Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Michael Bay Blames Microsoft For Format War

Blu-ray Disc Writers, BD Combo and BD-ROM Drives

Michael Bay Blames Microsoft For Format War

Postby Ian on Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:17 pm

This isn't the first time I've heard this conspiracy theory, but its interesting to see it come from someone like Bay.

What you don't understand is corporate politics. Microsoft wants both formats to fail so they can be heroes and make the world move to digital downloads. That is the dirty secret no one is talking about. That is why Microsoft is handing out $100 million dollar checks to studios just embrace the HD DVD and not the leading, and superior Blu Ray. They want confusion in the market until they perfect the digital downloads. Time will tell and you will see the truth.

Personally, I don't see digital downloads becoming a reality any time soon. Even with broadband, standard def titles can take a fairly long time to download. I can't imagine downloading a multi-gig high-def title.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Grain on Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:49 pm

Smells fishy to me. I agree with you Ian, not many people have enough bandwidth to download a 30-50GB HD movie!
I can't figure out why fanboys are touting one as superior over the other. Both are flawed in my dual format opinion. If they would have joined camps back in the day and used each others strengths, then there would be a "close" to perfect format out there. HD-DVD's menu system is superior to Blu-Rays, and Blu-Ray's capacity is an advantage ex room to have PCM & TrueHD, even DTS HD audio on the same title.
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Samsung BD-1400, PS3 40GB
Toshiba HD-A2, HD-XA2 & XBox 360 HD DVD
Grain
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:30 pm

Bay isn't the only one talking about digital downloads. I was listening to a Star Wars podcast a few months ago and they were interviewing someone from Lucasarts. When they asked about Star Wars on high-def, they brought up the digital downloads too. You gotta wonder who's telling Hollywood this stuff. For the average consumer, its not a reality yet.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby CowboySlim on Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:03 pm

When it starts out, as that quote does, as: "What you don't understand is....", I start to quit reading.
I don't need some halfwit telling me what I don't understand.
By definition, anyone who starts telling me what I don't understand, is a halfwit. [-X
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Return to Blu-ray Disc Drives