Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Nero 6 Install Problem?

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Nero 6 Install Problem?

Postby steelly on Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:41 pm

After reading several posts recommending Nero Software on this site; I purchased Nero 6, but can't seem to get it to run without crashing. I have completely removed all DVD and CD-R software and Defragged the hard drive; so I could start with a decontaminated system. I am running Windows ME on an HP XL 754 computer. The Processor is a 866 Pentium 3 and I have 512 in Ram memory. I realize this is an older computer, but it works great up to now.
When I load Nero 6.3 and everything goes smoothly up until I try to start one of the various programs, and then it crashes and disables my computer. The message that appears is a 'Voltrack' operating error. It reads: "An exception has occurred at 0028:C004c685 in VxD VFAT(01) + 0000CC25. This was called from 0028:C1C319ED in VxD Voltrack (04) + 00000430. It maybe possible to continue normally." I have installed and reinstalled Nero 6 several times and it is a revolving door of crashes and Operating Error Messages. I have contacted Nero to no avail so far. I would like to run this program on a Plextor 708A and Samsung 352B; the Samsung came bundle with Nero 5.5. Does anyone have any idea how I can install Nero 6.3 so that it operates correctly? Please make your instructions step by step, or as I like to say "Dummy Proof." Thanks to everyone on this board, I know this problem will be corrected by the end of the day! :roll:

Postby YrbkMgr on Sat Feb 28, 2004 4:27 pm

There is a driver conflict. The best thing to do is to first eliminate that it could be something that is in startup. If it's me, here's how I'd do it.

First run MSCONFIG from Start button Run. It will load an applet that has tabs. One of the tabs is Startup Items (or something like that). That tab lists everything that is loading when your computer starts.

You have to use a little intelligence on what is absolutely needed (not much usually), but the theory is, you disable 1/2 of the items, reboot, try Nero. If the problem goes way, it's one of those things you disabled. So you then enable half of what you previously disabled, and so on.

That may help you isolate where the conflict is. Once you know that, then you can decide if it's an update issue with that program, or whether you really have to have that loading at startup, etc...
YrbkMgr
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Sat Feb 28, 2004 4:30 pm

if you want to find out what those things in the msconfig startup tab do, here is the place to find out:
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

I appreciate the help, but

Postby steelly on Sat Feb 28, 2004 8:40 pm

I found what I needed at this page: http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=15171
It seems this is an ongoing battle between drivers.
I have read so much on this issue, and Voltrack is everywhere in the search engines, but as usual the answer was at CDR Labs at the above link. The information that CCambell posted was right on point, but the answer by yrbkMgr was also perfect. It seems after the process of elimination that I had another driver from Adaptec that was the problem. It was part of the application in MusicMatch Jukebox; I disabled it and downloaded another driver from Nero and everything runs great. I really suffered during this war of Drivers on my computer to the degree I almost went out and bought another one. Thanks for your help and here is the link again in case someone else needs help:
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=15171
steelly
CD-RW Thug

Postby YrbkMgr on Sun Feb 29, 2004 4:09 am

Great link Dodec, thanks!

Steelly,

Glad you got it sorted. :wink:
YrbkMgr
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:00 am

YrbkMgr wrote:Great link Dodec, thanks!

welcome :)
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby MediumRare on Sun Feb 29, 2004 9:38 am

YrbkMgr wrote:Great link Dodec, thanks!

I'll second that.

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)