunk
deinabog
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:55 pm

I wouldn't mind giving it a try (hint.. Sonic PR send me a copy.. hint). I liked version 8.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby redk9258 on Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:57 pm

Ian wrote:I wouldn't mind giving it a try (hint.. Sonic PR send me a copy.. hint). I liked version 8.

I also like EMC8 with one major exception. If you do not disable RoxWatch (IIRC it installs with media manager) it will scan all of your media files and takes the liberty to change the date modified. This REALLY pissed me off when I found all of the dates modified changed for all of the digital pictures and sound files on my HD. Thank God I had a Ghost image from right before installing EMC8 and was able to recover the files with the proper dates. I make sure to run Ghost anytime I install new software now.
redk9258
CD-RW Player

Postby hoxlund on Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:02 pm

Attachments
roxio 9.JPG
roxio 9.JPG (208.14 KiB) Viewed 13244 times
Thermaltake Core X5 Snow Edition TG Case
Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
AMD Threadripper 1950x @ 4.1GHz
Custom Loop w/ EK MSI x399 Monoblock
G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 3200 RGB Memory
MSI 1080Ti Lightning X Video Card
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby Justin42 on Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:08 pm

redk9258 wrote:
Ian wrote:I wouldn't mind giving it a try (hint.. Sonic PR send me a copy.. hint). I liked version 8.

I also like EMC8 with one major exception. If you do not disable RoxWatch (IIRC it installs with media manager) it will scan all of your media files and takes the liberty to change the date modified. This REALLY pissed me off when I found all of the dates modified changed for all of the digital pictures and sound files on my HD. Thank God I had a Ghost image from right before installing EMC8 and was able to recover the files with the proper dates. I make sure to run Ghost anytime I install new software now.

Yeah, the EMC8 install was brutal. The first time I installed it it put a TON of new services (media scanners, Roxio P2P app, etc, etc) without ANY explanation. And when I disabled the majority of the useless services, surprise surprise, it no longer started. It took me 3-4 tries of uninstalling and reinstalling just to figure out what custom install I needed to install to get what I wanted without all the weird services.

The problem is EMC 7 was about 1/3 a great program, and 2/3 a dog. EMC 8 is about the same. Between the 2 programs, you get about 1/2 REALLY cool functionality (I like the basically one click DVD-audio -> WAV conversions) and 1/2 utter crap that either doesn't work at all, is so buggy it may as well not work, or is entirely useless. The first time I used EMC 8 I managed to lock it up just trying to look at the different drop down menus. And I hate how Roxio/Sonic releases like 1 big update patch (usually about a week after release ;) ) and then pretends like it's a bug-free, stable product with no further patching needed. At least Nero offers consistent updates to try to work problems out.

Not to mention no one at Roxio seems to understand how their product even works. The support forums can be decent if you're lucky and get the right user on at the right time; but their support pretty much always ignored me with questions that were a bit beyond the norm. (like asking if I could disable Drag-To-Disc for JUST my DVD-RAM burner so that the DVD-RAM drivers would do the work on DVD-RAM discs-- D2D toasted a few of my DVD-RAM discs. They never responded so I just uninstalled it. No matter what I tweaked, even if it sorta looked right, D2D always popped up when I went to use a DVD-RAM disc.)

I really miss the good old days of like ECDC 3.5 and 4, where it was an awesome CD burning app; a decent label maker, and some good (but basic) sound editing tools, and nothing more.

But it seems like Nero's gone the same direction with Nero 7. It's like, if you're going to add tons of bloat AT LEAST MAKE IT SO IT DOESN'T FREEZE UP MY ENTIRE PC IF SOMETHING GOES WRONG!
Justin42
CD-RW Player

Postby hoxlund on Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:30 pm

just stick with nero 6.6, i plan on using it for a very long time

or until i get my hd/bd dvd burner installed
Thermaltake Core X5 Snow Edition TG Case
Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
AMD Threadripper 1950x @ 4.1GHz
Custom Loop w/ EK MSI x399 Monoblock
G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 3200 RGB Memory
MSI 1080Ti Lightning X Video Card
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby Han on Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:44 am

WinOnCD 6.03 Power/DVD Edition works for me.

It's really a shame that such a great product was shut down after Roxio/Sonic purchased it. You'll say - hey, there's WinOnCD 8. True, but this is in fact Easy Media Creator 8, which is, as said before, quite useless. Furthermore, it's in German language only. #-o
Han
CD-RW PiMP

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:56 am

Han wrote:Furthermore, it's in German language only. #-o

yeah, too bad.

hi there Han, nice to see you again.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron