Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Oh yay, fun internet problem (Fun meaning shoot it now)

CPU's? Motherboards? Video cards? Talk about it here.

Oh yay, fun internet problem (Fun meaning shoot it now)

Postby StarKnightGoku on Tue May 04, 2004 8:45 pm

As of Saturday, I can log into my ISP's servers, ping people, but nothing else. Right now I'm at a public computer in a library, wondering when I'll bother to worry...Too lazy to worry right now.

Anyway, yeah, I can log in, but I can't load anything on the internet, all I get is an instant Cannot find server for IE, and all my programs that use the internet can't find anything either. So it's either a conspiracy against me, or I have a problem, although either way it'd be quite a problem.

I called my ISP's tech support, and they had me change the DNS settings to the ones the computer was using anyway as defaults, then the second guy I talked to told me to get my hands on a Win98 disk to reinstall Dial-Up Networking..

Blah. Library's closing in about two minutes, I need to run.

Anyone that has any theories or further questioning, leave a reply, I'll have a connection from school I can use.
StarKnightGoku
Buffer Underrun

Postby bill on Wed May 05, 2004 10:16 pm

Just a guess, do you have a firewall installed blocking IE? I made that mistake once and felt pretty silly.
bill
CD-RW Supplier

Postby NoSmartz on Thu May 06, 2004 11:15 am

try what bigmonkey mentioned,disable firewalls(peer guardian,protowall,ZA etc)had the same prob once myself.

E
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
Soren Kierkegaard
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby StarKnightGoku on Sun May 09, 2004 11:17 am

I never use firewalls, but I finally just got sick of being unable to use the computer and stuck in a quick restore disk to format and restore, since I could back up everything fairly quick and easily
StarKnightGoku
Buffer Underrun

Return to General Hardware Discussion