Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Need opinion on which DVD burner to buy

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Postby Justin42 on Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:12 pm

I'm pretty sure the improved error correction on +R discs applies more to a standard that COULD be applied, not that the discs are really any better. Basically, if it's not used by the hardware, it's not any better on the reading side. (and very little hardware implements that portion of the +R standard)

(Sorry to be so vague, it's still sorta early here and coffee hasn't fully kicked in)

I've personally had much, much better luck overall with -R media than +R. (and I only use pretty decent discs of both kinds. I have a few Mitsubishi Verbatim +Rs going bad after a few years, while none of my -Rs have similar problems.. yet.. not to mention -R really is more compatible)

I just got an LG-4163 and tried bitsetting for the first time... it really does help +R compatibility... too bad all those drives played -R fine with no special tricks or special drive required in the first place... ;) [-X I don't think I have any DVD player/drive that won't play -R.. but do have some that won't play +R without bitsetting...
Justin42
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:36 pm

i don't remember the technical reports exaclty, but i don't think +R has better error correction.

now, once DVD+R/W drives actually start supporting Mt. Rainier, like they're supposed to, that's a different story.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby slimeballzz on Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:58 pm

cfitz wrote:
slimeballzz wrote:Yeah that was a place I was referring to. It's about a 10min drive away from me. They are selling at $134 after rebate so I would have to pay $134 + 14% in taxes which would bring a final total to about $153 CDN which is equivalent to about $120 USD.

Oh, I see. Well, then I think the issue is more the premium you have to pay for the Plextor name rather than Canadation versus American prices. Here in America we also have to pay a lot more for Plextor (although there has been a recent price drop).

Have you considered the BenQ 1620? It tends to favor +R a bit more than -R, but it is still a very good drive and highly recommended. Check out the review your fellow countryman dolphinius_rex gave it. And NICX is selling it for $84.33 Canadian, which works out to $77.39 American after including your 14% tax. That it is pretty competitive with what the Benq goes for in American stores and almost a 40% discount off the price of the Plextor.

If your heart is really set on the Plextor, maybe you should wait a few weeks. The price drops on the Plextor in America are very recent (like within the past week), so they might still be making their way to Canada.

cfitz

Yeah I'm set to the Plextor but I highly doubt the price would drop anymore. Right now they are offering the $30 mail in rebate which I'm pretty sure it's the best sale they would give.

Is there any US online stores that carry the 716A that is on sale and will ship to Canada?
Anyone willing to buy me a 716A and ship it to Canada???
Haha long shot but who knows!
slimeballzz
Buffer Underrun

Postby ricksimm on Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:17 am

If you want the Plextor 716A, please note that a new hardware revision (TLA 0304) should be in the states soon, if not already.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=126270&highlight=tla+0304
ricksimm
Buffer Underrun

Postby slimeballzz on Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:34 am

ricksimm wrote:If you want the Plextor 716A, please note that a new hardware revision (TLA 0304) should be in the states soon, if not already.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=126270&highlight=tla+0304

Thanks for pointing that out. I shall wait a bit and see what happens.
slimeballzz
Buffer Underrun

Postby ETP on Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:14 am

Just hope my 716 when it arrives on Mon is not DOA and works great. BUY.COM did a One day ship turn around with 3 business days enroute. That is the fastest service I have had from them in 7 years. I usually use newegg.com/BB, but could not pass a $79 after rebate deal.

BQ 1640 BSOB
NEC 4550 1.6T
Plextor 716a 1.09
Pioneer 109/A09 158
Pioneer 110/A10 1.39
Liteon 5005
Sony 875P & 333ES
Liteon 5005
HK7200
Hitachi 61SDX
Two Dell 8400s & 9100 with SATA HDs
ETP