Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Best price & company on Taiyo Yuden DVD -R 8x

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Best price & company on Taiyo Yuden DVD -R 8x

Postby XXXXX on Fri May 28, 2004 11:32 am

I will only buy Taiyo Yuden DVD -R 8X media after having been surprised to have about a 8-10% failure rate with Verbatum DVD +R 8X using my Memorex True Image 8x burner, unless I drop the burn speed to 4x. In contrast, I have burned about 1800 of these new Taiyo 8x DVD-R with only 1 failure (my fault running another program at the time).

I used to deal with Meritline, but have had serious problems with Ritek and other substandard media substituted in violation of advertised Taiyo (PioData) brands. More recently had a problem with CDDimensions.com adding a charge because they didn't calculate it correctly on checkout (which I am disputing).

After buying thousands of DVD media, I don't recommend Meritline or CDDimensions.com anymore. The best I have found so far is mediasupply.com (make sure you call them for the order).

This is the best price I have found on bulk DVD-R 8X Taiyo Yuden media 50/cake. For example, it was $298.50 for 200 today, including shipping (must call them).
XXXXX
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri May 28, 2004 1:00 pm

If you're new to this forum, I would highly suggest not making your first post as an advert to an online store... it looks rather like spam. Also, there is a section of this forum for "hot deals" which would have been better for this post.

Not trying to jump down your throat, just trying to give some friendly advice.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby XXXXX on Fri May 28, 2004 1:11 pm

OK, sorry. I didn't mean it to be an advertisement, and have no hat in the race....just that I burn a shitload of DVD, and have been disappointed by Merit and to a lesser degree CDDimensions. I came here looking for suggestions on the best places to find Taiyo media, and didn't see any obvious recommendations better than what I had found and used.

I also came here to check out the review of the dual layer Sony burner.
XXXXX
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Fri May 28, 2004 1:19 pm

Looks nice, but, as I'm the only one in the world who cares a lot about shipping, I'll post it anyway, I found this on thier site, first there's a small advertisment for FedEx, how great it is...*my ass* then it says
Plus, you are guaranteed 3 day delivery on ground orders.

Now that is just plain false advertising, even FedEx says
Transit Times: 1-5 business days within the contiguous U.S.; 3-7 business days to/from Alaska and Hawaii.

EDIT: I was right, they never even use Ground! They use Express Saver.

Media Supply ships its outbound packages via Federal Express Saver. This service is similar in price to standard UPS, but gets the packages to you quicker, and in better shape. Large and delicate duplication equipment is shipped via truck on a pallet (LTL service) whenver possible, so its possible your hardware shipment could be delayed waiting for the next LTL pickup. LTL shipments must be scheduled by noon each day to have a pickup come that same day. This service saves freight costs for the customer, and delivers your products in much better condition. Media Supply cannot ship via UPS, even when our customer requests it, or when they want to use their own account due to pickup and special fees charged by UPS. Our Fedex rates are very aggressive, and the boxes are handled with more care.

They just lost me as a customer, bad-mouthing your competitor is not the way to go about doing business. I'd buy from them if they had a newegg like approach, where they just say "We only ship FedEx" but when they bad-mouth the competitor, whoever it is, that's where they loose me.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri May 28, 2004 1:40 pm

no worries! Meritline is well known for their craptacularity. CDDimensions is new to me though.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby XXXXX on Fri May 28, 2004 2:09 pm

aviationwiz, yeah I don't know why sites have to do shit like that...but for me the bottom line is total price, and I have not been able to find a cheaper for Taiyo DVD-R 8x.

I'm also laughing at how there seems to be so many anti-Bush posters here....lol. Like Kerry is any better. Truth is they both suck.
XXXXX
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Fri May 28, 2004 2:25 pm

XXXXX wrote:I'm also laughing at how there seems to be so many anti-Bush posters here....lol. Like Kerry is any better. Truth is they both suck.

As a new forum member, you might want to take a look at some of the rules.

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=8914

If you want talk politics, take it to the Beer Garden. Razzing the Kerry supporters is this section of the forum is not a good thing.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby XXXXX on Fri May 28, 2004 2:37 pm

Just though it curious that talking politics in a sig seems to get a free pass.

Anyway, I'll not bring it up again since I know who is the best. Back to the media discussion.
XXXXX
CD-RW Player

Postby hydrogen on Fri May 28, 2004 7:36 pm

Thank you XXXXX for posting where to buy some Ty 8x media.

I asked in another thread did anyone know where to get some Ty 8x media now that Meritline doesn't sale them anymore, and never got a response. I was happy when I saw your post.

Your first post was a good in in my opinion :)

Anyone mentioning Ty in their first post is cool in my book :)
hydrogen
CD-RW Player

Postby thegdog on Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:15 pm

aviationwiz wrote:They just lost me as a customer, bad-mouthing your competitor is not the way to go about doing business. I'd buy from them if they had a newegg like approach, where they just say "We only ship FedEx" but when they bad-mouth the competitor, whoever it is, that's where they loose me.

That was pretty tame "bad-mouthing." Being that I hate UPS (and regularly refer to them as "the Delivery Service of Satan") I was expecting them to get trashed on this web site to cause such an uproar.

Not to mention that UPS would not be this company's competitor. They're FedEx's competitor, but these comments are not from FedEx, are they?
Last edited by thegdog on Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thegdog
CD-RW Player

Postby jase on Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:28 pm

Yeah, a company bashing UPS like that is no worse than a company bashing DVD+R, like the hilarious nipple media.com.....

http://www.nipplemedia.com/acatalog/DVD_R.html

hehe
jase
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:39 pm

jase wrote:Yeah, a company bashing UPS like that is no worse than a company bashing DVD+R, like the hilarious nipple media.com.....

http://www.nipplemedia.com/acatalog/DVD_R.html

hehe

That is the funniest webpage for selling blank media I've ever seen! :o

I bet they sell more blank media due to those pics too :wink:

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby jase on Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:44 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:That is the funniest webpage for selling blank media I've ever seen! :o

I bet they sell more blank media due to those pics too :wink:

:D

Check out the front page, if you haven't already www.nipplemedia.com

"Click on our belly buttons to shop online"

"Prices that'll make you want to shake your tic-tacs" :lol: :lol:

"All orders are delivered in discrete wrapping" :P :oops:

And a couple of other gems.

hehehe
jase
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:44 pm

hehehe, that is too funny. I'm surprised they don't have their own naughty branded media :lol:

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby jase on Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:57 pm

Well you know what dolph, who knows if you connect them with your friends at Optodisc you might get commission, who knows.... 8)
jase
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:13 pm

I love that website.

"Supplying DVD & CDR media with a sense of humour."

I wonder if they'd want to advertise here. :wink:
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Ian on Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:15 pm

lol..

Ritek Grade A Overprint Media