Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Norton Ghost 2003 - help

Anything else

Norton Ghost 2003 - help

Postby dodecahedron on Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:11 am

first time i every tried using this application.
i want to back up the data of the C drive to an image so i can recover it without reinstalling everything all over again.

but i'm stuped: it appears that i can only make a floppy boot disk.
is there a way to make a bootable CD disk from which Ghost will run in DOS in order to recover a partition from an image?
if there is i couldn't figure it out.

or do i have to upgrade to a newer version ?

TIA
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby smartin4 on Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:24 am

To make the image, ust follow the prompts to make the disk image on a blank CD/DVD. Verifying just makes the image write take longer, not sure if it makes a diffrenec or not. I personally never verify.

I have always recovered using a pc that has 2 optical drives in it. It's been awhile since I have actually had to write an image back to a hdd, but if I remember correctly, you would need to boot off of the actual Ghost cd, which should put you into a recovery-type mode. Once it is finished booting off of that disk, follow the prompts then point at the image file on the cd/dvd that you made.

There are a couple of options when you do the restore, like restore MBR, there is also an option to make the partition bootable or something similar. I usually check both of those off.

Like I said, it's been a while since I've done a recovery, but hopefully I have pointed you in the right direction, and if I was wrong on a few things, I'm sure you can figure out what I meant. :D
smartin4
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:04 am

10-4, smartin,

Dode, you use the Ghost CD as the bootable and it has the restore app on it.

I don't use it any more; I prefer Nero BackItUp (but that's for next time).
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby hoxlund on Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:07 am

back in the day (wednesday) you could actually put the boot image on disk along with the backup image, automate the entire restore process

that was before all the new versions with there new windows gui and boot gui

it would be beneficial to search for an older version

but yes slim is right you can boot off the cd and restore the drive that way

i just wish you could make an image that way, i hate loading the ghost software in windows just to make an image of it
Thermaltake Core X5 Snow Edition TG Case
Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
AMD Threadripper 1950x @ 4.1GHz
Custom Loop w/ EK MSI x399 Monoblock
G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 3200 RGB Memory
MSI 1080Ti Lightning X Video Card
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:56 am

Hox is right.

With Drive Image 2002, you could back two floppies (the 1st being a boot disk) from the CD without installing it.
Then could make an image or restore the image from the floppies, again without installing the app from the CD.
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Re: Norton Ghost 2003 - help

Postby redk9258 on Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:25 pm

dodecahedron wrote:first time i every tried using this application.
i want to back up the data of the C drive to an image so i can recover it without reinstalling everything all over again.

but i'm stuped: it appears that i can only make a floppy boot disk.
is there a way to make a bootable CD disk from which Ghost will run in DOS in order to recover a partition from an image?
if there is i couldn't figure it out.

or do i have to upgrade to a newer version ?

TIA

You can boot from the ghost 2003 CD. When I load from the ghost 2003 CD it does not start automatically, it comes up in A:\. It assigned drive letter C: to the drive I had the CD in. Type "C:\support\ghost.exe" - no quotes. It will ask if it should mark your drives or you not .. it says you shouldn't if you are using this for forensic use.

I just got Ghost 10 (revamped Drive Image) for $10 AMIR and it works great with incremental backups. This also came with Ghost 2003 which is the last version of the original Ghost.

Good Luck.
redk9258
CD-RW Player

Postby Justin42 on Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:55 pm

I still think the old Ghost is more reliable than Drive Image, but that's just me. :) I think there's a reason Symantec sells the old Ghost (updated) for their corporate clients... where reliability is more important than the most "user friendly" product.

Also, I ALWAYS use verify when I use Ghost for backups... it helped me catch a hard drive that was dying, that never showed any signs in Windows-- the verify never worked for whatever reason and it got me digging deeper, running diagnostics, and the drive was getting close to failing. I saved all my data from it thanks to Ghost.. :) (both to get the data, and give me suspicions to dig deeper!)
Justin42
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:32 pm

Dode,

Are you OK?

Slim
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:41 pm

yeah, slim.
thanks! :D

just very busy. i'll get back to this (and other issues) in a few days.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Ghost

Postby texascbx on Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:47 am

I have Ghost 9. I think 10 is similar. Basically, I install Ghost from the CD. Then Ghost runs in the system tray. Anytime I want to make an image backup, I create a folder on my external HD and name it Ghost backup with the date. Then I click the tray icon and make a backup.
I always set it for max compression and verify. It runs in windows so I don't use any programs other than IE while it's backing up.
To restore, I boot of the install CD, which lets me restore whichever image I want to use. The images are browsable in windows and individual files can be copied or restored too. No floppy is involved as this computer has no floppy.
I created a small partition, 50Gb on my main drive just for backups. Since Ghost will only back up a whole drive. I then copy my music collection or documents to the the 50GB partiton and Ghost it. Now all my music and documents are backed up and can be restored from DVD+R.
P-4C 2.4 oc @ 3.1, Abit IS7e
Antec 430 PSU
Maxtor 300 Gig SATA 16MB
2x512 PC-3200 DDR Kingmax
Thermalright XP90, Audigy
Radeon 9800 PRO/Arctic Cooler
BenQ 1640/Liteon SHW-160P6S
texascbx
Buffer Underrun

Return to General Software Questions