Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Anyone from LA??

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

Anyone from LA??

Postby Ian on Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:09 pm

Some guy on eBay screwed a number of people out of a sizable sum of money. It's been more than a month and nothing has shown up. Anyway, the address he has listed is in LA. Anyone live near here?

625east 116th place
los angeles, CA 90059

If you live near by, stop at his house and tell him to send me my Prime or refund my money! I also have his phone number. I haven't had time to call him yet.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby eliminator on Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:04 pm

... or I can send Joe, Tony & lil' Rocco to pay him a visit... :wink:
eliminator
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:42 pm

lol!!
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby cfitz on Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:07 pm

eliminator wrote:... or I can send Joe, Tony & lil' Rocco to pay him a visit... :wink:

Don't forget Guido! :wink: 8)

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby CowboySlim on Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:37 pm

eliminator wrote:
... or I can send Joe, Tony & lil' Rocco to pay him a visit...

Don't forget Guido!

1st quote isn't quite right, it's Joey not Joe.

I'm not particularly familiar with that neighborhood, but looking at the address.............well, I wouldn't go there without the above mentioned four in addition to Vinnie.

Slimmy
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:04 pm

Ian my friend, join the club. I learned years ago to quit using ebay.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby burninfool on Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:53 pm

I used to live in LA and as CowboySlim said it's a bad neighborhood,you will need SWAT to serve a subpoena.
burninfool
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:58 pm

Lovely. He's supposedly been sending his stuff through an FPO so he might be in the military. I might have to email them. I don't think they'd look too fondly on one of their soldiers committing fraud.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby CowboySlim on Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:47 am

I used to live in LA and as CowboySlim said it's a bad neighborhood,you will need SWAT to serve a subpoena.

You'll notice that although I live in the general LA area, I didn't volunteer.

On the other hand, BuddhaTB lives in the greater LA area, I volunteer him! :P

Slim
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:47 am

CowboySlim wrote:On the other hand, BuddhaTB lives in the greater LA area, I volunteer him! :P

Well, I'm sure that somewhere in that shoe collection of his are a pair that are specifically designed for outrunning gang bangers when things go bad. :wink:

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby UALOneKPlus on Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:59 am

cfitz wrote:
CowboySlim wrote:On the other hand, BuddhaTB lives in the greater LA area, I volunteer him! :P

Well, I'm sure that somewhere in that shoe collection of his are a pair that are specifically designed for outrunning gang bangers when things go bad. :wink:

cfitz

ROFLMAO!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint you can on it."
-Danny Kaye
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

Postby VEFF on Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:26 pm

I have had no problems at all with ebay.
There are dishonest sellers, but I guess they are in the minority.
Dishonest buyers aren't as big of a problem, since you wait to get
the payment before shipping anyway.

My purchases - only two - so far have been VERY smooth.

I did avoid ebay for years, because of alternatives, one of which
has gone downhill lately in terms of its selection.

I mainly use ebay for discontinued high end audio gear, or small items like the headphones for my cell phone's FM tuner for less than half of the retail price, from well-established sellers.

I am not recommending ebay, but it can come in very handy for unique or discontinued items, with audio gear and collectibles beig at the top of the list.

I would never buy PC gear, cars or anything that can be bought elsewhere, with the exception of small cheap items like the Nokia headset that was literally a steal, from ebay.
Burners only:
Pioneer DVR-115D
Pioneer DVR-111D
Plextor PX-716A TLA0304
Plextor PX-716A same TLA

LiteOn 52246S 52X CD-RW
LiteOn 52246S (another)
LiteOn 52327S 52X CD-RW
TDK 40X USB 2.0 CD-RW
TEAC CD-W540E 40X CD-RW
VEFF
CD-RW Player

Re: Anyone from LA??

Postby VEFF on Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:56 pm

Ian wrote:Some guy on eBay screwed a number of people out of a sizable sum of money. It's been more than a month and nothing has shown up. Anyway, the address he has listed is in LA. Anyone live near here?

625east 116th place
los angeles, CA 90059

If you live near by, stop at his house and tell him to send me my Prime or refund my money! I also have his phone number. I haven't had time to call him yet.

Good luck getting your money back or your Optimus Prime, Ian!
Keep us posted!

Did you pay by CC? If so, you can obviously dispute the charges, as I am sure you are well aware.
Burners only:
Pioneer DVR-115D
Pioneer DVR-111D
Plextor PX-716A TLA0304
Plextor PX-716A same TLA

LiteOn 52246S 52X CD-RW
LiteOn 52246S (another)
LiteOn 52327S 52X CD-RW
TDK 40X USB 2.0 CD-RW
TEAC CD-W540E 40X CD-RW
VEFF
CD-RW Player

Postby BuddhaTB on Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:09 pm

cfitz wrote:

LOL! :lol:

I probably do too!

Like people have said, that address is located in a very rough area of LA. It's surrounded by the cities of Compton and Watts. I'm hoping you paid by paypal or credit card, as they can help solve the problem. But if you paid with Money Order, you basically out of luck. Fraud on eBay is nothing new to me, as I've helped numerous people on my shoe forum deal with sellers that never sending anything or send a counterfeit pair of Nikes.

I've never been frauded on eBay yet, but I've been screwed before. A recent example is when I won a pair of Jordans and the seller wouldn't sell me them because the ending price was lower than what he wanted. I reported him to eBay and in return, he gives me a negative feedback. I got real pissed and gave him a negative too. Even tho things like that happen, I will continue to buy and sell on eBay because its the only place to find vintage shoes to add to my collection. It also helps that I can help support the habit by selling. :D

Ian, I'm really sorry to see that happen to nice person like yourself. Hopefully you didn't pay too much, because you might have to eat the loss. :(
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:11 pm

No, I was unfortunate enough to have a positive balance in my PayPal account so I used that to pay for it.

JamieW called his house today. The guy is in the Navy. If it comes down to it, I'll take it up with them.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby BuddhaTB on Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:15 pm

Ian wrote:No, I was unfortunate enough to have a positive balance in my PayPal account so I used that to pay for it.

Try filing a complaint with Paypal. They may return some of your money, if not all of it.

http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cm ... nt-outside
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:02 pm

Paypal sucks. You need to file within 30 days (which I did) and even then they don't guarantee you'll get your money.. that is unless you pay extra for insurance. Essentially his Paypal account was tapped out so Paypal told me to go sit and spin.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby TheWizard on Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:55 am

Ian wrote:Paypal sucks. You need to file within 30 days (which I did) and even then they don't guarantee you'll get your money.. that is unless you pay extra for insurance. Essentially his Paypal account was tapped out so Paypal told me to go sit and spin.

Happened to me once...well sorta. A seller on eBay was selling some computer equipment, so my partner bought most of it and I bought some of it. My partner used his credit card and paid for it through PayPal; I used my existing balance in PayPal. The merchandise never reached my partner, but merchandise did reach me, however it was not the merchandise described on the auction page. After filing a complaint with both eBay and PayPal, I got, what I thought, was a better response from PayPal. eBay said they couldn't help me because the seller did actually send something, apparently they weren't too interested in helping me despite the fact that I received the wrong merchandise. After a little while, PayPal proved not to be very helpful either. They gave me the same excuse they gave you, something about the seller's PayPal account being empty, therefore no funds could be recovered.

My partner was more irate than me since he received nothing at all. So, since he used his credit card, he went directly to the bank and was able to recover money that way. I don't recall if he recovered the full amount, but I know he salvaged the bulk of it.

Despite all of this, I still like eBay and PayPal. There hasn't been a real rival of PayPal, therefore I have to stick with them. Citibank's c2it service was a rival, but they shut down last year. And eBay, IMO, is still a great community to buy and sell. Am I more careful about who I do business with on eBay now? Sure. Of all the auctions sites, eBay is tops.
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby UALOneKPlus on Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:19 am

Sorry to hear that Ian. :(
"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint you can on it."
-Danny Kaye
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

Postby VEFF on Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:15 am

Sorry to hear that Ian. :(

I had read on a hot deals site's deal discussion forum to always pay by CC when using PayPal to pay for auctions, which makes sense when one thinks about it.
I took the advice and, for my two auction purchases, I first transferred my entire PayPal balance to my bank account, and then paid by PayPal with my CC, since PayPal defaults to your balance as method of payment...
Both transactions went smoohtly anyway, but it was reassuring to know that I could dispute the charge with the CC company if something went wrong.

Anyway, hopefully you'll get (at least most of) your money back, or receive your Optimus Prime.
Burners only:
Pioneer DVR-115D
Pioneer DVR-111D
Plextor PX-716A TLA0304
Plextor PX-716A same TLA

LiteOn 52246S 52X CD-RW
LiteOn 52246S (another)
LiteOn 52327S 52X CD-RW
TDK 40X USB 2.0 CD-RW
TEAC CD-W540E 40X CD-RW
VEFF
CD-RW Player