Home News Reviews Forums Shop

how can I check if a vcd is playable on standalone players?

Burn baby burn!

how can I check if a vcd is playable on standalone players?

Postby patpat on Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:34 pm

I used to copy VCD's by just copying the DAT file to harddrive and then burning the file to a blank cd using RealOnePlayer. However, it is my understanding that the resulting VCD can only be played on computers and cannot be played on standalone VCD players because the VCD is single tracked.

I am trying to make a VCD for my friend who wants to play the VCD on his standalone player.

I burned a VCD using DeepBurner, and the resulting VCD does have all the folders and files that was on the original and it plays fine on the PC. But I don't know if it will play on a standalone. Is there a way to check? I don't want to give an unplayable VCD to my friend since I have to drive 20 miles to get to his house. I'd hate to have to make a return trip.

I copied the VCD by first copying everything on the original vcd to my harddrive, then I opened DeepBurner and dragged all the contents from the original vcd into the menu to burn.
patpat
Buffer Underrun

Postby burninfool on Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:07 pm

Use the Copy function instead,it will make a perfect duplicate.
burninfool
CD-RW Player

Postby patpat on Fri Mar 19, 2004 4:17 pm

Do you mean copy from the hard drive?

I still am figuring out the Deep Burner program... I didn't notice a copy function.

thanks
patpat
Buffer Underrun

Postby TheWizard on Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:39 pm

Only way to find out if it'll play in your friend's standalone player is to try. :) Even if your VCD doesn't work in his player, that doesn't mean it is incompatible with VCD's. It may also be the type of media you burn it on. Some standalone players won't play CD-R's, only CD-RW's. Some standalone players are fussy about the length of the media: 74-minute as opposed to 80-minute. Others, although rarely, prefer blue cyanine dye as opposed to silver/green pthalocyanine dye. It's really a matter of trial and error. I recommend searching for your friend's standalone player in the list at http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers, there will likely be user comments stating which media works and which doesn't. And, of course, there will be an indication of whether or not the player supports VCD's at all.
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:28 am

burninfool wrote:Use the Copy function instead,it will make a perfect duplicate.

patpat wrote:Do you mean copy from the hard drive?

i think he meant a CD-Copy function in Nero, Easy CD Creator or some such application.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives