Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Poll - Would You Buy An HD VMD Player?

Blu-ray Disc Writers, BD Combo and BD-ROM Drives

Would You Buy An HD VMD Player?

Hell yes! Down with Blu-ray and HD DVD!
8%
Yes, if there were enough movie titles available.
17%
Maybe, I gotta wait and see.
25%
No.
50%

Total votes : 12

Poll - Would You Buy An HD VMD Player?

Postby Ian on Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:26 am

New Medium Enterprises will be releasing their HD VMD player in November for $175. The simple question is, would you buy one?

Here's some info on VMD:

http://www.nmeinc.com/technology.htm

The VMD platform is meant for 1920X1080i/p High Definition up to 40 Mbps bit rate playback using its 20 GB-40 GB Red Laser optical discs - the players & burners stand alone and computer embedded, inherently backward compatible with DVD and CD.

Versatile Multilayer Disc – VMD, is all set to become the latest video disc standard - the format of choice for high-definition video content, by providing increased storage capacity per disc. In order to play a full length motion picture in HD, the minimum storage requirement lies around 20 GB, whereas the latest DVD9 can only contain 8.5 GB. VMD is the much awaited breakthrough and compelling solution for cost effective High-Definition pre-recorded discs and players.

VMD is precisely the same size and thickness as DVD. While DVD technology utilizes two layers of a disc, VMD technology has conceived multi-layering, whereby the storage capacity is dramatically increased. Each additional layer adds approximately up to 5 GB of memory over a standard DVD disc. VMD provides the ability to place up to 20 layers on a single disc with no quality loss in the content stored. This means capacity to record 100 GB or more.
Last edited by Ian on Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:25 pm

At only $175 I upgraded my opinion from "hell no" to "maybe".
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:29 pm

I've been following the format for the last few years, hoping it would come to the US. I think the biggest problem is content. I really don't see movie studios releasing major titles in the format.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:10 pm

Ian wrote:I've been following the format for the last few years, hoping it would come to the US. I think the biggest problem is content. I really don't see movie studios releasing major titles in the format.

Yup, I agree... the big movie studios won't touch it.

HOWEVER, all people REALLY need is HiDef rips of movies, and then a VMD burner and appropriate media.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:42 pm

VMD -recordables. Hmm I would have huge doubt knowing who is developping the technology. :roll:
Trying to make something "foolproof" only forces nature to make a better fool.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:53 pm

RJW wrote:VMD -recordables. Hmm I would have huge doubt knowing who is developping the technology. :roll:

if so, then forget about it!
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:03 pm

Yeah, I'm thinking my vote already.... I had forgotten it was mostly Ritek and Prodisc behind this technology.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby MonsterMan on Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:40 pm

If I could get a 40GB/disc recorder for $175, then hell yeah!

Otherwise, no way.

I want a Blu Ray drive...but only for the 50GB/disc it offers. I could care less about movies (hell, I don't even have a TV).
BenQ 1655, BenQ 1620, LG 4167, Plex PX-716SA, Samsung SH-S162L, SH-S182M, Pioneer 111D, Lite-On SHM-165H6S and 1.9TB of HDDs to feed 'em and an X2/4800 to crunch for 'em.
MonsterMan
CD-RW Player

Postby Henri Tapani Heinonen on Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:44 pm

Of course I would buy. See, for example, my petition http://www.petitiononline.com/combo/. I want to have a combo drive that reads and writes all the possible formats! =D>
Henri Tapani Heinonen
Buffer Underrun

Return to Blu-ray Disc Drives