Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Liteon 52x burning quality problem

Burn baby burn!

Liteon 52x burning quality problem

Postby lppnet on Mon Dec 09, 2002 5:20 am

just bought the drive for about 1 week. It works nice and no error in every disc that i throw to it for the first three days. after that, every discs that i burned are full of demaged area (30%++) and the last sector of the cdr always unreadable when scan with nero cdspeed. so, i get my drive back to the shop for replacement and they agree that the drive is defected. the same problem happen again with the new replacement. this time it never burn a good cdr from the first time i used it. the cdrs that i'm using are by prodisc, cmc, ritek and mitsubishi. is anyone have the same problem? will the power supply affect my cdrw drive as mentioned by the shop technician? my power supply is a 230watt power supply. i connected it with 2 hard drives, 1 floppy drive, 1 cd-rom drive and 1 cdrw drive. really feel like crying :cry:
lppnet
CD-RW Thug

Postby lppnet on Mon Dec 09, 2002 8:45 am

oh! what i should do now? :(
lppnet
CD-RW Thug

Postby jase on Mon Dec 09, 2002 9:53 am

The PSU shouldn't affect write quality, your motherboard would be blue-screening and hanging long before stuff like that was happening.

Have you tried using the drive in a different PC, or using a known working drive in yours? It is possible, though unlikely, that you've had two defective drives. The LiteOn can throw a wobbler if the PSU current is too low, but it usually complains by throwing the tray out every time you switch on.

The media shouldn't be the problem, but try writing at 4x, and see how you go there.

Also try copying a disc by reading in from the LiteOn to your HDD and back again, rather than on the fly from your CDROM drive.

My personal theory is that your IDE channels are malfunctioning somehow. Try disabling UDMA in your BIOS (set the LiteOn to PIO mode 4) and / or setting your IDE drivers in Windows to the Microsoft defaults.

BTW the last sector in CD-Speed Scandisc always comes up red. Nothing to worry about ;)
jase
CD-RW Player

Postby Action Jackson on Mon Dec 09, 2002 8:10 pm

What's the rest of your system like? Esp. the harddrive and optical drive setup?

I have a 52x liteON too but it's never given me a problem with a 275w or my new 430w psu. But the powersupplies were from a major brand name companies [PCPower&Cooling and Antec].
Action Jackson
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives