Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Problems with Nero Back It Up

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Problems with Nero Back It Up

Postby franco50 on Sat May 01, 2004 9:30 am

I recently bought an Emprex DVD burner which came bundled with the Nero Smart Start software. I bought the drive to enable me to back up all my PCs data on a regular basis. Using Nero Back It Up, I created the first backup manually (which went OK) with the intention of running a scheduled backup overnight every Friday. I simply want to backup files which are new or have been updated since the original. When I checked the PC this morning there was an error message on screen - "The currently inserted disk is a DVD which can only be written in one session. Would you like to erase all existing data before writing? - Yes or No" Obviously this message had been sitting on screen all night waiting for my intervention but what is the use of that if the job is supposed to be automated? I clicked on Yes and the backup procedure went on its merry way but it took ages as it was deleting the existing files and backing up everything over again. Its possible I have done something wrong in the schedule setup but how can I get a scheduled job to simply add new files and overwrite updated ones to an exiting backup?
franco50
Buffer Underrun

Postby CCampbell on Tue May 04, 2004 12:28 pm

There are different backup operations to choose from. The FULL Backup will always backup all the data selected. It will not check for only those files that have been changed.

There are other options of course, such as Update Backup; Differential Backup; and Incremental Backup. We have a definition for each in our program.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby franco50 on Sat May 08, 2004 8:35 am

Thanks for the reply. I can understand the theory behind the various backup types and I have the scheduled job set to 'Update Backup' but why did the message "The currently inserted disk is a DVD which can only be written in one session. Would you like to erase all existing data before writing? - Yes or No" appear and what does it actually mean??
franco50
Buffer Underrun

Postby CCampbell on Tue May 11, 2004 1:12 pm

"The currently inserted disk is a DVD which can only be written in one session. Would you like to erase all existing data before writing? - Yes or No" appear and what does it actually mean??

It would mean that the first or last write operation done on the disc was written in such a fashion as to prevent appending of data. It was not a Multisession disc and so the disc could not be reused as it was.

The software and recorder detected that you had a ReWriteable disc in the recorder, and so offered you the option to 'erase all existing data before writing'. This would have caused the disc to become blank and therfore writable again.

Our Nero BackItUp utility is designed to span CD and DVD Media of all types, and to allow backups on multisession CD or DVD media till the disc is full.

If you use our Hard Drive Backup option, this does a sector by sector backup of the selected partition or hard drive. It spans CD and DVD Media as well, but does not allow multisession. This creates a bootable disaster recovery, system and all.

PS. Make sure you have our latest Nero 6 software installed. This will ensure that you have our latest BackItUp version.
Best Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)