Home News Reviews Forums Shop

DVD X Copy?

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

DVD X Copy?

Postby Asrale on Sun Feb 22, 2004 5:19 am

Just saw the news on the main page that 321 Studios lost its case. Now I don't own a DVD recorder yet (still too expensive for my tastes and I'd like to get at least an 8X multi-format writer for less than $100, whenever that time comes), but I'm thinking ahead here so bear with me.

Should I go ahead and buy a copy of DVD X Copy anyway, before it gets pulled off shelves? Is it a quality product, or are there other good (online) alternatives I can look to when I have a DVD writer?
Asrale
Buffer Underrun

Postby NoSmartz on Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:51 am

It's good that 321 studios fought the good fight for backin' up movie rights but that app is junk.It works but there is free stuff that works better.
Go here for Dvd Shrink.
For burnin' use Nero 6.There is an app that burns dvd files that's free but I can't think of it.I just read about it a couple of days ago.Man I'm gettin' old.
Actually,here it is. Burnatonce

E
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
Soren Kierkegaard
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Sun Feb 22, 2004 5:56 pm

you can rest assure that they'll go after other software too, and free software as well. DvdXCopy was just a start.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby BMR on Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:53 pm

dodecahedron wrote:you can rest assure that they'll go after other software too, and free software as well. DvdXCopy was just a start.

The good part however, is that we already have quality freeware like dvdshink 3.1 that will work with all dvd's made up to at least next year.

Ignor DVDXcopy, it is expensive and can be replaced with other software.

BMR
This guy's name is "Snoopy". He keeps me company while I am online.
BMR
CD-RW Player

Re: DVD X Copy?

Postby flash on Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:16 pm

Asrale wrote:Now I don't own a DVD recorder yet (still too expensive for my tastes and I'd like to get at least an 8X multi-format writer for less than $100, whenever that time comes)

If you like here is a link for the NEC 2500A for $102.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-152-011&catalog=5&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=0
or
here is a link for the new Pioneer 107D for $138
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-129-138&catalog=5&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=0

Hope this helps your purchasing decision.
AMD64 3800+, 1 Gig Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9000 PRO 128 MB
120GB WD SE 7200RPM, NEC 3550AG, Toshiba M1802 16X DVD etc, etc...
flash
CD-RW Player

Postby CAG on Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:46 am

BMR wrote:Ignor DVDXcopy, it is expensive and can be replaced with other software.

What other software?...I just got a Plextor DVD burner and I'd like to know.

Thanks,

CAG
CAG
Buffer Underrun

Postby NoSmartz on Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:12 am

Soren Kierkegaard
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby CAG on Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:13 pm

NoSmartz wrote:Dvd Shrink

E

Thanks...much appreciated.

CAG
CAG
Buffer Underrun

Postby Albo on Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:36 pm

There is a plethora of stuff out there to use that is infinitely better than DVDXCOPY. I hate that disclaimer screen that it forces into the copy...it doesn't even allow you to make a copy of the copy (with DVDXCOPY at least... :lol: ). I've been using the latest DvDShrink for the last few days with Nero 6. The latest release of this app actually interfaces with Nero to add burning functionality. It does a decent job of removing copy protection. It's especially good when you consider that it is free.

I also use DvDDecryptor as my ISO creation utility (Best used with DVD5 discs). This app also has burning functionality, but only in ISO mode. It is also free like DVDShrink so you can download both from the web and play around. It's strongest point is it's ability to stripp copy protection.

One shareware app that I highly recommend is CLONEDVD. It was origianlly created by the makers of CLONECD..."elby", but due to changes in German copyright laws, they sold these concerns to a another company (Somewhere in South America I believe). It doesn't strip copy protection, but when used with a background copy protection buster (such as ANYDVD) it works great.

You can download all of these apps and get a great expanse of information from DVDRHELP.com and their wonderful forums.

Albo
AMD AthlonXP1800+(OC'd to 2000+)/Soyo K7V Dragon Plus!/512mb Samsung PC2100 DDR/(2) Maxtor 60GB 7200rpm HDD striped w/ onboard IDE Raid/Sony DRU-500A(replaced w/ TDK 840G)/Pioneer DVD-105/Radeon 7500 (64mb)..and a S.S. Directron case.
Albo
Buffer Underrun

Postby CAG on Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:10 pm

Thanks, Albo.

I have a question (I'm new at this):

-I have a home theater system. Except for the speakers, all of the components are Sony (TV Monitor, VHS player, CD/DVD player, receiver/amplifier). I know that when I burn an audio CD on my PC, the copy won't play on my Sony CD/DVD player. I assume this has to do with some sort of copyright protection encryption sensing that is built into the player. If I burn a movie using DVDShrink, will I be able to play the copy on my Sony?

Thanks,

CAG
CAG
Buffer Underrun

Postby NoSmartz on Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:33 pm

Surprise that sony doesn't play that audio cd.The Dvd player should play + - media with no problem.When you burn with dvd shrink or any other app that takes away copy protection the dvd player shouldn't have any problem.

E
Soren Kierkegaard
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:48 pm

CAG wrote:I know that when I burn an audio CD on my PC, the copy won't play on my Sony CD/DVD player. I assume this has to do with some sort of copyright protection encryption sensing that is built into the player.

not necessarily.
i don't think it's a copyright protection system.
some older DVD players won't play CDRs.

[i don't know if this was to "battle" piracy (prevent people playing their CDRs), but if that's the case we all know that was a major failuer. all newer DVD players support CDRs, MP3 , DVD+/- R etc. etc.]

some old players, even though they don't play CDRs, do play CDRWs. you can try burning an Audio CDRW and see if it plays on your DVD player.

my Sony DVP-S725D DVD player won't play CDRs. however it does play DVD-R. maybe +R too, i don't know i didn't check. as a matter of fact i was quite shocked when i put a DVD-R into it, i was sure it would'nt play!
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby LoneWolf on Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:56 pm

NoSmartz has the right idea (which makes me wonder why he chose his nick :wink: ). DVD Shrink beats XCopy any day, as do a number of other free tools.
Intel Q9450 @3.2GHz, Gigabyte GA EP45-UD3P, 4 x 2GB G.Skill @4-4-4-12
Antec P160SW case (modded), Xigmatek 750w PSU
3x 500GB (RAID-5), , OptiArc 7200S, ASUS E818A3T
Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer, Hauppauge HVR-1800, Radeon 4890
Dell 2407WFP
LoneWolf
CD-RW Player

Postby CAG on Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:31 pm

dodecahedron wrote:some old players, even though they don't play CDRs, do play CDRWs. you can try burning an Audio CDRW and see if it plays on your DVD player.

my Sony DVP-S725D DVD player won't play CDRs. however it does play DVD-R. maybe +R too, i don't know i didn't check. as a matter of fact i was quite shocked when i put a DVD-R into it, i was sure it would'nt play!

I think you're right about the CDR's on the older Sony's (mine is ~5 yrs old). I have a vague recollection now of either reading or hearing that this was some form of copy protection scheme by Sony. Anyway, I'll burn with a CDRW tonight and test it...thanks.

As an aside, I just want to say what a great forum this is. About 2 weeks ago, I started a thread in the "hot deals" section about the new Plextor PX-708A I was ordering and got a ton of helpful suggestions. I got the Plextor and, earlier this week, I started a thread in the Adaptec/Roxio forum about upgrading the bundled Roxio software to EMC 7 and got some more helpful responses (all telling me to go with Nero 6 Ultra). Today, I posted in this forum after I read about the 123 Studios court decision b/c I wanted to know more about burning movie DVD's...again more help from you all. I suppose I'll have to get Nero...

Thanks again

CAG
CAG
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:53 pm

check out this site: www.dvdrhelp.com
in particular look here: http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers

find your DVD player, you'll see what formats it supports, if it reads CDR, CDRW, DVD+/-R/W etc. etc.
if you have a 5 year old Sony, i'm pretty sure it won't read CDRs.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Albo on Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:37 pm

Also....keep in mind that if you are having problems with your Sony Dvd/Cd player not playing CDR's it might also be finicky (I wonder if I'm spelling that correctly) with DVD-+R/RW's. I have a standalone Sony (I too got sucked into buying mostly Sony gear) player in my livingroom that works fine reading DVD-R's but my older Sony (3-4 years old) dvd player in my bedroom is very picky. As Dodecahedron said, go checkout the players section on www.dvdrhelp.com there is a lot of great info there.....who knows you may be able to hack (patch firmware) you rplayer for better compatabilty.

You might want to consider purchasing a newer player...Sony sells a nice one for under $100 now..... :lol: :evil: :evil: :lol:
AMD AthlonXP1800+(OC'd to 2000+)/Soyo K7V Dragon Plus!/512mb Samsung PC2100 DDR/(2) Maxtor 60GB 7200rpm HDD striped w/ onboard IDE Raid/Sony DRU-500A(replaced w/ TDK 840G)/Pioneer DVD-105/Radeon 7500 (64mb)..and a S.S. Directron case.
Albo
Buffer Underrun

Postby NoSmartz on Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:37 pm

in particular look here: http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers
I've been to that site a ton of times dodecahedron but I never knew that info was there.Thanx for the link.
Get a standalone cd player for music cd's.They're cheap!!!!
Nero is the best.Roxio will have to improve a whole lot to catch Nero!!!!
Your correct about this forum CAG,it's the most helpful one I've ever used.
Lone Wolf mentions other free apps.Here's a few.
ImgTool
BurnAtOnce
They take some practice but they work OK.

E
Soren Kierkegaard
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby VEFF on Fri Feb 27, 2004 7:00 pm

dodecahedron wrote:
CAG wrote:I know that when I burn an audio CD on my PC, the copy won't play on my Sony CD/DVD player. I assume this has to do with some sort of copyright protection encryption sensing that is built into the player.

not necessarily.
i don't think it's a copyright protection system.
some older DVD players won't play CDRs.

[i don't know if this was to "battle" piracy (prevent people playing their CDRs), but if that's the case we all know that was a major failuer. all newer DVD players support CDRs, MP3 , DVD+/- R etc. etc.]

some old players, even though they don't play CDRs, do play CDRWs. you can try burning an Audio CDRW and see if it plays on your DVD player.

It is definitely not a copyright protection system.

In addition, in defense of Sony gear, I offer the following feedback, based on personal experience:
I had a Sony 5 disc CD changer (still have it, but not hooked up anymore since I have a 110+1 mega CD changer now) bought in 1989 that played audio CDs backed up on CD-Rs from just about every brand I can think of.

I also have a Sony DVD mega changer that plays home video archived on every DVD-R and DVD+R I have tried so far. (My previous Sony DVD player was just as good).
Burners only:
Pioneer DVR-115D
Pioneer DVR-111D
Plextor PX-716A TLA0304
Plextor PX-716A same TLA

LiteOn 52246S 52X CD-RW
LiteOn 52246S (another)
LiteOn 52327S 52X CD-RW
TDK 40X USB 2.0 CD-RW
TEAC CD-W540E 40X CD-RW
VEFF
CD-RW Player

Postby CAG on Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:04 pm

I have a Sony DVP-S530D. I checked the list at dvdrhelp.com and my machine does not play CDR's or DVD+RW. It will play CDRW, DVD-R/RW, and DVD+R. So, that pretty much answers my questions...guess I'll be burning audio on CDRW from now on.

EDIT: Burned an audio disc to a CDRW and it played fine on the Sony. BTW, this is the first time I've actually been able to do something with the Plextor PX-708A since I installed it last weekend...its flawless and absolutely silent.
CAG
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Sat Feb 28, 2004 4:18 am

NoSmartz wrote:
dodecahedron wrote:in particular look here: http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers
I've been to that site a ton of times dodecahedron but I never knew that info was there.Thanx for the link.

welcome :)
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby dodecahedron on Sat Feb 28, 2004 4:20 am

just a word of warning about the information at dvdrhelp.com about players:
that's user info. at the top you see the "average" info. if you scroll down and see the various inputs given by individual users, you'll see that there's variance. e.g. some say it will play DVD+R some will say it won't. just be aware of this. if someone says it doesn't work with X it might be because they didn't know how to get it to work, or used bad media.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Return to DVD Writers