Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Pioneer A07 problem

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Pioneer A07 problem

Postby hydrogen on Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:46 pm

Does anyone here have a Pioneeer A07 or a Pioneer 107d? If so, when you read a burnt dvd, does it make 3 or 4 wierd noises when doing a transfer test with cdspeed? You would have to be close to the drive to hear it. It sounds like it's either spinning up or down during the test. It may sound like it's struggling. It does it on all dvd burnt media. It even happens with my Taiyo Yuden 8x dvd-r, that I get good scans with.

Then, there is a loud noise before I burn a cd. Is that normal? I don't get any weird noise before I burn a dvd.

I did a transfer rate test with a pressed cd that was almost full. When it got to the 40x mark, it started sounding bad. It made a loud high pitch noise. It sounded like a cricket.

If I burn a data cd, the verification test, in nero, will pass. If I burn an audio cd and try to verify it, in nero, it will fail. Is this normal for a Pioneer A07 drive?

I have no idea if this has always happened or if it started when I updated to the 1.18 firmware. I didn't use it much for reading, so I can't remember.

Hopefully someone can help. I haven't even really used the drive much, so if it's going bad, then that's pretty shocking, unless it was bad out of the box, and I didn't know it.
hydrogen
CD-RW Player

Postby falberni on Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:59 pm

In CD Speed tests, when the transfer part of the test is complete, amongst other things, it runs a CPU usage test at different speeds of 1, 2, 3, and 4X. The sound level and the pitch of the sound varies with speed.

The same is true for making louder sounds when using CDs. CD burn speeds are much higher than DVD burn speeds.
falberni
Buffer Underrun

Postby hydrogen on Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:38 pm

It happens during the transfer test. It's not during the seek test. It happens during a scandisc in cdspeed also.

The noise when burning cds, only happens right at first before it starts burning. It doesn't happen during the burn at all.
hydrogen
CD-RW Player

Postby hydrogen on Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:06 am

So, does no one else have a Pioner 107d or Pioneer A07?

I decided to rma it since it's still in warranty. I couldn't ever figure out if the noises were normal or not.
hydrogen
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers