Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Help,my Floppy is freakin' out!!!!!

CPU's? Motherboards? Video cards? Talk about it here.

Help,my Floppy is freakin' out!!!!!

Postby NoSmartz on Fri Dec 26, 2003 11:43 am

I don't know what the heck happened to my floppy drive.I was surfin' the other day and I hit the "File" or "Edit" button on the IE6 toolbar and my floppy started wiggin' out.It starts running at warp speed and runs for about 30 seconds or until I "X" (close) the opened file. Now if I open any .zip folder or .txt file it freaks out.I have to use wordpad to open every text file now.I don't have a clue why. :-?
Can someone explain?
Can I turn my floppy off permanently or is that not recommended?If yes,How?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
Soren Kierkegaard
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby Han on Fri Dec 26, 2003 11:56 am

Check the system for viruses and spyware. You can safely unplug the floppy's ribbon and power cable, but first uninstall it from Device Manger...
Han
CD-RW PiMP

Postby NoSmartz on Fri Dec 26, 2003 12:08 pm

I've Ad-awared and check't for viruses and both are clean.What about the BIOS checkin' for the floppy at startup?

E
Soren Kierkegaard
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby texascbx on Fri Dec 26, 2003 2:02 pm

Mine did the same thing the other day,don't know why,just removed the damn thing,useless item really with XP and the advent of USB Keychain type memory.Haven't missed it either.
texascbx
Buffer Underrun

Postby NoSmartz on Fri Dec 26, 2003 2:14 pm

Don't I have to turn somethin' off in the BIOS before I remove the floppy?
I believe it searches for it at startup.

E
Soren Kierkegaard
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby pranav81 on Fri Dec 26, 2003 3:27 pm

Hi NoSmartz,
If you want to disable the floppy drive,you may go into BIOS and select None in front of Drive A.Then remove the power connector/ribbon connector to the drive.The drive will not be seen in Windows then.If you dont disable the drive in BIOS,and remove the power/data cable then windows will show the drive even if there isn't one connected.
I myself dont trust floppy drive as the data on the floppies gets corrupted as soon as I copy some on a diskette.I have got a 32MB USB thumbdrive,which really is very handy.
Hope this helps,
See ya later,

::Pranav::
pranav81
CD-RW Player

Postby NoSmartz on Fri Dec 26, 2003 5:23 pm

That helps a lot pranav81. :D
I guess it wouldn't have hurt to left the BIOS alone but I wanted to get rid of all signs of that Floppy Drive forever.I use it once in a blue moon anyway so it's not a huge loss.My only problem now is that the Floppy I have now is a Floppy that fits in the entire 5.25" drive bay,not a normal one that fits a 3.50" drive bay.I guess I'll just have a useless dead drive left in place.I don't want a gaping hole in my case so I'll just leave it there.
I'll be looking into a thumbdrive(smartdrive)as a replacement.
A 32 mb thumbdrive here is pretty cheap.Especially now since xmas is over and the "real"sales will be going on.

E
Soren Kierkegaard
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Re: Help,my Floppy is freakin' out!!!!!

Postby redk9258 on Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:04 pm

NoSmartz wrote:I don't know what the heck happened to my floppy drive.I was surfin' the other day and I hit the "File" or "Edit" button on the IE6 toolbar and my floppy started wiggin' out.It starts running at warp speed and runs for about 30 seconds or until I "X" (close) the opened file. Now if I open any .zip folder or .txt file it freaks out.I have to use wordpad to open every text file now.I don't have a clue why. :-?
Can someone explain?
Can I turn my floppy off permanently or is that not recommended?If yes,How?

Here's a longshot. Do you have MS office installed? There is a little program called findfast that does something similar to what you describe. If so disable it from startup.
redk9258
CD-RW Player

Return to General Hardware Discussion