Home News Reviews Forums Shop

do you ever get weird request at work?

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

do you ever get weird request at work?

Postby MonteLDS on Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:11 am

So I am an IT Consultant, and recently I feel like I am getting some odd request. I had this lady have me figure out how to have her cordless phone system setup in her house. And then setup her DVD players... I asked my self as i left with my check, 'what did that had to do with computers?' other then I order the phones via the internet!

Today I was turned into DJ Monte. A company I do a lot of work for is having an Award Breakfast and they wantted me to make a mix CD for them of music to pump their guest.

I don't get what is with all the weird request.. anyone else get this kind of odd job requests?

(for those that are wondering i put on the following
Pink - I'm Coming Up
George Clinton - Play That Funky Music White Boy
Rickey Martain - Cup of life
Romantics - What I Like About You
Lenny Kravitz - Are You Going To Go My Way
Brian Setzer Orchestra - Jump Jive and Wail
Beyonce feat. jay-z - crazy in love
Peaches And Herb - Shake Your Groove Thing
Journey - Any Way You Want It
Will Smith - Gettin' Jiggy With It
Backstreet Boys - Larger Than Life
Green Day - When I Come Around
Rocky Theme - Eye Of The Tiger
all american rejects - swing swing
Queen - We Will Rock You
Tina Turner - Simply the Best
MonteLDS
CD-RW Player

Postby JamieW on Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:02 am

I'm Engineering Manager at an engineering firm specializing in fire protection and life safety engineering. One guy called asking if we removed smoke detectors from walls. Apparently he had someone put up gyp walls in his basement but rather than removing the old smoke detector, they just left it behind a wall. It had a low battery and a buzzer was sounding all the time. I tried to explain to him that really isn't our thing, but he was confused. I mean...it was a smoke detector. He said he would pay us. I told him minimum fee would be 8 hours work and since I was the only one there he could pay the $165/hour the company gets for me and 10% overhead and profit for like $1500 but it would only cover removal, not patching and painting. He didn't want to hire us. I was serious, too. I had a hammer in my car.
A man has been charged after allegedly punching a 73-year-old woman in the face, breaking her nose and stabbing her in the arm with a corkscrew before hitting a second woman with a bottle at a wedding reception in the Whitsunday Islands.
JamieW
Chicken Farmer

Postby Ian on Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:43 am

MonteLDS, you might want to check with your boss about some of that stuff. It sounds like some people might be using you for non-work related stuff.. especially the lady with the VCR's. I know its hard to say no and it feels good to be helpful.. but take it from experience, some of this stuff can come back later to bite you in the ass.

Just an idea. You might want to print out business cards with rates on them. When people ask you to come over and fix their computer, give them a card and say "sure, here are my rates. Give me a call and we'll setup a time.". It will stop the cheapasses from trying to get you to do stuff for them for free and you'll probably make a few bucks on the side.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby TheWizard on Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:30 am

Happened to me numerous times in the past. I, too, set up a client's DVD/VHS combo player. The toughest part was pulling out the TV and balancing it while I plugged in the S-Video and audio cables in the back. :P I have also assisted clients with phones and fax machines. The reason why people ask us computer consultants to help with these sorts of things is because they know we know the technology. Whether it be a computer, telephone, DVD player, or what have you...we exude technological knowledge. Most people can't set the clock on their VCR, so they ask us to do it because they see we are handy with just about every technological gadget there is.

Personally, I don't mind it that much. If I can help someone else, I feel good about myself. I don't have to worry about telling my boss that I did something other than fix someone's computer. Why? Because I'm my own boss. :)
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby wicked1 on Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:14 am

to JamieW your sig. gets better everyday :)
Pioneer dvr-108,NEC 3540,BenQ 1640,LiteOn 1693S
Intel pentium D 930 oc to 4.2 ghz
2 gb ddr2 1066 mhz ram
geforce 7600GT
sb audigy 2 zs platnum
hardware mpeg2 encoder card

Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good
wicked1
CD-RW Player

Postby MonteLDS on Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:24 am

Ian wrote:MonteLDS, you might want to check with your boss about some of that stuff. It sounds like some people might be using you for non-work related stuff.. especially the lady with the VCR's. I know its hard to say no and it feels good to be helpful.. but take it from experience, some of this stuff can come back later to bite you in the ass.

Just an idea. You might want to print out business cards with rates on them. When people ask you to come over and fix their computer, give them a card and say "sure, here are my rates. Give me a call and we'll setup a time.". It will stop the cheapasses from trying to get you to do stuff for them for free and you'll probably make a few bucks on the side.

i work for myself. and they both are paying my PC rate to do this weird stuff :)
MonteLDS
CD-RW Player

Postby JamieW on Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:55 am

Monte, do you ever show up late for work expecting your boss to yell at you but find he is late, too? I think you should sue yourself for sexual harassment, too.
A man has been charged after allegedly punching a 73-year-old woman in the face, breaking her nose and stabbing her in the arm with a corkscrew before hitting a second woman with a bottle at a wedding reception in the Whitsunday Islands.
JamieW
Chicken Farmer

Postby Ian on Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:54 am

MonteLDS wrote:i work for myself. and they both are paying my PC rate to do this weird stuff :)

Well hell. I wish I knew people crazy enough to pay me to program VCR's.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby cfitz on Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:57 pm

JamieW wrote:Monte, do you ever show up late for work expecting your boss to yell at you but find he is late, too?

:lol: :lol:

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby wicked1 on Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:26 pm

JamieW wrote: I think you should sue yourself for sexual harassment, too.

hell you never know what lawsuits will fly these days.Especially after the recent McDonalds one.Might win this one :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pioneer dvr-108,NEC 3540,BenQ 1640,LiteOn 1693S
Intel pentium D 930 oc to 4.2 ghz
2 gb ddr2 1066 mhz ram
geforce 7600GT
sb audigy 2 zs platnum
hardware mpeg2 encoder card

Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good
wicked1
CD-RW Player

Postby VEFF on Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:16 am

cfitz wrote:
JamieW wrote:Monte, do you ever show up late for work expecting your boss to yell at you but find he is late, too?

:lol: :lol:

cfitz

Thanks for the laugh! I needed a good one today.
Burners only:
Pioneer DVR-115D
Pioneer DVR-111D
Plextor PX-716A TLA0304
Plextor PX-716A same TLA

LiteOn 52246S 52X CD-RW
LiteOn 52246S (another)
LiteOn 52327S 52X CD-RW
TDK 40X USB 2.0 CD-RW
TEAC CD-W540E 40X CD-RW
VEFF
CD-RW Player