Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Epson r200 question

CPU's? Motherboards? Video cards? Talk about it here.

Epson r200 question

Postby Jbird on Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:43 pm

I have a question to anyone with an Epson r200/300/800.

I love the quality of the printing it does on CD's, but how do you keep the lable's from running when they get wet? My thumb had somw water on it, and when I touched a cd that I had printed 3 days before, *BAM* the ink started to bleed really bad on that spot. From time to time since I'm not good about keeping my CD's clean, I wash them with somew water and a rag. I tested this on a cd I had printed, and the entire label was ruined.

looking for something easy. and cheap I can apply over the print to keep it intact, any suggestions?
Jbird
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:14 pm

I'm not a fan of labels on optical discs, but if you do want to use them and are having trouble with water fastness, go to a local arts and crafts store and check the selection of clear finishes, matte fixatives, archival spray varnishes, etc. They are all clear, spray-on finishes that are used to protect charcoal and pastel drawings, water-colors, photographs, prints, etc. Ask a salesperson or read the labels to see which would work best for your application. And, of course, apply the protectant before you apply the label to the disc. Finally, for best results spray in multiple, light, even coats rather than trying to do it all in one coat.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Jbird on Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:05 pm

I hate lables too, but this printer prints directly on special Printable CD's. I will look into what you said, thanks for the suggestion man.
Jbird
Buffer Underrun

Postby aviationwiz on Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:13 pm

I have the R300 and don't have a problem like that...

Dumb question, but are you using original Epson ink cartridges, OEM "compatible" cartridges, or refills?
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby cfitz on Sat May 01, 2004 12:42 am

Jbird wrote:I hate lables too, but this printer prints directly on special Printable CD's. I will look into what you said, thanks for the suggestion man.

Oops. I didn't recognize the printer model. :oops: I've seen these but never used them, and do agree they seem pretty nice since they print directly to the disc.

If aviationwiz' tips don't help and you do use a protective spray, I would recommend placing the discs printed side up on a clean, flat, lint-free piece of paper (typing paper might work) and then spray the printed surface. The paper should catch the overspray, keeping it from reaching the data side of the disc. Replace the paper with a new sheet for each disc.

Since you will be applying the coating directly to the disc, I would avoid lacquer based protective sprays if possible. They might dissolve the protective lacquer on the top of the CDs (not a problem with DVDs since DVDs are polycarbonate on both sides) and damage the underlying data layer. Remember from high school chemistry class that like dissolves like.

Aviationwiz, have you actually tried washing your discs, or are you just reporting that you don't get smudges from your fingers?

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Jbird on Sat May 01, 2004 5:49 am

aviationwiz wrote:I have the R300 and don't have a problem like that...

Dumb question, but are you using original Epson ink cartridges, OEM "compatible" cartridges, or refills?

these are the carts that came with the printer. The Media is the Memorex, only stuff I could find at the retail stores. I'm sure if I ordered some off the net I'd have better results. But the one media review I saw for the R300 printer said Memorex gave them the best results (go figure)
Jbird
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Sat May 01, 2004 9:31 am

I checked last night, and I may be wrong, but it seems that only Epsons new "Durabrite" pigment-based inks are advertised as being water resistant and they are not the inks the R200/300 uses. Is it possible, aviationwiz, that you just have drier fingers than Jbird?

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby aviationwiz on Sat May 01, 2004 11:05 am

cfitz wrote:Is it possible, aviationwiz, that you just have drier fingers than Jbird?

Ummm, I suppose... Could it also be that the coating for inkjet printing that Ritek uses (G04) is better, in some way, shape, or form for water resistance?
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby dodecahedron on Sat May 01, 2004 1:55 pm

a stupid question maybe, but Jbird, did you use inkjet-printable media?
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby cfitz on Sat May 01, 2004 2:52 pm

aviationwiz wrote:Ummm, I suppose... Could it also be that the coating for inkjet printing that Ritek uses (G04) is better, in some way, shape, or form for water resistance?

It is possible. The ink my sink in better and adhere better. Can you sacrifice one of your printed discs by dipping it in some water and seeing if it will stand up to the wash test?

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby cfitz on Sat May 01, 2004 2:54 pm

dodecahedron wrote:a stupid question maybe, but Jbird, did you use inkjet-printable media?

I believe so. He said he used the Memorex media, the only media he could find in retail stores. Memorex is the only inkjet printable media I have seen in retail stores.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Jbird on Sat May 01, 2004 8:09 pm

I use Memorex Printable media, until I read a review of a brand I can get on-line that is better. After shipping ordering media printable online won't be too much cheaper, but if the quality is there I'd even spend a little more.

I am overall very impressed with the quality of the Memorex media looks wise. As much as I dislike their cd-r's, I have made some very prefessional looking disc's in the week I've had the printer.
Jbird
Buffer Underrun

Postby seaegg on Sun May 09, 2004 3:22 am

I was just wondering if the labelling software that comes with the R200 and R300 includes a template for printing full coverage inkjet printable DVDs and CDs. I've been meaning to ask that question for a while now and just remembered. I plan on buying the R200 on Friday evening. I just have to try and find a buyer for my Canon S520 and Canon CanoScan 650U now.
Scientia Est Potentia
seaegg
CD-RW Player

Postby Jbird on Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:39 pm

seaegg wrote:I was just wondering if the labelling software that comes with the R200 and R300 includes a template for printing full coverage inkjet printable DVDs and CDs. I've been meaning to ask that question for a while now and just remembered. I plan on buying the R200 on Friday evening. I just have to try and find a buyer for my Canon S520 and Canon CanoScan 650U now.

don't think so, but I don't use it. I use Surething. Yeah, it costs money, but it has so many more options. I use it to do the full coverage works like a charm.

? for anyone who knows, I know the r300 is just the r200 with the LCD screen. But, is the r800 faster? I love my r200 but it's painfully slow for most printing next to my Canon i550.
Jbird
Buffer Underrun

Return to General Hardware Discussion