Home News Reviews Forums Shop


Pioneer Japan Acknowledges Trouble With DVR-A12 Series

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Pioneer Japan Acknowledges Trouble With DVR-A12 Series

Postby Ian on Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:41 am

Pioneer Japan has finally issued a statement about the problems people have been having with their latest series of drives. Essentially, if your drive was manufactured before March, they'll repair it for you.

http://pioneer.jp/oshirase/dvr-a12/
http://www.st-trade.co.jp/info/DVR-A12J/index.html

This seems to only cover the DVR-A12 series. Nothing is said about the OEM (DVR-112) or SATA (DVR-212) versions of the drive.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
User avatar
Ian
Grand Poobah
 
Posts: 14882
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2001 2:34 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Postby Ian on Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:43 am

Two of Pioneer Japan's OEM customers have issued statements as well:

Logitec - http://www.logitec.co.jp/cgi-bin/qa/qa.cgi?id=0881

Buffalo - http://buffalo.jp/support_s/20070828.html
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
User avatar
Ian
Grand Poobah
 
Posts: 14882
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2001 2:34 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Postby Ian on Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:58 am

Pioneer USA also has an announcement on their website. It doesn't mention anything about manufacturing dates but at least its a reference for those that are having trouble with their drives.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v ... 29,00.html

Pioneer is aware of a potential issue with the above drives’ CD (not DVD) read/write capability. Under certain environmental and heavy use conditions, the above drives may become unable to read or write to CDs. To address this issue, for any of the above model drives that become unable to read and/or write to CDs, Pioneer will provide a replacement unit (which may be a newer model number) at no extra charge, shipping prepaid, subject to the terms and conditions of Pioneer’s standard limited warranty(excluding duration).

Again, we anticipate that most drives will not be affected. However, if your DVR-1810, DVR-2810, DVR-X122, DVR-112D, DVR-112DBK, or DVR-112DSV drive becomes unable to read or write to CDs, please contact Pioneer Customer Service by one of the following methods:
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
User avatar
Ian
Grand Poobah
 
Posts: 14882
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2001 2:34 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Postby SithTracy on Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:33 pm

Brad-Pioneer at CDFreaks is a rep from Australia Pioneer... He confirmed issued with the x12 series drives manufactured before March of 2007. People with issues may want to search for his comments in the Pioneer CD-DVD Forum at CDFreaks.com. I've got two DVR-212D's from MFG date March 2007 and both work great. I did have to RMA the one I got from MFG date December 2006 because it could not burn CD-R's.
User avatar
SithTracy
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 600
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:18 pm
Location: S.E. WI, U.S.A.

Postby apvm on Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:25 pm

I've contacted Pioneer Canada but I have to pay for the shipping to them so I think I'll bring it to the shop that I bought it from and let them handle it.
apvm
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:10 am

Postby LoneWolf on Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:39 pm

Ian wrote:Pioneer USA also has an announcement on their website. It doesn't mention anything about manufacturing dates but at least its a reference for those that are having trouble with their drives.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v ... 29,00.html

Pioneer is aware of a potential issue with the above drives’ CD (not DVD) read/write capability. Under certain environmental and heavy use conditions, the above drives may become unable to read or write to CDs. To address this issue, for any of the above model drives that become unable to read and/or write to CDs, Pioneer will provide a replacement unit (which may be a newer model number) at no extra charge, shipping prepaid, subject to the terms and conditions of Pioneer’s standard limited warranty(excluding duration).

Again, we anticipate that most drives will not be affected. However, if your DVR-1810, DVR-2810, DVR-X122, DVR-112D, DVR-112DBK, or DVR-112DSV drive becomes unable to read or write to CDs, please contact Pioneer Customer Service by one of the following methods:

Interesting that Pioneer doesn't mention the DVR-212D here either. :-?
Intel Q9450 @3.2GHz, Gigabyte GA EP45-UD3P, 4 x 2GB G.Skill @4-4-4-12
Antec P160SW case (modded), Xigmatek 750w PSU
3x 500GB (RAID-5), , OptiArc 7200S, ASUS E818A3T
Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer, Hauppauge HVR-1800, Radeon 4890
Dell 2407WFP
User avatar
LoneWolf
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 937
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2003 4:41 pm
Location: Meecheegan

Postby Ian on Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:37 pm

LoneWolf wrote:Interesting that Pioneer doesn't mention the DVR-212D here either. :-?


Yeah, I know. I swear I've read of people having problems with the 212 series. Sith?
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
User avatar
Ian
Grand Poobah
 
Posts: 14882
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2001 2:34 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Postby SithTracy on Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:56 pm

Yep... I had issues with my first DVR-212D... It had a MFG date of Dec 2006. Brad-Pioneer said they had heard of issues but they were not as widespread as the 112/IDE drives... Probably because they sold or made fewer SATA drives... No idea for sure. I am happy with it today... I have two of them now... but the Samsung SH-203B is better overall. :D
User avatar
SithTracy
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 600
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:18 pm
Location: S.E. WI, U.S.A.

Postby Scour on Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:53 pm

Only the older versions of 112/212 have probs or also the newer ones?
Benq DW 1640, LG GH-20N, Pioneer BDR-208
Crucial M4, Sandisk SSD, Plextor M5S, Sandisk Ultra Plus, OCZ Petrol 256GB

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1909
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2001 8:00 pm
Location: Germany

Postby SithTracy on Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:16 pm

Scour wrote:Only the older versions of 112/212 have probs or also the newer ones?
My understanding is it has all been corrected since the March 2007 drive batch.
User avatar
SithTracy
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 600
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:18 pm
Location: S.E. WI, U.S.A.

Postby Scour on Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:27 pm

Sounds good :)
Benq DW 1640, LG GH-20N, Pioneer BDR-208
Crucial M4, Sandisk SSD, Plextor M5S, Sandisk Ultra Plus, OCZ Petrol 256GB

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1909
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2001 8:00 pm
Location: Germany

Postby LoneWolf on Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:38 pm

Mine were both January of 2007. They worked fine until I went from an nForce4 to an Intel 975X mainboard; apparently they don't work with with an AHCI-enabled SATA interface.

I put my pair of DVR-212D's on Craigslist today; they were sold by the time I got home.
Intel Q9450 @3.2GHz, Gigabyte GA EP45-UD3P, 4 x 2GB G.Skill @4-4-4-12
Antec P160SW case (modded), Xigmatek 750w PSU
3x 500GB (RAID-5), , OptiArc 7200S, ASUS E818A3T
Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer, Hauppauge HVR-1800, Radeon 4890
Dell 2407WFP
User avatar
LoneWolf
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 937
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2003 4:41 pm
Location: Meecheegan

Postby SithTracy on Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:21 pm

LoneWolf wrote:apparently they don't work with with an AHCI-enabled SATA interface.
My drive works with AHCI on my Asus P5B Deluxe WiFiAP board (bios 1216, Intel P965 chipset) with the latest Intel Matrix Storage Manager drivers (7.6.0.1011).... and believe it or not, I put the drive in a Galaxy Metal Gear eSATA/USB enclosure (5202AUAS) and it works off my Jmicron SATA controller (set as AHCI in the BIOS)!!! Didn't keep it there long, just wanted to try it out though. Replaced it with my LG GSA-H62N until I get my third Samsung SH-S203B... and when Golden Hawk CDRWIN supports the Sammy [-o< .

I know you have been having trouble with AHCI for sometime.... Perhaps you need Intel to provide a BIOS update.
User avatar
SithTracy
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 600
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:18 pm
Location: S.E. WI, U.S.A.

Postby LoneWolf on Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:28 am

SithTracy wrote:
LoneWolf wrote:apparently they don't work with with an AHCI-enabled SATA interface.
My drive works with AHCI on my Asus P5B Deluxe WiFiAP board (bios 1216, Intel P965 chipset) with the latest Intel Matrix Storage Manager drivers (7.6.0.1011).... and believe it or not, I put the drive in a Galaxy Metal Gear eSATA/USB enclosure (5202AUAS) and it works off my Jmicron SATA controller (set as AHCI in the BIOS)!!! Didn't keep it there long, just wanted to try it out though. Replaced it with my LG GSA-H62N until I get my third Samsung SH-S203B... and when Golden Hawk CDRWIN supports the Sammy [-o< .

I know you have been having trouble with AHCI for sometime.... Perhaps you need Intel to provide a BIOS update.

Intel provided one (not specifically at my request, they just did an update during August) and did release updated Matrix drivers, but by that time I was kind of fed up. Their tech. support told me that the drives themselves must be incompatible with the board (which I do not believe), but then even after telling me they had tested many SATA drives, wouldn't tell me which drives they had tested for compatibility. That was part of the problem --the inability to overburn CD's with the Pioneer drives was my second issue. Going back to a not-new-but-very-reliable NEC 3550A has solved my issues, and the two SATA ports I opened up will probably serve for additional hard disks down the road.

I'll wait until my next mainboard upgrade to look at SATA burners again.
Intel Q9450 @3.2GHz, Gigabyte GA EP45-UD3P, 4 x 2GB G.Skill @4-4-4-12
Antec P160SW case (modded), Xigmatek 750w PSU
3x 500GB (RAID-5), , OptiArc 7200S, ASUS E818A3T
Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer, Hauppauge HVR-1800, Radeon 4890
Dell 2407WFP
User avatar
LoneWolf
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 937
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2003 4:41 pm
Location: Meecheegan

Postby Bhairav on Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:06 pm

Still having issues with my 212D.. reads fine, but no writes going through.
Any idea how to disable AHCI in a DFI Expert 939 motherboard BIOS?
Q6600@3.1Ghz | Asus P5Q-E | 4GB DDR2-800 | 8800GT | 4TB HDD | Viewsonic vx2025wm
Xonar DX | Pioneer DVR-212 | Pioneer 111L | Benq 1655
User avatar
Bhairav
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2002 5:44 am
Location: Bombay,India

Postby SithTracy on Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:40 pm

Bhairav wrote:Any idea how to disable AHCI in a DFI Expert 939 motherboard BIOS?

nForce4 does not have AHCI... I have one of my Pioneer DVR-212D running fine on an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe... Does your board also have Silicon Image 3114? Some people are using SATA ODD drives on there with SiI's IDE drivers. I have not tried it. I am using the latest nVidia (including IDE) drivers on my board.
User avatar
SithTracy
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 600
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:18 pm
Location: S.E. WI, U.S.A.

Postby LoneWolf on Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:41 am

Bhairav wrote:Still having issues with my 212D.. reads fine, but no writes going through.
Any idea how to disable AHCI in a DFI Expert 939 motherboard BIOS?

As Sith said, no AHCI on the nForce4.

My DVR-212D's worked great on my nForce4 Ultra board (MSI K8N Neo 4 Platinum non-SLI) for both reading and writing. I had them on ports 3/4 of the nForce4 controller, not my secondary Silicon Image 3114.
Intel Q9450 @3.2GHz, Gigabyte GA EP45-UD3P, 4 x 2GB G.Skill @4-4-4-12
Antec P160SW case (modded), Xigmatek 750w PSU
3x 500GB (RAID-5), , OptiArc 7200S, ASUS E818A3T
Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer, Hauppauge HVR-1800, Radeon 4890
Dell 2407WFP
User avatar
LoneWolf
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 937
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2003 4:41 pm
Location: Meecheegan

Postby Bhairav on Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:03 am

SithTracy wrote:
Bhairav wrote:Any idea how to disable AHCI in a DFI Expert 939 motherboard BIOS?

nForce4 does not have AHCI... I have one of my Pioneer DVR-212D running fine on an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe... Does your board also have Silicon Image 3114? Some people are using SATA ODD drives on there with SiI's IDE drivers. I have not tried it. I am using the latest nVidia (including IDE) drivers on my board.


Yep, it has a SIIL 3114 as well.
Oh well, will try that as well. Thanks for the help.
Q6600@3.1Ghz | Asus P5Q-E | 4GB DDR2-800 | 8800GT | 4TB HDD | Viewsonic vx2025wm
Xonar DX | Pioneer DVR-212 | Pioneer 111L | Benq 1655
User avatar
Bhairav
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2002 5:44 am
Location: Bombay,India


Return to DVD Writers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

All Content is Copyright (c) 2001-2017 CDRLabs Inc.