Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Pioneer A05 - What do we know - FAQ attempt

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Pioneer A05 - What do we know - FAQ attempt

Postby yellow1 on Thu Dec 05, 2002 10:03 pm

Having just bought a Cendyne 4x, I'm ploughing through the posts and thought a little summary of questions/findings could be helpful for newcomers like me.

1) Installation:
a) It seems the drive only works in PIO mode, whcih might be just as well since Ultra DMA generally led to "communication problems", with the A04.

2) Burning Programs:
a) Nero works but apparently only at 2x?
b) PrassiDVD doesn't recognize the drive
c) others?

3) Media reports:
a) 2x DVD-R - Haven't seen any reports of cheap media available in the US working properly, even the Ritek 2x that work with the A04 FWw 1.31
b) 4x DVD-R - Haven't seen any reports and ther are rumours that discs might not be compatible with DVD drives.

I've certainly missed important things so feel free to correct/add

TIA
yellow1
Buffer Underrun

Postby yellow1 on Sat Dec 07, 2002 12:02 am

no A05 users here?

One thing to add to the list. Seems you can't rip movies (no key found) with DVD Decrypter. Haven't tried others yet.
yellow1
Buffer Underrun

Postby DracUK on Mon Dec 09, 2002 8:40 am

No probs here with latest version of Dvd Decryptor and Pioneer 105.
Ripping lovely.

:D

DracUK
DracUK
Buffer Underrun

Postby yellow1 on Mon Dec 09, 2002 12:23 pm

yep, got that fixed too. I'd never played a DVD and that was apparently needed to selet the region.

Still curious about feedback on media!
yellow1
Buffer Underrun

Postby boblx2 on Mon Dec 09, 2002 12:41 pm

I have the Sony DRU-500A and the A05. The Sony works with almost any media + or -. The A05 hardly works with anything. I have thought about returning the A05 but I had such great service from my A04's that I keep hoping for a firmware upgrade from Pioneer such as we had already for the Sony. I can't believe Pioneer will let the A05 just flounder. I have found one reliable disc for the A05 and that was a blue Princo -R/W disc. Most others failed. I have a box full of coasters to prove it. :(

In any case they were both bought for their 4X features which will not be realized for quite some time I think. By the time the media is released and gets down to a price I can afford they will probably both have several firmware upgrades. Somewhere on this forum there is a list of the media that works with the Sony, not sure about the A05 though.
Have fun.........Bob
boblx2
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers