Home News Reviews Forums Shop


Mem TY 40X = NO 52X w/ 52246S unlike what media thread says

Burn baby burn!

Mem TY 40X = NO 52X w/ 52246S unlike what media thread says

Postby VEFF on Sat Jan 18, 2003 9:57 am

I tried a Memorex CD-R made by Taiyo Yuden with my new LTR52246S * which according to the media thread here says 52X, but it only lets me select 40X as the burn speed in Nero.

Has anyone been able to use Nero and select 52X burn speed with Memorex TY 40X?

Thanks for any feedback, as always! :)

* Flashed a brand new Memorex 52Maxx to a LiteOn LTR-52246S with mtkflash last night.

PS: On a side note, I used a TDK (Ritek) 40X, and it did let me select 52X :)
Unfortunately my hard drive buffer and recorder buffer can't keep up, and it also drops to 24X at end of disc (verified by being able to see real burn speed with registry trick).
I then checked my hard drive and realized that it is already BADLY defragmented already (69% file fragmentation; I've never had it that bad)I defragmented it not that long ago), I guess because of the ULTRA large files (some are 1 gig) I work with. I'll defragment it this weekend and try again.
Or I coult try using another of my three hard drives (I think one of them should be OK as far as fragmentation is concerned, since I don't use that one for storing very large files).
Burners only:
Pioneer DVR-115D
Pioneer DVR-111D
Plextor PX-716A TLA0304
Plextor PX-716A same TLA

LiteOn 52246S 52X CD-RW
LiteOn 52246S (another)
LiteOn 52327S 52X CD-RW
TDK 40X USB 2.0 CD-RW
TEAC CD-W540E 40X CD-RW
User avatar
VEFF
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 2025
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2002 9:36 pm

Re: Mem TY 40X = NO 52X w/ 52246S unlike what media thread s

Postby cfitz on Sat Jan 18, 2003 11:02 am

VEFF wrote:Has anyone been able to use Nero and select 52X burn speed with Memorex TY 40X?

Whoever reported that result may have turned off SMART-BURN in order to burn at higher than the recommended speed. Try it yourself and see if you get a good burn. SMART-BURN is sometimes overly conservative.

VEFF wrote:PS: On a side note, I used a TDK (Ritek) 40X, and it did let me select 52X :)
Unfortunately my hard drive buffer and recorder buffer can't keep up, and it also drops to 24X at end of disc (verified by being able to see real burn speed with registry trick).

Was it really your hard drive that couldn't keep up (i.e. did the buffer guages on Nero dip towards empty), or did SMART-BURN adjust the burn speed to a lower value at the edge of the disc because it was having a harder time maintaining burn quality? The outside edge of the disc is the hardest to burn both because the burn speeds are highest (for CAV drives) and because wobble and vibration are at their worst.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon
 
Posts: 4572
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2002 10:44 am

Re: Mem TY 40X = NO 52X w/ 52246S unlike what media thread s

Postby VEFF on Sat Jan 18, 2003 11:15 am

cfitz wrote:
VEFF wrote:Has anyone been able to use Nero and select 52X burn speed with Memorex TY 40X?

Whoever reported that result may have turned off SMART-BURN in order to burn at higher than the recommended speed. Try it yourself and see if you get a good burn. SMART-BURN is sometimes overly conservative.

VEFF wrote:PS: On a side note, I used a TDK (Ritek) 40X, and it did let me select 52X :)
Unfortunately my hard drive buffer and recorder buffer can't keep up, and it also drops to 24X at end of disc (verified by being able to see real burn speed with registry trick).

Was it really your hard drive that couldn't keep up (i.e. did the buffer guages on Nero dip towards empty), or did SMART-BURN adjust the burn speed to a lower value at the edge of the disc because it was having a harder time maintaining burn quality? The outside edge of the disc is the hardest to burn both because the burn speeds are highest (for CAV drives) and because wobble and vibration are at their worst.

cfitz



RE 1) Thanks. I was also thinking of turning SmartBURN off, just to see what happens.
I just don't know of too many programs that check disc quality.
I guess I'll use Nero's scan disc again (I just know that one of the two options never works).

RE 2) It was both:
Initially it was the two buffers going down, without any speed adjustment by SmartBURN.
But towards the end of the burn (about 3/4 or so into the burn) (maybe because it had determined from the burn stats to that point that my hard drive couldn't keep up OR maybe because the media has issues?) it dropped to 24X and the buffers BOTH stayed between 97 - 100% full from then.
Burners only:
Pioneer DVR-115D
Pioneer DVR-111D
Plextor PX-716A TLA0304
Plextor PX-716A same TLA

LiteOn 52246S 52X CD-RW
LiteOn 52246S (another)
LiteOn 52327S 52X CD-RW
TDK 40X USB 2.0 CD-RW
TEAC CD-W540E 40X CD-RW
User avatar
VEFF
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 2025
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2002 9:36 pm

Re: Mem TY 40X = NO 52X w/ 52246S unlike what media thread s

Postby cfitz on Sat Jan 18, 2003 11:20 am

VEFF wrote:RE 1) Thanks. I was also thinking of turning SmartBURN off, just to see what happens.
I just don't know of too many programs that check disc quality.
I guess I'll use Nero's scan disc again (I just know that one of the two options never works).

In your case I also recommend CD Doctor:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic. ... 5549#45549

It works with LiteOn drives and shows both C1 and C2 errors. Not to mention the cool translation. 8) :wink:

VEFF wrote:RE 2) It was both:
Initially it was the two buffers going down, without any speed adjustment by SmartBURN.
But towards the end of the burn (about 3/4 or so into the burn) (maybe because it had determined from the burn stats to that point that my hard drive couldn't keep up OR maybe because the media has issues?) it dropped to 24X and the buffers BOTH stayed between 97 - 100% full from then.

You've got to whip those hard drives into shape. It's a sad day for hard drives (and a happy day for CD burners??) when a hard drive can't keep up with a burner. I'm assuming you've got DMA enabled properly.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon
 
Posts: 4572
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2002 10:44 am

Re: Mem TY 40X = NO 52X w/ 52246S unlike what media thread s

Postby VEFF on Sat Jan 18, 2003 11:35 am

cfitz wrote:
VEFF wrote:RE 1) Thanks. I was also thinking of turning SmartBURN off, just to see what happens.
I just don't know of too many programs that check disc quality.
I guess I'll use Nero's scan disc again (I just know that one of the two options never works).

In your case I also recommend CD Doctor:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic. ... 5549#45549

It works with LiteOn drives and shows both C1 and C2 errors. Not to mention the cool translation. 8) :wink:

VEFF wrote:RE 2) It was both:
Initially it was the two buffers going down, without any speed adjustment by SmartBURN.
But towards the end of the burn (about 3/4 or so into the burn) (maybe because it had determined from the burn stats to that point that my hard drive couldn't keep up OR maybe because the media has issues?) it dropped to 24X and the buffers BOTH stayed between 97 - 100% full from then.

You've got to whip those hard drives into shape. It's a sad day for hard drives (and a happy day for CD burners??) when a hard drive can't keep up with a burner. I'm assuming you've got DMA enabled properly.

cfitz


Thanks I'll try CD Doctor.

The CD-RW is hooked up to my Maxtor/Promise Ultra100 ATA100 PCI card which, with the BIOS that they for some reason pulled from the site after I got it, reports Ultra DMA2.
The old BIOS never reported transfer mode upon bootup.

The hard drives are hard to keep defragamented when you have a cable modem and DVD burner and often deal with large files :)
Burners only:
Pioneer DVR-115D
Pioneer DVR-111D
Plextor PX-716A TLA0304
Plextor PX-716A same TLA

LiteOn 52246S 52X CD-RW
LiteOn 52246S (another)
LiteOn 52327S 52X CD-RW
TDK 40X USB 2.0 CD-RW
TEAC CD-W540E 40X CD-RW
User avatar
VEFF
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 2025
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2002 9:36 pm

Postby Ian on Sat Jan 18, 2003 12:50 pm

VEFF, I can confirm your findings. Those discs seem to be older TY's. They won't go beyond 40x in most drives.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
User avatar
Ian
Grand Poobah
 
Posts: 14882
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2001 2:34 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Postby VEFF on Sat Jan 18, 2003 1:15 pm

Ian wrote:VEFF, I can confirm your findings. Those discs seem to be older TY's. They won't go beyond 40x in most drives.


Thanks Ian!

I have a ton of blank CD-Rs still (been slowing down quite a bit and and also burning more things to DVD-R lately), and the large majority can't be written to at 52X.
I think quite a few are capable of 48X, however.

I will be going to the mega mall with my girlfriend today to look around and to go ice skating.
They have BB, CompUSA, Circuit City and Staples! There is also an OM and OD on the way, if I take a slightly more local highway.
Any good discs for 52X burning? I may pick some up for testing while I am there - I don't trust the media thread entirely, because I don't know who posted each of the comments.
Burners only:
Pioneer DVR-115D
Pioneer DVR-111D
Plextor PX-716A TLA0304
Plextor PX-716A same TLA

LiteOn 52246S 52X CD-RW
LiteOn 52246S (another)
LiteOn 52327S 52X CD-RW
TDK 40X USB 2.0 CD-RW
TEAC CD-W540E 40X CD-RW
User avatar
VEFF
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 2025
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2002 9:36 pm

Postby cfitz on Sat Jan 18, 2003 1:24 pm

The Fuji/TY 48x and Verbatim Super AZO DataLife Plus 48x should do you. And of course, if you can find it, the Verbatim Super AZO DataLife Plus 52x as well:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/#3

You do read the news Ian so kindly posts for us, don't you?? :wink: :)

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon
 
Posts: 4572
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2002 10:44 am

Postby Dartman on Sat Jan 18, 2003 2:31 pm

I had the same thing happen here with both my older 48 and my 52. Seems like as was mentioned the older batches of the media wont go faster then 40x without cheating. newer batches can go faster I guess but none of my 40 rated stuff will go faster then 40 reliably for me.
I did get some newer 48 and it does 52 with Smart Burn enabled.
Now if I can just find a good Sony 500 cheap.......
User avatar
Dartman
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1549
Joined: Sun May 26, 2002 2:13 pm
Location: USA

Postby VEFF on Sat Jan 18, 2003 2:34 pm

cfitz wrote:The Fuji/TY 48x and Verbatim Super AZO DataLife Plus 48x should do you. And of course, if you can find it, the Verbatim Super AZO DataLife Plus 52x as well:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/#3

You do read the news Ian so kindly posts for us, don't you?? :wink: :)

cfitz


Yes, I saw that, but they may take some time to hit the stores.
She just called and will be here in five minutes, so we should hit the mall in a few hours. I'll see what they have on the shelves.
Burners only:
Pioneer DVR-115D
Pioneer DVR-111D
Plextor PX-716A TLA0304
Plextor PX-716A same TLA

LiteOn 52246S 52X CD-RW
LiteOn 52246S (another)
LiteOn 52327S 52X CD-RW
TDK 40X USB 2.0 CD-RW
TEAC CD-W540E 40X CD-RW
User avatar
VEFF
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 2025
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2002 9:36 pm

Postby Nhawk on Sat Jan 18, 2003 9:41 pm

All of my media can do 52X...bought mostly 6 months ago rated at 40 and 48X.
Fuji 48X (TY), Memorex 40X (TY), Memorex 48X (Prodisc), TDK 40X (Ritek), and Philips 48X (CMC).
Although CMC media doesn't work in a DVD player.
Nhawk
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2002 2:15 pm
Location: NY, NY


Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

All Content is Copyright (c) 2001-2017 CDRLabs Inc.