Home News Reviews Forums Shop

LiteOn isn't always the most media compatible ;)

Burn baby burn!

LiteOn isn't always the most media compatible ;)

Postby jase on Mon Mar 03, 2003 7:15 pm

Despite what you may think :-?

I got some CDRs from a new manufacturer today, "32x" rated media from Multi-Play Technology. Nicely packaged these discs with a gold-coloured top. ATIP MMM&M (uh-oh, I thought to myself......)

Sure enough, they were total junk. BTC 48x makes a complete hash of them. It only sees the discs as 16x, and proceeds to make a complete mess of them -- C1 error rates AVERAGING 160..... C2 errors followed soon after :cry:

So off to the trusty LiteOn. Sees the discs as 52x. Try a write at 52x, slows down after around 40 minutes, resulting disc barely readable. C1 error rates peaking at over 700, and thousands of C2s. Not good. Similar story at 32x, 24x and 16x (remember these were supposed to be 32x discs).

These discs are going back, thinks I, as they are the worst discs I've used. Still, let's try the Artec 52x. That drive has higher C1 averages than most, so it'll be like a bomb-site lol. Well I was in for a shock.

The drive sees them as 32x media. Thing is, it'll write to them with JustSpeed switched off, at 52x, with an average error rate of only 11, maximum 40, with no slowdowns and no C2 errors. So these discs are clearly up to the job, even if they aren't particularly fantastic. Try telling that to LiteOn.

Given the other results, a highly impressive result, or an atrocious one for BTC and LiteOn depending on the way you look at it.

Moral of the story... don't buy a LiteOn thinking it'll write to a piece of toast. It won't. No one drive is perfect, and maybe this result will shut the fanboys among you up once and for all :lol:
jase
CD-RW Player

Re: LiteOn isn't always the most media compatible ;)

Postby cfitz on Mon Mar 03, 2003 7:33 pm

jase wrote:Moral of the story... don't buy a LiteOn thinking it'll write to a piece of toast. It won't. No one drive is perfect, and maybe this result will shut the fanboys among you up once and for all :lol:

LiteOn drives won't write to toast? :o And here I just put in an order for 50 loaves at my local bakery. :( How about bagels? It seems they would be more suitable, what with the round shape and the hole in the middle... :wink:

Seriously, I like LiteOn and own one, but I never thought they should be declared the be-all and end-all universal writers. For example, their distaste for Verbatim media isn't news. And they don't always do the best with CMC media either (although what drive does? :wink: )

As you say, no drive is perfect. LiteOn's are still pretty darn good, though, and a fine value for the money.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby jase on Mon Mar 03, 2003 7:40 pm

Hmmmm, bagels. nothing like a nice toasted scone at breakfast time either. Care for some tea, my good man?

I wasn't referring to you cfitz, but there are some total fanboys on here (<cough>xlund<cough><splutter> :lol: ) who think LiteOn can do no wrong, and all other makes are in their shadow. While I too quite like LiteOn, I beg to differ on this one.
jase
CD-RW Player

Postby Maki on Mon Mar 03, 2003 9:39 pm

My liteon was horrible with most media. It could burn ritek and taiyo yudens without a problem. Everything else was hit and miss. (Mostly miss.)

Oh, it liked my old verbatims and sony's. Course those were all 4 or 8x media.
Maki
Buffer Underrun

Re: LiteOn isn't always the most media compatible ;)

Postby Harrier on Tue Mar 04, 2003 10:41 am

cfitz wrote:
jase wrote:Moral of the story... don't buy a LiteOn Seriously, I like LiteOn and own one, but I never thought they should be declared the be-all and end-all universal writers. For example, their distaste for Verbatim media isn't news. And they don't always do the best with CMC media either (although what drive does? :wink: )

cfitz

Teac.
Harrier
CD-RW Player

Postby TheWizard on Tue Mar 04, 2003 5:13 pm

LG drives perform well with CMC media too. I have had zero problems using a variety of CMC media in my LG burners.
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Tue Mar 04, 2003 5:59 pm

Out of all the disks I have used, only TY 48x really like my LTR-48125W. Most CMCs are crap, (only good ones I have used were those Philips 40x.) Riteks don't do good at all. Only the TY.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives