Home News Reviews Forums Shop

bad luck lately...

What was that?

bad luck lately...

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:22 am

So I go out and spend $300 on my new PX-712a, and I pop it into my burning computer (as opposed to my web browsing computer) and the computer stops working. I eventually find out that whenever a cable is stuck onto one of the IDE ports, the computer refuses to boot (screen goes completely blank). When I remove the cable, the computer boots, but is a little unstable. So I go and spend another $150 buying a brand new motherboard, and just in case, I replace EVERY IDE cable in the computer, and buy a whole bunch of spares just in case (I got them dirt cheap!)

So I go and install everything, and the screen keeps going blank still... I don't know why. Then I swap out the GFX card for the one in my working computer (the webbrowsing one) and it works. So now it looks like I'll be buying a new video card soon.... ARGH!!!

All I want to do is be able to play with my new PX-712a!!! but my webbrowsing machine can't handle the speed, and my burning computer isn't setup for the things I need on a day to day basis (business stuff)...

So I've put the PX-712a into my browser machine, and I'll be using it for slow burning, and some testing... but at least it's SOMETHING! :cry:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby hoxlund on Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:27 am

well i love my 5900 ultra (256mb) im sure you can find one for $262:

http://www.pricewatch.com/1/37/5586-1.htm

or if your an ati kinda guy 9800 pro 256mb for $257:

http://www.pricewatch.com/1/37/5522-1.htm
Thermaltake Core X5 Snow Edition TG Case
Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
AMD Threadripper 1950x @ 4.1GHz
Custom Loop w/ EK MSI x399 Monoblock
G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 3200 RGB Memory
MSI 1080Ti Lightning X Video Card
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby TheWizard on Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:51 am

Is it a power problem? I can't imagine the Plexy sucks that much juice, but I don't know what else you have in the computer. The Plexy may have put it over the limit, which, in turn, caused some other hardware to fail. If the GFX card that used to be in your burning machine was a beast that sucked a lot of juice, then putting a lesser juice-sucking GFX card, as like the one from your web browsing machine, into your burning machine then that would support the power overage theory. Just an idea.
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:32 am

hrm... the power supply DOES suck... it's on my replace list too, maybe I'll bump it up ahead on that list and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks for the idea!!
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Kennyshin on Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:30 pm

My Antec 550w PSU generates less noise than the PSU in one of my slim-sized aluminum cases. :(
Kennyshin
CD-RW Player

Return to Rants n' Raves