Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Memorex TY

Burn baby burn!

Memorex TY

Postby Fuct on Fri Dec 06, 2002 6:27 pm

The search isn't working at the moment (at least for me), so sorry if this has been mentioned before. I came across one of those Memorex 40x spindles with the "Made in Japan" and the frosty ring, so they are definitely Taiyo Yuden. My question is though, are the Memorex TYs equally as good as the TYs made by Fuji? (concerning errors and longevity) I ask this because I have had pretty bad results with Memorex in the past and I am hesitant to buy em.
Thanks.
Fuct
Buffer Underrun

Postby BuddhaTB on Fri Dec 06, 2002 7:08 pm

Memorex and Fuji CD's made by TY are the same, the only difference is the label on the top. You are basically buying the same product, but with Memorex on the label instead of Fuji.
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Fri Dec 06, 2002 8:23 pm

I have to disagree. While both are made by TY, the Fuji's seem to be from a newer batch. The Memorex ones do not like to write at speeds higher than 40x and with many drives they're limited to 32x. Of course, your discs might be different. Thats my impression from the ones I have.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby BuddhaTB on Fri Dec 06, 2002 10:47 pm

Ian is right about the older 32x Memorex disc made by Taiyo Yuden. I was only able to get them to write at 40x on my TDK 48x drive. However, the newer Memorex 48x media made by Taiyo Yuden is much better and is very similar if not the same to the Fuji 48x CD's.
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives