Home News Reviews Forums Shop

State of the Beer Garden Address

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

State of the Beer Garden Address

Postby socheat on Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:51 am

I moved this post to it's own thread, as not to completely take the topic leg4li2ed0pe started on an unrelated tangent.

I find the Beer Garden most intriguing. In the last couple weeks, I've always been amazed at how fast just about every topic in here (and even in some threads outside the Beer Garden) goes completely off track, politics are discussed for a few posts (though vague references to politics are often enough), then a flamewar ensues. And the topic of politics isn't even the topic that historically causes the most problems; religion is! And we've shown in several threads that religion can be discussed in a civil, respectful manner. Even when people slip and make a somewhat controversial joke, or even a serious statement, the original poster and those offended come to terms and we move on.

Maybe religion is too touchy of a subject that we aren't willing to take it to the levels of debate that we do with politics. I personally think if we can discuss religion with respect, then politics should be a piece of cake. When I say resepect, I mean without talking about sexual organs and their sizes, sexuality preference, people's wives or significant others, people's assumed or accused age, and what her or she does for a living (or should do for a living). The above list should not be considered all-inclusive nor exhaustive. Sure, following these rules will make for boring posts that I will probably never read (honestly, the only reason why I read any of the politics related threads is to hear the funny, completely-unrelated-to-the-actual-discussion insults thrown back and forth :wink: ). But at least the people truly interested in the threads can actually feel productive when reading these particular topics and hopefully enlightened by the honest, civilized discussions. But hey, these flamewars are not without their merits. Never would I have dreamed that AviationWiz and JamieW would be lumped together on the same side. :o

If I had my way, we'd go back to discussing (and seeing) all the scantily clad avatars. :D At least then I wouldn't feel dirty after having read the thread. O:)

We now return to your regularly scheduled flamewar. :roll:
socheat
CD-RW Player

Postby hoxlund on Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:13 am

well i agree on the avatars, i think there getting outta control
Thermaltake Core X5 Snow Edition TG Case
Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
AMD Threadripper 1950x @ 4.1GHz
Custom Loop w/ EK MSI x399 Monoblock
G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 3200 RGB Memory
MSI 1080Ti Lightning X Video Card
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby socheat on Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:23 am

Sure, some of the avatar images were getting a little risque and out of control, but the discussion never did. Or at least, the discussion didn't go careening out of control like some others, and quickly came back to the topic at hand.

Personally, I'd rather have a respectful, civil discussion on a disrespectful, uncivil topic than an uncivil, disrepectful conversation on what most people consider a civil topic. :-?
socheat
CD-RW Player

Re: State of the Beer Garden Address

Postby BuddhaTB on Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:59 pm

Socheat wrote:If I had my way, we'd go back to discussing (and seeing) all the scantily clad avatars. :D At least then I wouldn't feel dirty after having read the thread. O:)

AMEN!

The avatars we have now are BORING. We need to go back to the scantily clad avatars even if they were rated PG-13 or worse. I swear this forum is somewhat boring, that is why I only bother checking the Beer Garden, Hot Deals, and Hardware forums. We need to spice things up around here by bringing back the female avatars and having some better discussions in the Beer Garden.

As for you Monte, could you please move on with Jen and go find yourself someone else. There are plenty of fish in the sea, so I'm sure you can find someone better suited for you. I for one, am tired of seeing your threads about ur relationship when you just ignore the advice everyone has provided. Nothing against you as a person, we just get sick of seeing the similar topics over and over again.

I really don't care if I have been blunt or not, because this is the Beer Garden and I am entitled to speak my opinions. Thank you for your time and FLAME on!
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby UALOneKPlus on Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:56 am

LOL :lol:
"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint you can on it."
-Danny Kaye
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

Return to The Beer Garden