Home News Reviews Forums Shop

I Give Up...

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

I Give Up...

Postby Buddy Keister on Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:50 am

Well... I got Nero 6 Ultra about six months ago, to run on Windows XP Home Edition SP1...

It used to burn music CD's.... it won't anymore (updated to 6.3.0.3)
It tries, but after fifteen minutes of starting/stopping the blank cd, it tells me that the burn process failed.

I thought that the full Nero suite was cool, but InCD prevented me from being able to install other software I'd purchased, off of their installation cd's... My PC would lock up, and I'd have to shutdown using the panic button on the front of my tower, to be able to eject the cd. So I uninstalled InCD, and left the rest of the suite intact.

I thought I could at least use Nero to burn data cd's and dvd's... and I can. I just can't burn multisession cd's, because the multisession checkbox will never, ever allow me to check the "continue multisession" option.

So, as of this writing, Nero 6 Ultra is a glorified data backer-upper for me, and nothing more... I have to use RealOne, to burn CD's, and never reinstalled InCD...

All of my updates are the current ones... I've been checking nightly...

Oh... finally, I upgraded to the "power pack" option, and the LAME mp3 encoder plugin still isn't recognized on my machine... it doesn't even appear as an option for encoding... registered or unregistered.

So I give up... I guess it's all about compatibility issues... and apparently, this software isn't compatible with much... at least on my PC.

Sorry to have to say it... BK.
Buddy Keister
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:10 am

My condolence and empathy. :(

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby CDR_Newbie on Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:29 pm

The INCD issue is probably the same one discussed on another thread; whereby once INCD consumes 100% of the machines Kernel process time JUST BY BEING LOADED. Merely exiting INCD or preventing it from being started using something like MSCONFIG will not resolve the problem. The only thing that works is dumping the INCD install all together. Ahead's responses have range from "cannot reproduce the problem" to 'update your IDE drivers" to the current "load the latest version"...All have been a waste of time. So I would suggest you find another Packet Writer software....BTW I'm still looking for something that works reliably.

As for your specific problem, if it is of any consolation, of the few elements I have attempted to use of this suite, I have yet to find anything that works flawlessly (or anything near it) on my "old" WIN 98SE machine. This is NOT a "does everything you want to do" suite; all the elements are there but every element I have tried thus far has had some sort of glitch. It is quite obvious this latest incarnation of the NERO suite has some real issues with quality control; just look at the number of threads in this forum.

I bought this suite based on the "glowing" reports from Ziff-Davis publications (CNET and PC Magazine). I guess they were really of the mark on this one or the version they reviewed was not the same one "unleashed" on the unsuspecting public. Shame on you Ziff-Davis!
:x :(
CDR_Newbie
Buffer Underrun

Postby Buddy Keister on Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:25 am

Thanks for the empathy, folks... much appreciated!

And Newbie, if it's any help, right up until this current version of WinXP, I used Roxio's Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum, to do packet writing, and let me tell you, it spoiled me rotten! Worked without a hitch, every time (and that was on Win98, and the original release of XP Home Edition, before all the service pack stuff came out). IMHO, Easy CD Creator 6 is bloatware, and I haven't tried Easy Media Creator 7... But 5 is sleek, doesn't have all those extras you'd never use... and for Win98, I give it five out of five stars....

Thanks Again, BK.
Buddy Keister
Buffer Underrun

Postby Buddy Keister on Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:40 am

PS... In order to be fair (and also because I don't want to just throw a $100 investment away, if I can help it), I just got the latest versions of everything from the Ahead website, have installed the full package again, and with the 6.3.1.6 upgrade, I was at least able to burn 1 cd successfully...
Will keep you posted...

Best Wishes, BK.
Buddy Keister
Buffer Underrun

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)