Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Handcuffing a 9 year old for "stealing" bunny from

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

Handcuffing a 9 year old for "stealing" bunny from

Postby VEFF on Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:07 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/South/04/09/girl.handcuffed.ap/index.html

Stuff like this makes me wonder about the criminal justice system in the US!

Why not get the people who have been arrested 10 times for driving drunk and are still on the road, or people like the soldier (just one example; I am not singling out soldiers) who molested/raped several times but kept getting off because the army protected him and didn't charge him or turn him in, or indict the priests who molest young boys and are protected by the church.
That is all outrageous!
Burners only:
Pioneer DVR-115D
Pioneer DVR-111D
Plextor PX-716A TLA0304
Plextor PX-716A same TLA

LiteOn 52246S 52X CD-RW
LiteOn 52246S (another)
LiteOn 52327S 52X CD-RW
TDK 40X USB 2.0 CD-RW
TEAC CD-W540E 40X CD-RW
VEFF
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:12 pm

Wierd.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby Shaman on Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:14 pm

The standards for hiring police officers have been lowered. A neighbor of mine is a decorated retired homicide detective who worked in New York City. He confirms that the men and women hired today are not the same caliber of men and women hired two decades ago. But look at the positive side of this, I bet the incidence of 9 year olds arrested for bunny napping will be greatly reduced after this incident is widely reported. Will the child be prosecuted as an adult?
Shaman
CD-RW Thug

Re: Handcuffing a 9 year old for "stealing" bunny

Postby Ian on Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:27 pm

VEFF wrote:people like the soldier (just one example; I am not singling out soldiers) who molested/raped several times but kept getting off because the army protected him

I'm running into that problem right now. Remember that guy that screwed 60 people out of a total of $5100 on eBay? Anywhere else, it would be a felony, but the Navy really didn't want to deal with it. Fortunately, the NCIS doesn't take things like this quite as lightly.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Re: Handcuffing a 9 year old for "stealing" bunny

Postby VEFF on Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:02 pm

Ian wrote:
VEFF wrote:people like the soldier (just one example; I am not singling out soldiers) who molested/raped several times but kept getting off because the army protected him

I'm running into that problem right now. Remember that guy that screwed 60 people out of a total of $5100 on eBay? Anywhere else, it would be a felony, but the Navy really didn't want to deal with it. Fortunately, the NCIS doesn't take things like this quite as lightly.

Well, good luck Ian!
Keep us posted. If nobody fights for their rights, people will continue to take advantage of others.
Burners only:
Pioneer DVR-115D
Pioneer DVR-111D
Plextor PX-716A TLA0304
Plextor PX-716A same TLA

LiteOn 52246S 52X CD-RW
LiteOn 52246S (another)
LiteOn 52327S 52X CD-RW
TDK 40X USB 2.0 CD-RW
TEAC CD-W540E 40X CD-RW
VEFF
CD-RW Player

Postby LoneWolf on Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:48 am

To post a very mild rebuttal:

I read the article. Apparently this is not the 9 year-old's first "incident", at least from what I read on CNN's version of it. The police didn't abuse or hurt her. Knowing how I'd have been disciplined as a kid for stealing another child's property, is it so bad to use a mild scare tactic intended to teach a child not to do it again?

I think that most versions of this were overdramatized in a way that makes the police look either foolish, or overbearing. I doubt very much that it went down that way.

P.S. VEFF, in response to your original post, double standards can sometimes happen mainly because one police department in one municipality/county/etc. isn't the same as one five states away. No, it isn't necessarily right or fair, but I think the law has gotten too complex in some ways, too much for each police officer to know every single reg. That, along with a wide variance in how judges see their role in law enforement (literal interpretation vs. social agenda) and this is just too complex a problem to address in one post.
Intel Q9450 @3.2GHz, Gigabyte GA EP45-UD3P, 4 x 2GB G.Skill @4-4-4-12
Antec P160SW case (modded), Xigmatek 750w PSU
3x 500GB (RAID-5), , OptiArc 7200S, ASUS E818A3T
Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer, Hauppauge HVR-1800, Radeon 4890
Dell 2407WFP
LoneWolf
CD-RW Player

Return to The Beer Garden