Home News Reviews Forums Shop


Point taken off on Spanish Quiz for using wrong term

What was that?

Point taken off on Spanish Quiz for using wrong term

Postby aviationwiz on Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:15 pm

Damn it, I just got back my spanish quiz, and I got a point taken off for this:

we had to say what "la futbolista" is in english. I said football player, because that's what it is. I say "football player" since this is spanish class, I thought that we should be using European, not American terms. It was soccer player, but of course, a football player is a soccer player in this backward nation of ours (America) So that's my story of how I got 13/15 on a quiz instead of 14/15, and I'm pissed :(
User avatar
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)
 
Posts: 4069
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2002 2:55 am
Location: Home of the Red Tail

Postby sapiens74 on Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:42 pm

Lol

They should have counted that. You may want to challenge that.
sapiens74
CD-RW Thug
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:48 pm

Postby sapiens74 on Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:49 pm

Hey bro,

Would you please keep your politics out of your SIG?

My wife is in the Army, my best friend is in Iraq, and I have family members there as well.

If you want to show John Kerry in your avatar be my guest, but we don't statitics of dead soldiers you are using to push your agenda
sapiens74
CD-RW Thug
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:48 pm

Postby aviationwiz on Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:38 pm

I did challenge it, they said since we are in America, they can't count it. Ah well, it's only 1 point.

As per my sig, I am not using that to push my agenda, and it has absolutely nothing to do with Sen. Kerry, my avatar is for showing support for Sen. Kerry, I am leaving my sig to post facts about President Bush's term in office.
User avatar
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)
 
Posts: 4069
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2002 2:55 am
Location: Home of the Red Tail

Postby sapiens74 on Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:42 pm

yhpm

i asked you to remove it, cause it is in poor taste
sapiens74
CD-RW Thug
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:48 pm

Postby TheWizard on Sat Apr 17, 2004 4:15 am

Regarding the Spanish quiz, I'd say both sides have a point. You can say football player when you actually mean soccer player, but chances are when your teacher first read the quiz, she associated your answer with what she knows as a football player; that being an American football player. Football player could also mean Canadian football player, Australian football player, etc. If your teacher was Australian, he/she may have associated your answer with Aussie Rules Football. This just proves my point, English is a very difficult language to learn because it has so many words with multiple meanings.

In correlation to your football/soccer - British English/American English incident, should American students be allowed to spell words like humour with the extra 'u'? How about the word specialization? Should American students be allowed to spell it the British English way: specialisation? If it were me, I would accept both spellings. It's all English to me, I guess it just depends which dictionary you look in.
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 2074
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 6:56 pm

Postby sapiens74 on Sat Apr 17, 2004 4:41 am

Its hard to translate sometimes because some words, though literally translated correctly do not have the same meaning within thier context

The teacher however is wrong to have counted that against him.


I say things in spanish all the time that may be techincally correct but don't sound right to a person who's native language is Spanish
sapiens74
CD-RW Thug
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:48 pm

Postby aviationwiz on Sat Apr 17, 2004 3:02 pm

Wizard,

In all of my english papers and essays I spell colour with the u. Never had it count against me. Ah well, 13/15 is still 86%, a B, but 14/15 would have been 93%, an A-.
User avatar
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)
 
Posts: 4069
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2002 2:55 am
Location: Home of the Red Tail

Postby jmbrown12 on Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:27 pm

aviationwiz wrote:As per my sig, I am not using that to push my agenda, and it has absolutely nothing to do with Sen. Kerry, my avatar is for showing support for Sen. Kerry, I am leaving my sig to post facts about President Bush's term in office.


Fact? It is only part of Mr. Bush's statement: "We spent a lot of time talking about Africa, as we should. Africa is a nation that suffers from incredible disease, and it suffers from poverty, as well. And my way of thinking is the only way for Africa to grow and to develop, and to provide hope and opportunity for its citizens is for there to be trade between the United States and Africa, between the EU and Africa."

This statement was in reference to Swedish Prime Minister Persson's statement: "The third thing was about HIV/AIDS. There is a terrible threat for many millions, not least in Africa. A generation can be swept away, children without parents and children born with HIV. It's a tremendous threat, and something we just can't neglect. We have to take our part of the responsibility. The American President proposed a fund together with the U.N., and we discussed also how the European Union could support in that work. That was the third thing we discussed."
jmbrown12
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2002 2:41 pm
Location: Colorado

Postby aviationwiz on Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:23 pm

jmbrown12,

You do know that Africa is a CONTINENT, not a NATION.

As per the whole fact thing, my last sig was a fact about the Bush admin. but it isn't now...
User avatar
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)
 
Posts: 4069
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2002 2:55 am
Location: Home of the Red Tail

Postby jmbrown12 on Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:21 am

aviationwiz wrote:jmbrown12,

You do know that Africa is a CONTINENT, not a NATION.

As per the whole fact thing, my last sig was a fact about the Bush admin. but it isn't now...


I must have missed your original signature. Yes, I know that Africa is a continent. I also know that "African Nation" can mean "countries occupying the African continent". Getting back to your original post, I also think you got a raw deal on the Spanish quiz.
jmbrown12
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2002 2:41 pm
Location: Colorado

Postby dodecahedron on Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:43 am

jmbrown12 wrote:Getting back to your original post, I also think you got a raw deal on the Spanish quiz.

me too.

americans, don't know what football is.

where the f*ck did the word "soccer" come from?
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
User avatar
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon
 
Posts: 6865
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2002 12:04 am
Location: Israel

Postby dodecahedron on Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:45 am

also the Africa is a continent/nation - this is more of a Dan Quayle kind of mistake.

where's the beef ?
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
User avatar
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon
 
Posts: 6865
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2002 12:04 am
Location: Israel

Postby jase on Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:29 pm

dodecahedron wrote:
jmbrown12 wrote:Getting back to your original post, I also think you got a raw deal on the Spanish quiz.

me too.

americans, don't know what football is.

where the f*ck did the word "soccer" come from?


Soccer = Association Football

Your teacher was absolutely incorrect to mark this incorrectly. Soccer is a form of Football, due to the definition above. In any case, as you say, "futbol" means "football" in Spanish, and I am fairly sure that in Spain they refer to US/Australian etc football as "futbol" as well (since I have seen American Football on Spanish TV referred to as such), therefore you are correct and they are wrong.

In any case, isn't this a bit like getting a maths question wrong due to a spelling mistake? Totally wrong IMHO.
jase
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 965
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2001 8:00 pm

Postby aviationwiz on Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:12 pm

American football in spanish is "el futbol de Americano"

Or, if you prefer computer translations "Footbal Americano"

So, as you can see, my Spanish is pretty good :)

My rants tend to have the longest life-span of any rants on the board!
User avatar
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)
 
Posts: 4069
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2002 2:55 am
Location: Home of the Red Tail

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:35 pm

jase wrote:In any case, isn't this a bit like getting a maths question wrong due to a spelling mistake? Totally wrong IMHO.

well, that depends on what kind of spelling mistake you make, doesn't it?

like, you write y instead of x. critical error!

or, you misspell "thirty four" as "three hunder and fifty seven" :lol:
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
User avatar
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon
 
Posts: 6865
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2002 12:04 am
Location: Israel

Postby XXXXX on Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:54 pm

TheWizard wrote:Regarding the Spanish quiz, I'd say both sides have a point. You can say football player when you actually mean soccer player, but chances are when your teacher first read the quiz, she associated your answer with what she knows as a football player; that being an American football player. Football player could also mean Canadian football player, Australian football player, etc. If your teacher was Australian, he/she may have associated your answer with Aussie Rules Football. This just proves my point, English is a very difficult language to learn because it has so many words with multiple meanings.

In correlation to your football/soccer - British English/American English incident, should American students be allowed to spell words like humour with the extra 'u'? How about the word specialization? Should American students be allowed to spell it the British English way: specialisation? If it were me, I would accept both spellings. It's all English to me, I guess it just depends which dictionary you look in.


I often wonder why the USA which was founded by British subjects ended up changing some of these spellings. We kept the illogical Imperial Measure system, why not the few instances of adding a "u" and "s" instead of "z" ????
Kerry is the most liberal US Senator in Washington, who has more of a sourpuss disposition than Lieberman.

He sucks the way he flips and then flops...which is why he will be defeated!

Where do they get these guys?
User avatar
XXXXX
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri May 28, 2004 11:03 am

Postby TheWizard on Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:10 am

XXXXX wrote:I often wonder why the USA which was founded by British subjects ended up changing some of these spellings. We kept the illogical Imperial Measure system, why not the few instances of adding a "u" and "s" instead of "z" ????


You're preaching to the choir, my friend. :) To me, it doesn't matter if you keep the "u" or leave the "s" instead of a "z". Getting back to this topic, sort of, I don't think any teacher teaching at an American school should penalize a student for spelling humour (or any similar word) with the "u".
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 2074
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 6:56 pm


Return to Rants n' Raves

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

All Content is Copyright (c) 2001-2020 CDRLabs Inc.