Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Nero CD Speed with LG 8523B no C1 error reporting???

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Nero CD Speed with LG 8523B no C1 error reporting???

Postby algrinch on Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:18 pm

When I run Nero CDspeed, CD quaility Test, there is a check box at the bottom that says "report c1 errors". Unfortunately the box is greyed out and I cannot select it. When I run the test, the program reports on C2 errors but not on C1 errors.

I am trying to get a sense of how well my burner performs on the media I am using. When I run the test, no C2 errors are produced and Scandisk shows all sectors to be good, but I would like to see the C1 error rate to get a more accurate assement of the reliability of the media.

My computer has the system ASPI and Nero ASPI, working properly under the Nero Info Tool. I have disabled the Windows XP cd burning software. The IDE driver is running in Ultra DMA mode 2 and the drive is the only on on that cable.

I have conducted searches on this forum, as well as reading the manual and the CDspeed2000 web site. I haven't come across any answers yet.

I have Nero. 6.0 ultra edition running and have just downloaded all of the latest updates which I intend to install tonight. Maybe that will make a difference. I will advise after I have applied the updates.

My computer is a Syntax Motherboard with a built in Via Samuel Processor 800 mhz 384 MB DDR ram. Running XP Pro

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

PS - Try not to laugh to hard at the motherboard and processor, it only cost $25 after rebate :wink: Unless it is causing this problem, it has worked very well so far.
"All Bibles are man made" - Thomas Edison
algrinch
CD-RW Player

Postby MediumRare on Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:18 pm

Aparently only LiteOn and Plextor Premium are supported. This was discussed in the CDRW forum a number of times, e.g. http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=14493, although my try at a search didn't find it either :roll:.

See CD-DVD Speed Compatibility list and Scan Results for some more information.

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby algrinch on Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:03 pm

Thanks Mediumrare for pointing me in the right direction. That certainly explains why it doesn't work.

It would seem the way for me to assess the media is with the C2 error report and the scandisc results. Are these tests adequate? If the media has good marks in these two categories is it reliable?

From what I have read so far on this topic, I am guessing a disc that passes the scandisc and has no C2 errors it should be reliable for data storage. Although if there alot of C1 errors, that may be a good indicator that the disc would fail sooner than a disc that reported very few C1 errors. I guess my thinking is that the C1 error report would indicate how long the disk may last.

Appologies to all, for beating on a dead horse....I thought he was alive.

As always, any help is much appreicated.
algrinch
CD-RW Player

Postby MediumRare on Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:42 pm

algrinch wrote:It would seem the way for me to assess the media is with the C2 error report and the scandisc results. Are these tests adequate? If the media has good marks in these two categories is it reliable?

Well it means that the second level of error correction hasn't kicked in. On a data disc, C2's won't keep you from reading the data because of the additional error correction code, Video or audio CD's skip this additional correction and pack more data on the disc under the assumption that a click or drop out doesn't hurt much (in contrast to missing data).

I think that scandisc normally reports C2's, so your 2 categories are really just 1. What you could also do is the quality test in CD-Speed. If you notice a drop in the transfer rate, that's an indicator that your drive is having problems reading the disc, even if there aren't any errors showing. I've found that a drop in speed usually corelates with high C1's.

algrinch wrote:From what I have read so far on this topic, I am guessing a disc that passes the scandisc and has no C2 errors it should be reliable for data storage. Although if there alot of C1 errors, that may be a good indicator that the disc would fail sooner than a disc that reported very few C1 errors. I guess my thinking is that the C1 error report would indicate how long the disk may last.

That's pretty well how I think about it too, even though it's a bit more complicated. A high C1 count doesn't necessarily mean that the disc will die soon- it just says that there is less tolerance for additional errors (scratches, aging or whatever). Of course, if you leave a "good" disc (low C1 count) in the sun, it will probably deteriorate more rapidly than a "marginal" one stored in the dark.

algrinch wrote:Appologies to all, for beating on a dead horse....I thought he was alive.

No sweat. It's amazing how hard these beasts keep kicking! :wink:

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby algrinch on Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:42 pm

Much clearer now. Watching for the drop in the transfer rate makes sense.

Thanks much for your help.
algrinch
CD-RW Player

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)