I have just burnt my second CD-R Lightscribe label since Christmas!
I have just found a firmware upgrade for my HP 840i DVD burner (available here http://tinyurl.com/gdsmf ) and after updating the firmware and rebooting I tried a LS CD-R label.
Initially, Nero's cover designer went into the usual "Not Responding" session for a couple of minutes or so before spitting the previously inserted disk out. Given the option to retry, I pushed the disk back in and tried again.
This time, the system found the LS disk straight away and gave me the option to 'print'. I did so and lo and behold, I now have a labelled CD-R.
I also have the latest LS drivers 184.108.40.206 installed - and before the firmware upgrade, they didn't help.
Not sure if this is a one off - so I'll have to prep another CD for labelling.
For the moment though, I am one happy bunny