Home News Reviews Forums Shop


InCD Date/Time Stamps (Latest Nero)

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

InCD Date/Time Stamps (Latest Nero)

Postby iedmont on Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:01 am

Installed Nero 7.2.7.0 with InCD and when copying files (using InCD),
the date/time stamp changes. Anyone any ideas please? ... I need the stamps to be identical.

Many thanks.

Ian.
iedmont
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:49 am

InCD problem still exists in 5.5

Postby hornblower on Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:44 pm

Have just finished testing v7.5.1.1 and unfortunately the date problem still remains in InCD 5.5.
I have reverted to using Drag to Disk until they fix the problem.
Just for your info I have found Nero BurningROM freezes when I try and add files to a multi disc which contains many jpg files (>1000) not found out why and it might just be my computer.
HB :-?
hornblower
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:26 pm

Postby richstant on Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:06 am

I have the exact same issue with InCD. Makes backups a nightmware! Hopefully it'll be fixed soon....
richstant
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:18 am

Re: InCD Date/Time Stamps (Latest Nero)

Postby Howard Kaikow on Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:02 pm

iedmont wrote:Installed Nero 7.2.7.0 with InCD and when copying files (using InCD),
the date/time stamp changes. Anyone any ideas please? ... I need the stamps to be identical.

Many thanks.

Ian.


You can fix times using the programs at http://www.standards.com/index.html?ChangeTimesCover
Howard Kaikow
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 186
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2003 12:20 am

Postby hornblower on Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:36 pm

Just out of interest I queried the date problem with Nero and this is their reply.

Quote
Dear Mr. Hornblower,

Thank you for your e-mail.

When copying files within Windows or other operating systems, the copied files do always have the date and time of the day they were copied, thats why the date shows the date of copying.
Burning data to a disc using InCD is nothing other than copying the data to a disc.
If you want to keep the original date and time of the file, you need to use Backup Programs such as our Nero BackItUp, which will keep the original file information, because the files are not directly copied.

Please download the tutorial "Copy and Backup - step by step" from our website:
http://www.nero.com/nero7/eng/Tutorial_Copy_Backup.html
The tutorial explains each option in Nero Start Smart for Copy and Backup step by step.


If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to contact us again.

Best regards,

Jörg Munz
Nero Support

Nero AG
Im Stoeckmaedle 18
76307 Karlsbad
Germany
Fax : ++49 (0)7248 928 499
http://www.nero.com
Unquote

I find their response pathetic to say the least, either they are completely computer illiterate or they have no idea what they are talking about.
It is a pity because I like Nero but looks like I will have to go over to Roxio just to get Drag to Disc which does not change the dates
HB :(
hornblower
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:26 pm

Postby CCampbell on Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:10 pm

Hi Hornblower,

Not sure how you can call his response 'Pathetic'. What Mr. Munz has stated is true.

The 'Standard' is for any copy operation to show the date the file was copied. This is the standard used by Microsoft and many others.

While it's true that Roxio does allow you to keep the original date, it is not the standard.

And while a number of our customers would like to it reflect the original date when they use InCD, there are also a number of customers who want it to reflect the date it was copied.

Nero has always prided itself on following the standard to ensure compatibility and to provide a flow most customers are familiar with and so do not need to relearn. This applies to many areas, not just how InCD functions.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 966
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2002 9:27 pm
Location: Glendale, CA

Postby hornblower on Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:12 am

@ CCampbell

It would seem that either I am being completely misunderstood or my grasp of English is not sufficient to explain my point.
To clarify my points see below:

1)
If I copy a file from one folder to another on my hard drive the following happens.
The created date and the accessed date are changed to the date and time of copy.
The modified date remains unchanged to that of the original file.

2)
If I copy a file from my hard drive using InCD to a DVD or CD then all three dates (created, modified & accessed) are changed to the date and time of the copy operation.

3)
To observe this right click on the copied file and select properties.

If all dates are changed then synchronizing photographs or music files becomes impossible and thus renders the program (InCD) useless for use with all synchronization programs.

Your comment:
Quote
The 'Standard' is for any copy operation to show the date the file was copied.
Unquote

This comment if referring to the accessed date is correct however it is not correct when applied to the modified date. (At no time has the file been modified)

I suggest you actually try copying a file with explorer and checking the modified date and I will be interested to view your comments.

HB :-?
hornblower
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:26 pm

Postby CCampbell on Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:33 pm

Hi Hornblower,

Ahh, I was not thinking about the 'modified date'.

Hmm, let me look into this. I must admit I only did a quick check to see what windows was doing and did see the created date and accesed date.

Let me do some more research to confirm how Windows and others are doing it, then I'll approach our Engineers to see why we do things differently with InCD, if that turns out to be the case.

And you are correct, I do not use InCD that often, or any packet writing software. :-)

I'll come back with my findings and the response from our Engineers ASAP. But I have a lot on my table right now, so it might be a few weeks for me to pull this all together.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 966
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2002 9:27 pm
Location: Glendale, CA

Postby leonidnk on Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:48 pm

hornblower wrote:The created date and the accessed date are changed to the date and time of copy.
The modified date remains unchanged to that of the original file.

Seems to be very strange. When I copy any file from any map to any map (MS Windows XP SP2), only the accessed date are changed to the date and time of copy. I may do it with Total Commander or with Explorer, result is always the same.

And of coarse Mr. CCampbell are talking nonsense in his post of Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:40 am [-X
User avatar
leonidnk
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:35 pm

Postby hornblower on Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:58 am

@ leonidnk
Since reading your comment I have tried with all possible copy combinations using both Windows Explorer and Total Commander but in every case the Created date and Accessed date are changed.
I believe that it is correct for them both to change because:
1) The file has been accessed
2) The file has been created in its new location
I may be wrong and I often am but would be interested to hear if you know different.
I think the people in Nero are living in denial land re InCD which is a pity because an awful lot of people use Roxio just to be able to have drag to disc.
I know a lot of people have problems with packet programs but I never have and find them extremely useful for interim backups, a lot depends on your media and drive quality.

My rig is:
Dell XPS 700
Windows XP Home SP2
Pentium D Processor 930 Dual Core 3.00GHz
nVidia GeForce Dual 512MB 7900 GTX
Memory 2GB DDR2 SDRAM

HB 8)
hornblower
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:26 pm

Postby leonidnk on Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:07 am

hornblower wrote:Since reading your comment I have tried with all possible copy combinations using both Windows Explorer and Total Commander but in every case the Created date and Accessed date are changed.
I believe that it is correct for them both to change because:
1) The file has been accessed
2) The file has been created in its new location
I may be wrong and I often am but would be interested to hear if you know different.

Unfortunately, I do not know difference. However, I believe there is no sense to change the created date when you copy some file. Created date is created date.

I use two notebooks (office and home), I help my wife and my daughter with their notebooks. All this PCs have MS Windows XP Pro SP2 English-US. I never saw changing of the created date on these PCs after file copy.

I did use Total Commander – Synchronize Dirs… for years together with InCD and RW CD/DVD for backup purpose. But now, because of well-known InCD problems, I use extern USB 2.0 HDD. Alas! :cry:
User avatar
leonidnk
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:35 pm

Postby hornblower on Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:42 am

@ leonidnk
I must say I agree with you.
Logically it makes no sense to change the created date.
I am now investigating to see if I can find some reason for it on my computer.

Let’s hope there is somebody out there who knows what should happen to the dates and can reply to this thread.

HB :)
hornblower
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:26 pm

Postby dodecahedron on Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:43 am

leonidnk wrote:very strange. When I copy any file from any map to any map (MS Windows XP SP2), only the accessed date are changed to the date and time of copy. I may do it with Total Commander or with Explorer, result is always the same.

copying a file in Windows Explorer, the Modified date/time of the copy is the same as that of the original. the Created and Accessed dates/times are those of the creation of the copy.
that's what i get in Windows XP SP2.
maybe it shouldn't be this was (specifically the Created date/time) but that's how it is.

perhaps it's different in command line?
cp in Unix/Linux has a flag to keep original dates/times.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
User avatar
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon
 
Posts: 6865
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2002 12:04 am
Location: Israel

Postby hornblower on Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:57 am

Thanks dodecahedron for your input
I had started to think there was something wrong with my computer.
HB :D
hornblower
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:26 pm

Postby leonidnk on Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:49 am

dodecahedron wrote:copying a file in Windows Explorer, the Modified date/time of the copy is the same as that of the original. the Created and Accessed dates/times are those of the creation of the copy.
that's what i get in Windows XP SP2.
maybe it shouldn't be this was (specifically the Created date/time) but that's how it is.

Sorry, I am wrong.#-o I thought the “Date” in Total Commander and in Explorer is the created date, but it is the modified date/time. Hence, Total Commander – Synchronize Dirs… looking for the modified date/time to find the recent file version. When we use InCD together with Total Commander – Synchronize Dirs…, InCD changes all three date/time stamps to the actual copying time, and synchronization stops to work properly. By this reason I use extern USB HDD. :-?
User avatar
leonidnk
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:35 pm

Postby dodecahedron on Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:52 pm

i just made the previous post to clarify the issue of dates/times in Windows Explorer.
i agree with your grievance against InCD.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
User avatar
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon
 
Posts: 6865
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2002 12:04 am
Location: Israel

Postby Howard Kaikow on Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:52 pm

CCampbell wrote:Hi Hornblower,

Not sure how you can call his response 'Pathetic'. What Mr. Munz has stated is true.

The 'Standard' is for any copy operation to show the date the file was copied. This is the standard used by Microsoft and many others.

While it's true that Roxio does allow you to keep the original date, it is not the standard.

And while a number of our customers would like to it reflect the original date when they use InCD, there are also a number of customers who want it to reflect the date it was copied.

Nero has always prided itself on following the standard to ensure compatibility and to provide a flow most customers are familiar with and so do not need to relearn. This applies to many areas, not just how InCD functions.

Regards,

Craig


The standard is to allow the user to choose whether the dates should change, and the DEFAULT must be to NOT change the dates.

It is rather easy to preserve dates.
One can use the following to fix the times resulting from nero's misdesign.

http://www.standards.com/index.html?ChangeTimesCover

P.S. I was just about to order, and tell another to order, Nero 7 ultra edition enhanced, but the misdesign described in this thread changed that.
Howard Kaikow
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 186
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2003 12:20 am

Postby Howard Kaikow on Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:00 pm

dodecahedron wrote:
leonidnk wrote:very strange. When I copy any file from any map to any map (MS Windows XP SP2), only the accessed date are changed to the date and time of copy. I may do it with Total Commander or with Explorer, result is always the same.

copying a file in Windows Explorer, the Modified date/time of the copy is the same as that of the original. the Created and Accessed dates/times are those of the creation of the copy.
that's what i get in Windows XP SP2.
maybe it shouldn't be this was (specifically the Created date/time) but that's how it is.

perhaps it's different in command line?
cp in Unix/Linux has a flag to keep original dates/times.


I have managed to avoid Windows XP, but in Windows 2000, it is the same, but an app can do the right thing.

Did not somebody state that Drag To Disc does this correctly.
If so, wht bother with InCD?
Howard Kaikow
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 186
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2003 12:20 am

Postby Ian on Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:31 pm

You guys might want to try the latest version of InCD.

Code: Select all
InCD 5.5.5.0.11
Bug fixes
   o Time stamp matches the original date of file
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
User avatar
Ian
Grand Poobah
 
Posts: 14882
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2001 2:34 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Postby hornblower on Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:01 am

Good day Howard
I tried your ‘ChangePathTimes’ program today and found it to be excellent, just what I have been looking for.
Re dates/times with Nero; the latest version no longer changes the modified time (See Ian’s remark above) however it does still change the folder time as is the case with Windows Explorer when copying.
I am still searching for a packet program which does not change either the folder or file modified date, so far the only two I have found are:
NTI FileCD – This is not a true packet writing program and cannot be used with Sync. programs.
InterVideo DirectCDDVD – Very unstable and I think development stopped in 2004
Unfortunately with your program it is very time consuming as it is not possible to change the times/dates directly on the written to DVD (Unless I am using it wrongly) and I then have to re copy to the hard drive change the dates and then make my final disk using BurningROM
HB
hornblower
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:26 pm

Postby Howard Kaikow on Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:49 am

hornblower wrote:Good day Howard
I tried your ‘ChangePathTimes’ program today and found it to be excellent, just what I have been looking for.
Re dates/times with Nero; the latest version no longer changes the modified time (See Ian’s remark above) however it does still change the folder time as is the case with Windows Explorer when copying.
I am still searching for a packet program which does not change either the folder or file modified date, so far the only two I have found are:
NTI FileCD – This is not a true packet writing program and cannot be used with Sync. programs.
InterVideo DirectCDDVD – Very unstable and I think development stopped in 2004
Unfortunately with your program it is very time consuming as it is not possible to change the times/dates directly on the written to DVD (Unless I am using it wrongly) and I then have to re copy to the hard drive change the dates and then make my final disk using BurningROM
HB


There are two programs.

One copies the times from all the files in a path and subdirectories to the corresponding path on another volume.

The other program allows you to explictly set the times, or copy the times, for an individual file/directory. There is also provision for a batch mechanism to do a bunch at a time.
Howard Kaikow
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 186
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2003 12:20 am

Postby Howard Kaikow on Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:56 am

hornblower wrote:Unfortunately with your program it is very time consuming as it is not possible to change the times/dates directly on the written to DVD (Unless I am using it wrongly) and I then have to re copy to the hard drive change the dates and then make my final disk using BurningROM
HB


The program uses theWindows API to make the changes, so it should be able to change the times on any volume, no matter the device.
Howard Kaikow
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 186
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2003 12:20 am

Postby Howard Kaikow on Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:12 am

Howard Kaikow wrote:
hornblower wrote:Unfortunately with your program it is very time consuming as it is not possible to change the times/dates directly on the written to DVD (Unless I am using it wrongly) and I then have to re copy to the hard drive change the dates and then make my final disk using BurningROM
HB


The program uses theWindows API to make the changes, so it should be able to change the times on any volume, no matter the device.


Just tried with CD-RW.
Program correctly changed te times.

I suspect a problem with the settings for the DVD recorder, or the softwaere used to write on the DVD. THe ChangePathTimes program works via the Windows aPI and has no need to even know the type of media, indeed, it could just as well be a virtual volume mounted by True Image or Shadow Protect.
Howard Kaikow
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 186
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2003 12:20 am

Postby hornblower on Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:27 am

Hi Howard
Thanks for your quick reply
I am using InCD 5.5.0.11
This is what happens:
1 Copy files from D: Hard drive to G: DVD Drive using InCD
2 Run Change Path Times which is in D:
3 Select in Process – Directories
4 Select appropriate directories
5 Click on Modify times
6 The DVD drive starts up and Change Path Times says finished
7 Unfortunately the dates are not changed
As you say this may be due to InCD
If I try Change Path Times using hard drive to hard drive then all is well so it looks like I am using the program correctly.
Anyway many thanks for your input and as I said before I find your program very useful for work outside of InCD copies.
HB
:)
hornblower
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:26 pm

Postby Howard Kaikow on Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:11 am

hornblower wrote:Hi Howard
Thanks for your quick reply
I am using InCD 5.5.0.11
This is what happens:
1 Copy files from D: Hard drive to G: DVD Drive using InCD
2 Run Change Path Times which is in D:
3 Select in Process – Directories
4 Select appropriate directories
5 Click on Modify times
6 The DVD drive starts up and Change Path Times says finished
7 Unfortunately the dates are not changed
As you say this may be due to InCD
If I try Change Path Times using hard drive to hard drive then all is well so it looks like I am using the program correctly.
Anyway many thanks for your input and as I said before I find your program very useful for work outside of InCD copies.
HB
:)


Are you trying to change JUST the Directory times?
If not, you have to select "Files and directories".

Another possibility is the following.

If the Windows EXplorer window for the DVD drive is open while the ChangePathTimes program is running, after the program completes, you have to refresh the Windows Explorer window, say by putting the cursor in the window and hitting F5.

Or just do not have the DVD drive open in an explorer window until after you run the program.

Whether InCD or Drag2Disc or ... is used is irrelevant to the program.

THe problem you are seeing is due to either:

1. Not refreshing, if already open, te Windows EXplorer Window for the DVD.

2. A serious bug in InCD.

As an experiment, use the ChangeFileTimes program to change/copy file times. Do not have the Windows Explorer window for the DVD open when running the program. Does that change the times?

Also, try the ChangePathTimes and ChangeFileTimes with CD-RW.

For CD-RW, using DRag2Disc, works for me.
Howard Kaikow
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 186
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2003 12:20 am

Next

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

All Content is Copyright (c) 2001-2017 CDRLabs Inc.