Home News Reviews Forums Shop


Memorex Burn/Nero Software - "Insert Empty Medium"

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Memorex Burn/Nero Software - "Insert Empty Medium"

Postby smashedgirl on Sun Aug 17, 2003 3:29 pm

After reading through the FAQ's in the help menu of Nero Express and on the Nero website, I STILL need help..and Nero TechSupport hasn't emailed me back.

Recently, when attempting to burn any cd (mp3, data, audio, multisession, CD-R and CD-RW), our Memorex burner ejects the CD and a dialog says "Please insert empty medium to write to" - when the CD inserted was in fact a writable CD. We have tried several other CDs, in hopes that the problem was just one or two bad discs, but this does not seem to be the case as the dialog keeps popping up.

The burner is set at 48x and the CD-R's are Philips 48x...I've burned on these CD's before with no problem.

We are using a Memorex 52MAXX 2452AJ burner and Nero Burning Rom 5.5.9.13 with InCD. We are running on WinME (which I plan to upgrade to XP, once I get my burner fixed so I can back up my files!)

Please help, this is a desperate situation and I would very much like to upgrade from this terrible OS soon. I'm thinking maybe the OS is CAUSING this problem...
smashedgirl
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2003 3:25 pm
Location: indiana

Postby dodecahedron on Sun Aug 17, 2003 3:33 pm

update to the latest version of Nero 5.5: 5.5.10.42
from Nero's website: www.nero.com
here it is:
http://www.nero.com/us/631933457317970.html

maybe that will help.

are you sure the CD you put in the drive was in fact an EMPTY CD?
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
User avatar
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon
 
Posts: 6865
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2002 12:04 am
Location: Israel

Postby UALOneKPlus on Sun Aug 17, 2003 3:37 pm

yea, what dodecahedron said...

:wink:

And stay away from CD-RW's. Rewritable CD's have been known to die for no reason whatsoever.

dodecahedron wrote:update to the latest version of Nero 5.5: 5.5.10.42
from Nero's website: www.nero.com
here it is:
http://www.nero.com/us/631933457317970.html

maybe that will help.

are you sure the CD you put in the drive was in fact an EMPTY CD?
"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint you can on it."
-Danny Kaye
User avatar
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1082
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2003 8:28 am

Postby CDRecorder on Sun Aug 17, 2003 3:40 pm

Does this problem happen with only one CD-R disc, or does it happen with several blank discs?
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder
 
Posts: 2335
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 9:28 pm

Postby smashedgirl on Sun Aug 17, 2003 3:46 pm

I've tried with several different CD-R's (all the same brand, however) and the same problem arises. They are all empty (unwritten) CD's, straight from the spindle.

I will try to update, maybe that will help.

**Edit**
updating didn't help...I am thinking more and more that WinME is sabotaging another action. Grr! I hope I'm just having tunnelvision and can't see the real problem.
smashedgirl
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2003 3:25 pm
Location: indiana

Postby UALOneKPlus on Sun Aug 17, 2003 4:15 pm

click "Start>Run", then run msconfig

make sure any conflicting programs are shut down, and disable any unnecessary start up items.

Do Windows Update, then reboot, and try again.

smashedgirl wrote:I've tried with several different CD-R's (all the same brand, however) and the same problem arises. They are all empty (unwritten) CD's, straight from the spindle.

I will try to update, maybe that will help.

**Edit**
updating didn't help...I am thinking more and more that WinME is sabotaging another action. Grr! I hope I'm just having tunnelvision and can't see the real problem.
"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint you can on it."
-Danny Kaye
User avatar
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1082
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2003 8:28 am

Postby smashedgirl on Sun Aug 17, 2003 5:14 pm

UALOneKPlus wrote:click "Start>Run", then run msconfig

make sure any conflicting programs are shut down, and disable any unnecessary start up items.

Do Windows Update, then reboot, and try again.



I have actually tried that, but for good measure, I tried again. It still is not working correctly. *sigh* :(
smashedgirl
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2003 3:25 pm
Location: indiana

Postby CowboySlim on Sun Aug 17, 2003 5:59 pm

Well, sorry to hear that SG,

I've got the same burner here and just tried it with Nero 5.5.10.42 and no issues. Using Windows XP Home, however.

If you have Partition Magic, you can try to make a new partition to move your data to, then do a clean install of XP. Doing an update to XP over ME has led to a nightmare for many people.
Slim
Number of burners bought in 2003: 3
User avatar
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1868
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2003 3:58 pm
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Postby smashedgirl on Sun Aug 17, 2003 6:15 pm

oh lord. normally I love computers, but this one is the spawn of satan. or at least the OS is.

I've never partitioned a drive (though I've thought about it) because I've heard so many bad things about it..but I might try that the second I can afford XP.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, I appreciate it...hopefully something works out soon.
smashedgirl
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2003 3:25 pm
Location: indiana

Postby cfitz on Sun Aug 17, 2003 6:29 pm

You said that all the discs you have tried are the same brand. Are they all from the same package, as well? And when you say that you have burned these CDs successfully in the past, do you mean from this particular package, or from other packages? In other words, is the first time you have tried to burn any CDs from a new package?

If this is your first try burning CDs from a new package, then that package may have a bad batch of CDs. If not, then your drive may have failed. Either way, I suggest trying some different CDs. I would recommend some Fuji CDs with "Made in Japan" on the label. You can get them at Best Buy. Even if you can't get these particular CDs, at least try some other different CDs.

Also, can the drive read pressed CDs and CDs you have burned in the past?

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon
 
Posts: 4572
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2002 10:44 am

Postby smashedgirl on Sun Aug 17, 2003 6:32 pm

I have burned successfully on CD's from this package before.

However, I never thought about it, but I just tried to play both a data cd and an audio cd, and the drive doesn't recognize them (I usually play cd's in the top drive, that came with the computer, so it never occurred to me that there was a problem with the burner). I would assume this is bad and that means there's something wrong with the drive.
smashedgirl
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2003 3:25 pm
Location: indiana

Postby cfitz on Sun Aug 17, 2003 6:40 pm

Yes, if it won't even play pre-recorded discs then there is likely something wrong with the drive.

The first thing I would do is turn off the computer, open up the case, and unplug and reseat the cables that attach to the drive, at both ends of the cables where possible.

If that doesn't change things, then I would swap the positions of the other CD-ROM and the burner (keeping in mind that you may need to adjust the master/slave jumpers if you don't have the devices set to cable-select). I would also try running with just the burner installed (in case there is some interference from another device on the bus).

If that doesn't change things, then I would check to see if the drive is still under warranty and can be repaired or exchanged.

If it isn't under warranty, or it is but you are feeling a little adventurous and don't mind voiding the warranty, I would suggest trying to clean the inside of the drive, in case some dust/dirt has settled on the laser lens assembly. You need to be careful doing this, since it could damage the drive irreparably if you do it badly (assuming it isn't already damaged irreparably).

Here is a post with links to some cleaning instructions (courtesy Inertia):

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic. ... 0949#70949

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon
 
Posts: 4572
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2002 10:44 am

Postby cfitz on Sun Aug 17, 2003 7:10 pm

P.S. It is also always worthwhile, if you can, to test the drive in another computer system. This will further isolate the source of the problem.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon
 
Posts: 4572
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2002 10:44 am

Postby Inertia on Sun Aug 17, 2003 7:17 pm

smashedgirl,

cfitz has given his usual excellent and expert advice. :)

It seems that you have discovered the secret to gathering many responses in a short period of time. All you need is a geek magnet nick like "smashedgirl". :D :wink:
Inertia
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 736
Joined: Sun May 19, 2002 5:22 pm

Postby dodecahedron on Sun Aug 17, 2003 7:29 pm

Inertia wrote:It seems that you have discovered the secret to gathering many responses in a short period of time. All you need is a geek magnet nick like "smashedgirl". :D :wink:

LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: i was thinking the same thing, Inertia! :D
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
User avatar
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon
 
Posts: 6865
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2002 12:04 am
Location: Israel

Postby cfitz on Sun Aug 17, 2003 7:54 pm

dodecahedron wrote:
Inertia wrote:It seems that you have discovered the secret to gathering many responses in a short period of time. All you need is a geek magnet nick like "smashedgirl". :D :wink:

LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: i was thinking the same thing, Inertia! :D

:lol: :D :lol: :D :lol:

I also was thinking that and laughing to myself. In fact, partly to be perverse and partly because I knew there would soon be a flood of people rushing to help, I left this one alone when I first saw it asked (with no responses). But, when the flood of good suggestions failed to resolve the problem, I thought maybe I should offer my little suggestions.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon
 
Posts: 4572
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2002 10:44 am

Postby smashedgirl on Mon Aug 18, 2003 3:20 pm

lol, I'm flattered that my handle is a geek magnet. in the past, the only thing it has attracted are 13 year old AOL users with messages like "do u have a pic??!?!"

I unplugged/replugged the drive to see if that would help, but it apparently didn't and neither did switching the drives positions. Hopefully its still under warranty, and I'm turning this whole mess over to the local Circuit City. Not my problem anymore! (that is, if they accept it as a return). Its funny, we've bought two CD-RW drives from there and both of them have been disagreeable.

Thank you for all of the responses, it was a tremendous help to know that there are people out there who know so much more about this junk than I do.
smashedgirl
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2003 3:25 pm
Location: indiana

Postby cfitz on Mon Aug 18, 2003 3:47 pm

You're welcome. Sorry we couldn't get it resolved for you, and I hope you have good luck with Circuit City. And for what it is worth, neither dodecahedron, UALOneKPlus, CowboySlim, Inertia or I are anywhere near 13 years old. :wink:

cfitz

P.S. How old are you, CDRecorder? I get the impression that you are younger than the crowd listed above, but older than 13 years old.
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon
 
Posts: 4572
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2002 10:44 am

Postby CDRecorder on Mon Aug 18, 2003 4:12 pm

Hi Cfitz,

I don't know how old you guys are, but you're right that I'm probably younger. I don't want to post my exact age, but I am certainly older than 13! :D

P.S. To be honest, I didn't even notice who had asked the question for a while. I replied to this thread because I had a suggestion about what the problem was.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder
 
Posts: 2335
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 9:28 pm

Postby cfitz on Mon Aug 18, 2003 8:36 pm

Okay then, it's unanimous. No 13-year olds replied to smashedgirl's question, and no one asked for her picture. I guess we acquitted ourselves fairly well in comparison to the AOL bunch... :lol:

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon
 
Posts: 4572
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2002 10:44 am

Postby CDRecorder on Mon Aug 18, 2003 9:00 pm

cfitz wrote:Okay then, it's unanimous. No 13-year olds replied to smashedgirl's question, and no one asked for her picture. I guess we acquitted ourselves fairly well in comparison to the AOL bunch... :lol:

cfitz


I think we did! :lol:
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder
 
Posts: 2335
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 9:28 pm

Postby Inertia on Mon Aug 18, 2003 9:28 pm

smashedgirl,

Hey baby, I'm a dirty ol' man. Do u have a pic??!?! Image Image Image

Didn't want to disappoint. Image
Inertia
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 736
Joined: Sun May 19, 2002 5:22 pm

Postby CowboySlim on Mon Aug 18, 2003 11:08 pm

You're welcome. Sorry we couldn't get it resolved for you, and I hope you have good luck with Circuit City. And for what it is worth, neither dodecahedron, UALOneKPlus, CowboySlim, Inertia or I are anywhere near 13 years old.

cfitz

Well, SG, it's obvious I'm not 13 as you look to the upper left. And I didn't want to be the first to mention the lack of your pic, but now that Inertia has broken the ice, put it right under mine. :roll:
Slim
Number of burners bought in 2003: 3
User avatar
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1868
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2003 3:58 pm
Location: Huntington Beach, CA


Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

All Content is Copyright (c) 2001-2017 CDRLabs Inc.